Author Topic: xbox Fanboys petitioning to bring back the restrictions  (Read 1613 times)

htimreimer

xbox Fanboys petitioning to bring back the restrictions
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:45:19 pm »
i can believe but this is true

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: xbox Fanboys petitioning to bring back the restrictions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:21:45 pm »
I'll sum it up in 4 little words
PEOPLE ARE FUCKING STUPID

madmax

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:58:19 pm »
A lot of Sony fanboys are getting behind this to ultimately see the Xbox fail. Microsoft has already damaged their reputation, we won't be seeing this come back because of the petition. Microsoft didn't say the reversal was permanent anyways, I'm sure it's pretty likely that they will bring it back in an update down the road anyways.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 11:14:42 pm »
What a bunch of BS.

soera

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 12:08:15 am »
I could see what Madmax is saying. Its kind of a devious scheme that really might work.

haloofthesun

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 12:46:21 am »
I'll sum it up in 4 little words
PEOPLE ARE FUCKING STUPID

This is always a good explanation for pretty much anything.

theflea

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 12:11:38 pm »
I for one will boycott Microsoft if they ever bring back online only and all DMR games.
And if my Xbox One ever tells me to update I'll go online to see what other people say about the updates before excepting it.
If it means never going online again on my Xbox One, then oh well, at least it will play the games I already own offline and won't be a future paperweight.

And yes most of the people signing this petition are just Sony Fanboys that think it's funny and want to see the Xbox One fail.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 02:13:42 pm »
Being an XBox collector I follow that community a decent amount. There is an audience that does honestly want the old setup. There is a type of gamer that seems to be the stereotypical XBox user that comes home, pops on their headset, connects to live and just chats with their buddies while playing games. They don't go to each others houses. Most of the time they are in completely different parts of the country or world. To this type of gamer the Family Share Plan was amazing. Now, the problem is that there is a lot of miscommunication on the Family Share. One side is yelling you only get 60 minutes unless you are on the main machine. Well, it seems that this was not true. Another side is yelling, you get to play other people's whole library and beat the games as long as you are one of their 10 people. Well, this doesn't seem to be true either. Like most things the truth lies in an area of gray. I've been following it for a while and still don't know. It is easy to find sources claiming both. Easy to find official quotes claiming both. Much harder to find official documentation with clear language describing the scenarios. This has caused the problem. Both sides are providing "official" "credible" links for each argument.

I don't do a lot of online gaming anymore. So, family share does not appeal to me. But remembering my StarCraft days, I would have loved this. I stayed online constantly. I remember a friend wanting me to get into Diablo 2, but I didn't want to buy it. We just wanted to hack away online some. Family share would have been perfect. I wanted them to try Phantasy Star Online (I had it on PC and was part of the beta :-) Although I don't remember if it got a solid release here or that I just kept the beta). They did not want to put up the money to buy it. Family share would have been perfect. And one thing that you can find official documentation on is that two people can be on the game at once with family share. That form of sharing is the exact reason for it. That is an awesome feature. Family share had some awesome parts to it.

Another argument is that having to have the disc is a much more restrictive form of DRM. In the case of discs, you have to verify that you own the product every time you play it. Although, I don't agree with that viewpoint. I also can't say that viewpoint is wrong. Actually, I find the amount of truth in that statement almost palpable.

I'll be the black sheep and say I would like to see a lot of those features come back except for two dealbreaking features. I would like the option to be able to play offline an unlimited amount of time IF you have the physical disc. Second, I want used games. I honestly, like the features of XBox One. I like the always online aspect. I don't like that it would become a paperweight once the authentication servers went off. That was really the only thing I disliked. These are not being asked to be brought back either. But it seems unclear on what you could actually do. Per the original petition selling games were a big part of it (bold is my doing):

This was to be the future of entertainment. A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses. Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumers uncertainty.

To be honest, I also don't even mind the always on kinect. But that is a rant in itself.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 06:57:02 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:32:48 pm »
This was to be the future of entertainment. A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses. Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumers uncertainty.

Maybe part of the reason they were uninformed is because Microsoft has/had a bunch of buffoons in charge that didn't know what they were talking about. They had so many contradictory statements pushed out to the press that it seems like this was their first rodeo.

Personally, even if they had done a better job on selling the public on it. I would never bought into it, I'm extremely anti-digital and I'll always go physical over digital on a console/handheld when given the option to do so. I'll never buy a 3DS game on the eShop, I'll never buy a Xbox 360 Games on Demand title or a PSN version of a Retail available game, and any ones I do have were free.

Though I do support indie developers digital content, and I've come to accept the fact the PC gaming is pretty much nearly 100% digital now. I dislike the "Cloud" and will not buy a game that requires Cloud processing in order to run, because once the servers die, it's gone. Same goes for the Xbox One, if they stuck w/ the always online, then eventually it will become worthless.

Edit: I just realized that I might have sounded a little more dickish than I intended. It's been a really shitty couple of days. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:34:59 pm by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 07:45:40 pm »

Maybe part of the reason they were uninformed is because Microsoft has/had a bunch of buffoons in charge that didn't know what they were talking about. They had so many contradictory statements pushed out to the press that it seems like this was their first rodeo.

Personally, even if they had done a better job on selling the public on it. I would never bought into it, I'm extremely anti-digital and I'll always go physical over digital on a console/handheld when given the option to do so. I'll never buy a 3DS game on the eShop, I'll never buy a Xbox 360 Games on Demand title or a PSN version of a Retail available game, and any ones I do have were free.

Though I do support indie developers digital content, and I've come to accept the fact the PC gaming is pretty much nearly 100% digital now. I dislike the "Cloud" and will not buy a game that requires Cloud processing in order to run, because once the servers die, it's gone. Same goes for the Xbox One, if they stuck w/ the always online, then eventually it will become worthless.

Edit: I just realized that I might have sounded a little more dickish than I intended. It's been a really shitty couple of days. Sorry about that.

I don't think you came off dickish at all. I agree very much with your first paragraph. I would also add that a lot of people stated they needed to do a better job selling it. I don't think that's the case. It's simpler than that. They were contradicting themselves. I don't think we know for certain what setup we would have got completely (at least on family share other things were definitely concrete). It's not a matter of selling it but also just being able to communicate what you are planning to do. Microsoft failed at that.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 01:33:54 am »
When I heard about this I was honestly in awe....  I tried pretty hard to find the merit in these policies, but I really truly can not....