Author Topic: VG Collect forum buyers guide  (Read 2120 times)

VG Collect forum buyers guide
« on: March 10, 2014, 02:59:34 pm »
i didn't really see a thread like this, but if i happened to have over looked a thread that already exists like this i wouldnt care if this was combined over to that thread or whatever a mod would have to do.

pretty much this thread is for price suggestions from the collecting veterans that post on this very board.
someone trying to offer you games? craigslist ad seem a little high? post here and wait for people to give you an idea of what they think you should buy it for. this idea came to me when a co-worker told me he has a lot of snes stuff he was willing to sell me. i want to get a good deal on his stuff, but i also want to give him an offer that is fair and more than what he'd maybe get for selling his stuff at a game store.

so the kids got:
SNES + 2 controllers
DKC1
DKC2
super mario world
battle toads + double dragon
street fighter 2
super ghouls n ghosts
some power rangers game
a batman game (not exactly sure which one this is, im pretty sure there are a few it could be)
toy story
turtles in time
lion king
megaman x
a spider man game
spiderman maximum carnage
capcom football game
and possibly starfox is floating around in his pad

id also like to mention that he said he'd hook me up with megaman x and battle toads for free for picking up one of his shifts.

so what do you guys think? he also has an n64 and games for grabs too but idk if i could afford both this week.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Re: VG Collect forum buyers guide
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:42:32 pm »
Is everything boxed?

That can make a huge difference.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:16:51 pm »
Did dude even have a number in mind?  I would try for $100, since you know the guy.  It depends on where you look. A game store will give him probably $20 for the SNES and $1-$2 per game.  If he wants to look on eBay, you could be out $200+.  If I didn't know the guy, I'd be trying for close to $50; but I'm a cheap bastard.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:12:28 pm »
everything is lose, and personally i was thinking around 60ish bucks possibly +15 or 25 bucks depending how generous i was feeling (also depending on how my check is) i don't think he's checked ebay or the thought has ever crossed his mind.

funny story about that though is that when he was telling me about what he had he sent me a message that only said "yo i just looked and..." and my heart was pounding. all i could think of is how he looked at those ebay prices and i was just thinking "christ... here we go" but he had just found another game.

the local game stores here wont give you anything for your stuff either. i sold my snes and all of my games for a MODEST 45 bucks. that was including games like the entire DKC series, super mario world, mario kart, super metroid, a link to the past, POCKY AND ROCKY, kirby super star and 20 other classic games so i don't think he'd get much at all for his stuff here. that's actually why i was thinking 60 was a fair price, he'd be getting more than he would from the game store and id be making a deal too.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:36:23 pm »
I have a personal rule of thumb when collecting games. Unless it is something I really, really want I usally wont pay over 1/3 of a respective game's average ebay price at the time, mostly paying attention to auction style prices (buy it nows are too random). But, if it is something I want I'll pay retail for it if it is a newer game, or will pay at the most what it typically goes for on Ebay. When possible I always try and buy low though, but that is a no brainer :P. It has guided me well since I began collecting games.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:37:08 pm »
someone is selling little samson and panic restaurant on craigslist. they didn't post any kind of price, they just want offers. i offered 250 bucks, is that fair? my dream is to get all the taito releases for the NES, which is quite pricy, so do you think there is any chance in hell i could snag these for 250?

right now both games are hovering around like 500 bucks on ebay which is insane. i know these games weren't always priced this high. how much did they use to go for? ugh i just hope this dude isn't a reseller trying to get top dollar for em, but a gamer who wants these to go to a good home.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:43:55 pm »
welp, he wanted 800 for both citing ebay as his price guide. fucking ebay ruins everything. i don't think he'll ever sell em. i can't imagine spending that kind of cash just for one game. i know they're rare, but jesus.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:56:42 pm »
welp, he wanted 800 for both citing ebay as his price guide. fucking ebay ruins everything. i don't think he'll ever sell em. i can't imagine spending that kind of cash just for one game. i know they're rare, but jesus.

You may have possibly dodged a bullet there. I have seen a lot of fake Samsons, Flintstone 2s, and other valuable NES games on CL over the past year. There was a women in New Mexico who was posting them on the Denver CL for a while for like $400 each which was a relative bargain, if they were real that is. These might have been legit, who knows, but imo spending that much on any game is just insane.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 11:17:59 pm »
seriously. when did LS and PR reach near nintendo world championship levels of prices?

isnt the way to tell the difference between a real and a fake LS is if its a three screw vs. the fake 5 screw?

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 12:00:18 am »
ugh i just hope this dude isn't a reseller trying to get top dollar for em, but a gamer who wants these to go to a good home.
Heheheh...  The seller might be a gamer but also one that wants the optimum price.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 01:11:52 am »
seriously. when did LS and PR reach near nintendo world championship levels of prices?

isnt the way to tell the difference between a real and a fake LS is if its a three screw vs. the fake 5 screw?

I'm not a 100% sure, but I am pretty sure it has to do with the board, it's different than the original. A friend of mine bought a Flintstones 2 from her, only to find out a few days later that it was a fake. He tried contacting her about it, but she wouldn't reply to him anymore. She has not posted ads in quite some time, maybe she pissed off the wrong person or grew a heart.