Author Topic: Classic Game Room Leaving YouTube (as well as many other gamer shows)  (Read 1654 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

So Youtube made a new terms of use deal that significantly restricted the use of copyright material in videos. Despite many companies not even being in support of banning their copyrighted material (for many companies it's basically free advertising).

As a result, Classic Game Room, CGRUndertow, and CGRTrailers are leaving YouTube and continuing on their own website: www.ClassicGameRoom.com (naturally).

Apparently a LOT of the internet game reviewers are affected by this change.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:33:36 pm by burningdoom »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: Classic Game Room Leaving YouTube
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:30:10 pm »
Honestly I'm not Surprised people that can leave are leaving. I can't imagine how many of his videos got Copyright claims. this is affecting A lot of youtube partners I know Projared had his Nuzlockes claimed and Angryjoe has 62 of his videos claimed, love or hate the guy that's ridiculous. and it pisses me the fuck off because if it wasn't for those reviews, Let's plays (as much of a gray area as that is), and general discussions I would not have a Bulk of my collection and Wishlist. Anyways I digress, Let's bow our heads in a moment of silence for CGR's Youtube pages

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Classic Game Room Leaving YouTube (as well as many other gamer shows)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:35:27 pm »
This affects me personally, a lot.

AVGN will be okay, because he was ScrewAttack.com to fall back on. And we already know CGR & CGRUndertow will be okay.

But some others I watch, that I'm wondering about: Gamerster81, MetalJesusRocks, TurboViews, Game Sack, and Irate Gamer.

Those were the main reasons I came to YouTube.

I wonder if music videos and tracks will be affected. If so, then I will have zero reason to go to YouTube anymore.

pacpix

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:57:37 pm »
Ugh this sucks.  One of the things I like about YouTube is the subscription feed which allows me to have all of the gaming channels I watch in one place.  I think most of the retro gaming YouTube community will transition over to sites like RetrowareTV, but this is going to shut down a lot of great channels.
I am definitely going to still be watching CGR everyday though.
ALL HAIL LORD KARNAGE!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 11:03:39 pm »
by the way my name is redgrave over at the wind squid pub (their forums)

pacpix

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 11:21:29 pm »
I don't know how much I will visit the forums, but I have the same name I have here.

Edit: I am also looking forward to play the new Space Gar game on the Atareks 5201 ha.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:23:17 pm by pacpix »
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:30:25 am »
I was planning on starting some sort of review thing in the future. This bites.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 05:30:29 am »
Well, it's not really a big deal if you're not doing it for the money. You can still upload videos, it's just that the companies will be making the money off of it, instead of you. Since I don't make money off of YT anyways, it doesn't affect me.

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 02:37:13 pm »
I wonder if Twitch has the ability to upload videos. They could be smart and do this and grab a bunch of the guys leaving Youtube. Especially since they already support video game tagging of streams. I know that there are recorded (Highlights) on there already.

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 02:43:12 pm »
I wonder if Twitch has the ability to upload videos. They could be smart and do this and grab a bunch of the guys leaving Youtube. Especially since they already support video game tagging of streams. I know that there are recorded (Highlights) on there already.

They don't, but they seem to have the habit of kicking out people who aren't "gamey" enough.

That and their support is rather... lacking. And drama filled.

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 02:47:03 pm »

They don't, but they seem to have the habit of kicking out people who aren't "gamey" enough.

I think its fine they decided to settle on games. This might hurt them eventually, but I remember what it (and Justin/uStream) was like before. I think maybe instead of having to deal with constantly being handed DMCA notices, they switched to something they could handle. I agree that there are problems, especially since they never fully completed the integration with the Justin backend... which doesn't work properly if you attempt to say... change notification settings... And I also remember when they had their problem and a bunch of casters bolted for uStream, but at that time I was a mod on Justin so I never switched over myself.

foxhack

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 04:21:25 pm »

I think its fine they decided to settle on games. This might hurt them eventually, but I remember what it (and Justin/uStream) was like before. I think maybe instead of having to deal with constantly being handed DMCA notices, they switched to something they could handle. I agree that there are problems, especially since they never fully completed the integration with the Justin backend... which doesn't work properly if you attempt to say... change notification settings... And I also remember when they had their problem and a bunch of casters bolted for uStream, but at that time I was a mod on Justin so I never switched over myself.

I have a Justin account. Apparently I can't stream on Twitch because of some changeover they did a year ago that I had no idea about. They now refuse to change your account over and tell you to make a new account instead.

This thread (which is now deleted) says that you could move if you have "active subs". So it's only done for paying customers.

sin2beta

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 10:54:05 am »
Well, it's not really a big deal if you're not doing it for the money. You can still upload videos, it's just that the companies will be making the money off of it, instead of you. Since I don't make money off of YT anyways, it doesn't affect me.

This.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks. And it certainly affects everyone who does youtube for a career. It sucks for people who are getting a lot of new claims. But this isn't really a surprising turn of events. One of the major rules in starting a business is to not make your stream of revenue dependent on another company. The ones who were smart, CGR and Far From Subtle come to mind. CGR has been working on their own website for a while. Web Design has never been their forte, however, so I am a little worried. They used to have forums years ago. They were not able to keep up with them from what I saw. FarFromSubtle has their own subscription service outside youtube. In fact, their take on the situation is interesting (the first one is the quick one, watch that one deifinitely, watch the second for a deeper coverage):

I don't know. But I don't think it will affect MetalJesus and Gamester too much. I can't speak for them, but they seem to be more on the hobby level with day jobs.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c