Author Topic: Kamikazee-Games better on PC or console  (Read 1201 times)

90snostalga

Kamikazee-Games better on PC or console
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:39:34 pm »
This thread is for help with games that are recommended on the PC versus a console. Mainly for me, games in the 2000s.  Kamikazee and Foxhack has a lot of knowledge on this but anyone can chime in.  I need to update my wish list appropriate by getting the console games that are better on pc out of my console category. 

First set of games that come to mind for me are:

*  All Mass Effect games

*  Borderlands

*  The first Halo (I do have the Halo HD remake for the 360 tho)

Re: Kamikazee-Games better on PC or console
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:46:06 pm »
I'm not sure if any of those are particularly any better on PC.  Like the first Mass Effect is not good on PC, but 2 and 3 are probably about equal to console, with the possibility of slightly better graphics on PC, but they are good on it.

Borderlands 1 is not good on PC at all, but Borderlands 2 certainly is.  Again, it's a situation of the game being certainly on par with the console version, but not really anything to surpass it as none of these games benefit from more high end graphics or modding.

Now for Halo, I would say the PC version is better because it does look to have a modding community, though I believe it's losing its multiplayer due to the loss of Gamespy.  You can see what mods there are below and while I regularly play games for their modding community (Fallout, STALKER), I haven't played Halo on PC in years.  I'd personally say Halo is better in general on PC because I prefer shooters on PC nowadays and the same goes for Borderlands 2 which is an FPS.  Third person shooters like Mass Effect don't quite matter as much in comparison to controller and keyboard/mouse personally.  I never played the Halo remake on 360, but that probably visually looks way better than the PC version I'm guessing.

http://www.moddb.com/games/halo-combat-evolved/mods

90snostalga

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 03:41:15 pm »
I'm not sure if any of those are particularly any better on PC.  Like the first Mass Effect is not good on PC, but 2 and 3 are probably about equal to console, with the possibility of slightly better graphics on PC, but they are good on it.

Borderlands 1 is not good on PC at all, but Borderlands 2 certainly is.  Again, it's a situation of the game being certainly on par with the console version, but not really anything to surpass it as none of these games benefit from more high end graphics or modding.

Now for Halo, I would say the PC version is better because it does look to have a modding community, though I believe it's losing its multiplayer due to the loss of Gamespy.  You can see what mods there are below and while I regularly play games for their modding community (Fallout, STALKER), I haven't played Halo on PC in years.  I'd personally say Halo is better in general on PC because I prefer shooters on PC nowadays and the same goes for Borderlands 2 which is an FPS.  Third person shooters like Mass Effect don't quite matter as much in comparison to controller and keyboard/mouse personally.  I never played the Halo remake on 360, but that probably visually looks way better than the PC version I'm guessing.

http://www.moddb.com/games/halo-combat-evolved/mods

Thanks for the details Kam.  I'm not much of a fan of MODs so I'll have to judge the console vs pc minus the mod capability.   I'm going to go with the 360 version for the games listed except for Halo.   I'm going to put that under pc wish list.

I'll let you know if I have more along the way and I'll post them here.

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 03:47:24 pm »
I've got one more for you I meant to ask that I just remembered when adding to wish list.  The "Bioshock" series?  PC or 360?

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 04:18:26 pm »
I've got one more for you I meant to ask that I just remembered when adding to wish list.  The "Bioshock" series?  PC or 360?

Basically much of the same as the previous games.  Nothing is particularly better on PC there other than I think Bioshock Infinite might look nicer on PC, but that's sorta it.

It's certainly tougher to find games that are better on PC compared to their console counterpart.  For me, the mod aspect makes a big difference, and I'll always prefer shooters on PC compared to console, but basic ports don't usually tend to be better on PC other than maybe graphics quality. 

90snostalga

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:33:38 am »
I ended up getting Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition for PC on clearance for 15.00 at wal mart.  I went on a limb hoping it's better than the 360 version

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:15:34 am »
I know I'm not kamikazekeeg, 90snostalga, I believe the Fallout games are definitely better on the PC.

On the collector's side, you could buy Fallout, Fallout II, and Fallout Tactics in one package nowadays if you want to own them all.  Just my personal opinion, I think the games definitely play better and, if you have the PC for it, graphics-superiority.  Mods are a plus since they've definitely placed some nice ones out there.  Also, if you definitely need to play a game with a controller, you just need to get the appropriate programs for them.  Although, for Xbox or PlayStation controllers, I think you may need to buy/have one that isn't set on the respective console.  Haven't fully tinkered with this option since I use a Logitech controller when I need to.

EDIT:  Also, if you buy Bioshock Infinite for PlayStation 3, you get the first Bioshock as a downloadable...  If I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:18:01 am by MJMaranan »

Please check out the games I have for sale.

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 08:34:55 am »
I know I'm not kamikazekeeg, 90snostalga, I believe the Fallout games are definitely better on the PC.

On the collector's side, you could buy Fallout, Fallout II, and Fallout Tactics in one package nowadays if you want to own them all.  Just my personal opinion, I think the games definitely play better and, if you have the PC for it, graphics-superiority.  Mods are a plus since they've definitely placed some nice ones out there.  Also, if you definitely need to play a game with a controller, you just need to get the appropriate programs for them.  Although, for Xbox or PlayStation controllers, I think you may need to buy/have one that isn't set on the respective console.  Haven't fully tinkered with this option since I use a Logitech controller when I need to.

EDIT:  Also, if you buy Bioshock Infinite for PlayStation 3, you get the first Bioshock as a downloadable...  If I remember correctly.

Thanks for the info.  I actually do own the combo pack of the Fallouts and now that I have the 3rd one, I think I got them all.  If I ever finish Diablo, I will probably try to tackle on Fallout next!   ;)