Author Topic: Shady Thrift Stores  (Read 915 times)

Shady Thrift Stores
« on: March 15, 2014, 01:22:52 am »
I would be very angry, however everything ended in a happy note, so I am fine. I will talk about 3 incidents that happened in a 24 hour span, in chronological and increasingly shady. Okay, on with the (true) stories!

I admit that the first one isn't really shady, but it's worth a mention. I went to a Salvation Army, and they charged my $3 for a game (Guitar Hero III). However, I checked and realized that games are supposed to be sold for $2. I complained to the employee at the front, and she let me have another game for free.

The next one is kind of shady, I would say. It was at a different Salvation Army, and items that were priced with purple stickers were 75% off. I found a game for $5 (NHL PowerPlay 98), and with the discount it was about $1.30. However, when I went to give them my money, they all of a sudden said that there shouldn't be a sticker on the game, and that it was actually $3 for the game. I argued with them, and eventually convinced them to sell the game to me for the original price.

The third one pissed my off the most. It was a local thrift store, and I found Parasite Eve II complete next to a stack of CDs. I went up the counter to buy it, and they talked to each other about the price, saying that it's $5 for the game. However, since it was with the CDs, and not the games where it was supposed to be, they said that they had to go to the back and re-price it. They come back, and it's $9, with the owner saying that she gave me a $1 "discount" (an outright lie, as they said that a game costs $5, so it's actually a $4 increase). I didn't buy it, and left the store complaining. My uncle got mad and went to complain, however the girl went to the back again. When she came back, she had the game priced at $20! He came out of the store (we were waiting for him outside) really angrily, and he explained what had happened. The good part is, that he ended up having a copy of the game, and in much better condition, which he gave to me ;D

So that's all, I hope that you all enjoyed reading this!

ffxik

Re: Shady Thrift Stores
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 01:47:04 am »
The last one, yea went to the back and checked Ebay.  Then ran it up accordingly.  I loathe these people.  I'm glad it all worked out in the end though.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 10:26:19 pm »
I found Parasite Eve II complete next to a stack of CDs. I went up the counter to buy it, and they talked to each other about the price, saying that it's $5 for the game. However, since it was with the CDs, and not the games where it was supposed to be

So games are one price and CD's another? If that's so then they were within their right to charge the price their store sets for games. Just because someone, (whether employee or a customer) put it in the wrong place doesn't mean that a game suddenly "becomes" a music CD. The second part, where it went up to $20 - my guess is having one person complain and then leave only to have the kids uncle come in and complain is the manager basically saying "Don't like $9? How about $20?"

Trying to see this from the stores POV. I've mentioned this before - these stores don't exist to give people cheap video games.

And as a manager I'd be supremely pissed at having "uncle" try to shame or yell me into a lower price. Sorry but as someone who's witnessed abuse on my wife who works in retail, that get's a big old "F-U uncle" from me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:30:04 pm by atarileaf »

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 11:09:26 pm »
I found Parasite Eve II complete next to a stack of CDs. I went up the counter to buy it, and they talked to each other about the price, saying that it's $5 for the game. However, since it was with the CDs, and not the games where it was supposed to be

So games are one price and CD's another? If that's so then they were within their right to charge the price their store sets for games. Just because someone, (whether employee or a customer) put it in the wrong place doesn't mean that a game suddenly "becomes" a music CD. The second part, where it went up to $20 - my guess is having one person complain and then leave only to have the kids uncle come in and complain is the manager basically saying "Don't like $9? How about $20?"

Trying to see this from the stores POV. I've mentioned this before - these stores don't exist to give people cheap video games.

And as a manager I'd be supremely pissed at having "uncle" try to shame or yell me into a lower price. Sorry but as someone who's witnessed abuse on my wife who works in retail, that get's a big old "F-U uncle" from me.

The CDs were priced at $4, and the games were priced at $5. Also, she changed the price from $9 to $20 before he even complained to her.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 07:18:58 am »

The CDs were priced at $4, and the games were priced at $5. Also, she changed the price from $9 to $20 before he even complained to her.

Well that changes everything then. The stores should honor their price structure and not change them on a whim. Sorry I was under the impression from the wording of your post that CD's were $5 and games were $10 (or $9 in your case)

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 08:00:23 am »

Well that changes everything then. The stores should honor their price structure and not change them on a whim. Sorry I was under the impression from the wording of your post that CD's were $5 and games were $10 (or $9 in your case)

Sorry if it seemed like that. The game didn't have a price tag on it, because it was in the wrong spot. I went  to ask for the price, and they said that it was $4 for a CD and $5 for a game. But after they returned from the back the game was suddenly $9. My uncle went to complain, but he had to wait to talk to them because they were in the back again, and when they finally returned again it was $20.