Author Topic: I know its been mentioned before but ....  (Read 2759 times)

Re: I know its been mentioned before but ....
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 04:17:47 am »
If this is true.... my ass.  Kiss it.
This space for rent.  Affordable rates.  Inquire within.

htimreimer

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 06:14:57 am »
i dont think nintendo would ever do this and reason i say that is because nintendo hates change and if they don't have to change they won't and the only reason to do this is be a greedy assholes and nintendo doesn't need to be greedy because they have the most iconic characters in video game history and i'm pretty sure 80 to 90 of percent  people who have nintendo console will buy the latest zelda and mario game new and the same go's for all of there other games because people trust them to make good to excellent games and they build that trust up by listening to their customers and the last nintendo direct proofs that and some thing like this will break that trust and nintendo would  not like that but sony and microsoft are more of corporation and only cares  about what will make them money and not what the customers wants and this would make them more money
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:32:27 am by htimreimer »

insektmute

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 11:03:26 am »
nintendo doesn't need to be greedy because they have the most iconic characters in video game history and i'm pretty sure 80 to 90 of percent  people who have nintendo console will buy the latest zelda and mario game new and the same go's for all of there other games because people trust them to make good to excellent games and they build that trust up by listening to their customers and the last nintendo direct proofs that and some thing like this will break that trust and nintendo would  not like that but sony and microsoft are more of corporation and only cares  about what will make them money and not what the customers wants and this would make them more money

A lot of people seem to have developed this idea that Nintendo is a company of happy, friendly people that loves them in a special kind of way, and is somehow exempt from the greed and calculating coldness that permeates other, lesser corporations.

Let's get this out of the way: Nintendo is not your friend. Sony isn't your friend. Microsoft isn't your friend. Every single one of them has, at various points, done things to fuck over customers, third-party developers and publishers, and journalists. Let's rewind a little bit and cover some highlights.

- Nintendo was sued (and lost) for imposing draconian contracts on third parties that stipulated that they were not allowed to release games on competing platforms if they wanted to release on Nintendo consoles.

- The fairly infamous incident where Nintendo contracted Sony to create a CD add-on for the SNES, then publically shamed them by announcing a contract with Philips for the same thing... while Sony was demonstrating their product for Nintendo at the same tech show.

- Now retired Nintendo chairman Hiroshi Yamauchi shitting all over RPG fans - "People who play RPGs are depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games." He's currently among the top 500 wealthiest people in the world.

I could go on. I'm not saying Nintendo is evil, and Microsoft and Sony are shiny, happy companies that love you, but I'm really tired of people pretending that Nintendo is somehow not just as much of an evil, greedy corporation. They're not still around because they have iconic characters, they're still around because they know how this game is played, and this industry is every bit as nasty and backbiting as any other.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 11:33:44 am »
A lot of people seem to have developed this idea that Nintendo is a company of happy, friendly people that loves them in a special kind of way, and is somehow exempt from the greed and calculating coldness that permeates other, lesser corporations.

Let's get this out of the way: Nintendo is not your friend. Sony isn't your friend. Microsoft isn't your friend. Every single one of them has, at various points, done things to fuck over customers, third-party developers and publishers, and journalists.

Q.
F.
T.

This.

So very, very much  8)

"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

htimreimer

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 04:09:53 pm »
nintendo doesn't need to be greedy because they have the most iconic characters in video game history and i'm pretty sure 80 to 90 of percent  people who have nintendo console will buy the latest zelda and mario game new and the same go's for all of there other games because people trust them to make good to excellent games and they build that trust up by listening to their customers and the last nintendo direct proofs that and some thing like this will break that trust and nintendo would  not like that but sony and microsoft are more of corporation and only cares  about what will make them money and not what the customers wants and this would make them more money

Let's get this out of the way: Nintendo is not your friend. Sony isn't your friend. Microsoft isn't your friend. Every single one of them has, at various points, done things to fuck over customers, third-party developers and publishers, and journalists. Let's rewind a little bit and cover some highlights.

- Nintendo was sued (and lost) for imposing draconian contracts on third parties that stipulated that they were not allowed to release games on competing platforms if they wanted to release on Nintendo consoles.

- The fairly infamous incident where Nintendo contracted Sony to create a CD add-on for the SNES, then publically shamed them by announcing a contract with Philips for the same thing... while Sony was demonstrating their product for Nintendo at the same tech show.

- Now retired Nintendo chairman Hiroshi Yamauchi shitting all over RPG fans - "People who play RPGs are depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games." He's currently among the top 500 wealthiest people in the world.

I could go on. I'm not saying Nintendo is evil, and Microsoft and Sony are shiny, happy companies that love you, but I'm really tired of people pretending that Nintendo is somehow not just as much of an evil, greedy corporation. They're not still around because they have iconic characters, they're still around because they know how this game is played, and this industry is every bit as nasty and backbiting as any other.
out of the three evils nintendo is not evilest and i do agree that nintendo has done some vary shitty things but nintendo also has had the same old school mindset for the last 124 years and something like this would feel out of place for nintendo

sin2beta

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 05:29:08 pm »
In all honestly I'm going to just wait until the actual announcement to get upset.

This.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

insektmute

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 05:39:14 pm »
out of the three evils nintendo is not evilest and i do agree that nintendo has done some vary shitty things but nintendo also has had the same old school mindset for the last 124 years and something like this would feel out of place for nintendo

There is a difference between brand identity and being resistant to common sense. The lack of Blu-ray support for the Wii U, especially considering they're using a proprietary variant of the format, is not "old-school" at this point, it's stupid. Asking people to pay $300+ for a console that addresses what people were clamoring for 8 years ago is stupid. Admitting that you had to ask other companies for advice on how to develop games for your own fucking product is stupid.

You're right that Nintendo won't go the same route as Microsoft and Sony, but it's not because they're old-school and special, it's because their business model is based on offering outdated technology at a comparative premium in order to maximize profit margins. Gunpei Yokoi developed this concept, albeit wrapped up in a nice, feel-good package, and it's been their modus operandi ever since... and Nintendo threw him out on his ass minute this philosophy didn't translate into high profits.

htimreimer

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 06:00:49 pm »

There is a difference between brand identity and being resistant to common sense. The lack of Blu-ray support for the Wii U, especially considering they're using a proprietary variant of the format, is not "old-school" at this point, it's stupid. Asking people to pay $300+ for a console that addresses what people were clamoring for 8 years ago is stupid. Admitting that you had to ask other companies for advice on how to develop games for your own fucking product is stupid.

You're right that Nintendo won't go the same route as Microsoft and Sony, but it's not because they're old-school and special, it's because their business model is based on offering outdated technology at a comparative premium in order to maximize profit margins. Gunpei Yokoi developed this concept, albeit wrapped up in a nice, feel-good package, and it's been their modus operandi ever since... and Nintendo threw him out on his ass minute this philosophy didn't translate into high profits.

people don't seem to understand that nintendo see consoles as toys and not as a form of media like sony or microsoft and that's why you don't see them adding blu-ray/dvd support or high end graphics and that there business model

ffxik

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 04:23:57 pm »

people don't seem to understand that nintendo see consoles as toys and not as a form of media like sony or microsoft and that's why you don't see them adding blu-ray/dvd support or high end graphics and that there business model

Nintendo of America sees their consoles as toys.  Nintendo of Japan on the other hand.  They make consoles that will sale, sale cheap, and sale quickly.  Nintendo have been riding  a wave of stardom ever since they "saved" the video games industry in the 80's  Most seem to have the idea that Nintendo only cares for the consumer.  Scratch the surface of their business practices though and you will see they like the others only care about maximizing profits and minimizing costs by any means necessary.  This is typical of any business that plans on staying around for a while.

On topic though.  I believe that Microsoft themselves said early last year that they weren't going to penalize the used games.  Were they lying?, maybe.  Time will tell.  Remember that these "news sites" like to generate crap for hits.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:27:50 pm by ffxik »