Author Topic: Spelling debate  (Read 1542 times)

topspot123

Spelling debate
« on: August 09, 2012, 06:33:54 pm »
In the 'other optional details' field I noticed the Cart/Disk label and it occurred to me that Cart/Disc would be the more common spelling.  I'm not sure if anyone really cares, including myself.  I was just curious about the general consensus and how difficult it would be to change it.

soera

Re: Spelling debate
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:41:45 pm »
Ive always used the word "Disk" cause of Everquest. A "Disc" on there is a discipline and I never wanted to confuse the two terms.

According to Wiki, its actually Compact Disc but the wiki definition of disk claims that disc is international and disk is American.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:10:13 am »
Personally, and I really don't even know why, I've always used it as:

Floppy-Disks
and
PS1, 2, 3 games etc = discs.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

blipcs76

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:57:47 am »
That's correct:

Magnetic medium such as hard drives or floppies are spelled disk
Optical medium like CD or DVD are spelled disc

matt

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:43 am »
That's correct:

This is absolutely correct and I feel like a noob for not spelling it right. I'll add it to my to-do list. Probably won't get done soon though since I've been ridiculously busy lately. Hopefully life will settle down soon!

htimreimer

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 11:56:23 am »
That's correct:

This is absolutely correct and I feel like a noob for not spelling it right. I'll add it to my to-do list. Probably won't get done soon though since I've been ridiculously busy lately. Hopefully life will settle down soon!
does that mean we should separate dos and windows and i know thare both pc but  because weird spelling like disk or disc and the fact that pc's use other media also the floppie games were pretty much dead whan windows was out because of cds but but then again this would  be a pain in the a$$ to do

psydswipe

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:43:18 pm »
That's correct:

does that mean we should separate dos and windows and i know thare both pc but  because weird spelling like disk or disc and the fact that pc's use other media also the floppie games were pretty much dead whan windows was out because of cds but but then again this would  be a pain in the a$$ to do

I'm not sure I understand you but if a game was released on 3.5" disks for DOS and then again on CD for Windows I believe they would have separate UPCs and therefore separate listings. Is that what you mean? I don't think a product that ships on different media would have the same UPC, I could be wrong but I wouldn't worry about that.

topspot123

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:36:06 pm »
That's correct:

I'm not sure I understand you but if a game was released on 3.5" disks for DOS and then again on CD for Windows I believe they would have separate UPCs and therefore separate listings. Is that what you mean? I don't think a product that ships on different media would have the same UPC, I could be wrong but I wouldn't worry about that.

I believe(?) he means that Disk would be appropriate for DOS or floppy disk windows games, and others, and that spelling could stay the same for those games, but change for the others.  There are other media that Cart/Disc doesn't cover, such as data cassette, but I would think that it would be unnecessary and unfeasible to do it per entry.  I never meant to upset the tea table, I was just wanted to spur discussion and see if it was worthwhile to make a small change.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 05:04:30 pm »
^^^^^  No worries...You didn't do anything wrong to feel bad about  ;D ^^^^^
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

htimreimer

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 08:43:07 pm »
That's correct:

what i am saying is has the pc  change enough to spit dos and windows like with all the different media pc games have been on among other things

psydswipe

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 06:18:31 am »
I guess I'm not sure which field is being referenced, was thinking it was something on a game's details but I hadn't added or edited anything in a while. Looking now I see the Cart/Disk check box when you rest the cursor over an item you own (is this the other optional details?). There is also Cart/Disc for image submission.