Author Topic: Should the New Nintendo 3DS be considered a new system?  (Read 2900 times)

abe

Re: Should the New Nintendo 3DS be considered a new system?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 09:38:44 pm »
I am in agreement with everyone else who thinks it isn't a new system. As many people have already said, this is like what happened with the DS and DSi. The New 3DS does some more things that the original doesn't, but it's still a 3DS.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

scott

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 09:49:52 am »
It seems like a strange thing. But we did split Game Boy Color from Game Boy. But we didn't split DSi from DS/DS lite...

So it seems to me that we can either:

- Split the New 3DS into it's own hardware section and games listing.
- Or we can leave the New 3DS in with the 3DS/3DS XL stuff and mix the games together.
- Or we can leave the New 3DS Hardware in with the 3DS hardware. And I can add new Regional cats for the games to be listed out separately.

Personally, I'm leaning toward option 1 or 3. If we go with Option 1, then we may need to split the DSi stuff out as well to keep things all consistent.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

tpugmire

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 10:23:42 am »
I think it may be best to wait and see exactly how many exclusive games it gets. If there ends up being a lot, then make the new categories. If we're only talking a handful, then it seems kind of pointless.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

devancowan

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 11:06:18 am »
For me, It's hard to say whether I would classify it as a "new" system. The improvements of the face tracking to stabilize the 3D and the other control pad are great. However without any exclusive games it would be stupid to say its a new system.
They also made un-needed "improvements" with the N3DSXL. Like putting the memory card underneath the back panel. I could see this as an improvement if peoples memory cards were falling out, but I'v never heard of anyones ever falling out. As well as completely taking off the wireless control. Both of those seem very unnecessary changes.

mrnikon

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 11:31:13 am »
It dose have that face tracking and games that will only work for it. Such as Xenoblade 3D, and Amiibo capabilities. as well as a few more control buttons. Looking at the specs is does look like a completely, although slightly different system then the Original 3DsXL. I would say its different from a collecting standpoint, but can see how it can be considered the same as the original 3Ds XL.

scott

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 01:33:08 pm »
I think it may be best to wait and see exactly how many exclusive games it gets. If there ends up being a lot, then make the new categories. If we're only talking a handful, then it seems kind of pointless.

True. It's too early to tell at the moment.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

gf78

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 02:37:58 pm »
Nintendo's naming conventions these days are ludicrous.  Nintendo Entertainment System followed by Super Nintendo Entertainment System followed by Nintendo 64 followed by Gamecube followed by Wii.  Good job guys.  Wii U?  What?  Is that a new controller attachment?  Huh?  That is what I saw most people trying to figure out.

GameBoy became GameBoy Color became GameBoy Advance became GameBoy Advance SP.  Easy to follow.  The DS family?  Not so much.  DS became DS Lite.  Became DSi.  Became 3DS.  Became 2DS (which just sounds stupid).  Became New 3DS.  It's ridiculous.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

theflea

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 05:48:00 am »
If in a year we see a ton of "New" 3DS games get released and the old 3DS games disappear then I might think different.
But as of right now so far only one exclusive game has been announced for this console, while I'm sure there will be a few more. I don't know if I'd call it it's own system yet. In time I might think different but as of right now it's just an upgraded 3DS like the DSi was to the DS lite.

as for the name. "New" Nintendo 3DS XL
In time the system won't be "new" anymore and that name just seems lazy to me. Nintendo 3DS XL Plus, EX, Extra, even Super Nintendo 3DS sounds better.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:53:24 am by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

mrnikon

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 01:35:46 pm »
Nintendo's naming conventions these days are ludicrous.  Nintendo Entertainment System followed by Super Nintendo Entertainment System followed by Nintendo 64 followed by Gamecube followed by Wii.  Good job guys.  Wii U?  What?  Is that a new controller attachment?  Huh?  That is what I saw most people trying to figure out.

GameBoy became GameBoy Color became GameBoy Advance became GameBoy Advance SP.  Easy to follow.  The DS family?  Not so much.  DS became DS Lite.  Became DSi.  Became 3DS.  Became 2DS (which just sounds stupid).  Became New 3DS.  It's ridiculous.
couldn't they just have called it the Super 3DS?

gf78

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 03:03:31 pm »
If in a year we see a ton of "New" 3DS games get released and the old 3DS games disappear then I might think different.
But as of right now so far only one exclusive game has been announced for this console, while I'm sure there will be a few more. I don't know if I'd call it it's own system yet. In time I might think different but as of right now it's just an upgraded 3DS like the DSi was to the DS lite.

as for the name. "New" Nintendo 3DS XL
In time the system won't be "new" anymore and that name just seems lazy to me. Nintendo 3DS XL Plus, EX, Extra, even Super Nintendo 3DS sounds better.

Nintendo just seems like a company that has no idea what they should be doing right now.  Like there is some giant tug-of-war between the Japanese side and the European/US divisions. 

They've completely botched the Ammibo's release in my mind.  There are a billion Mario's, Link's and Peach's on the shelves, but no Samus.  Then, they just summarily discontinue Villager, Marth and Trainer without so much as a word and in less than one month after release.  It is completely stupid to do this when anyone with a lick of sense can see these things getting scalped on eBay for ridiculous mark-ups.  Nintendo could be making money by producing these figures, but instead they just quit making them seemingly at random. 

Nintendo could rake in a ton of new Wii U system sales if they would just release games on it.  Obviously, compilations like Super Mario All-Stars are extremely popular, yet not a peep from Nintendo that they may consider it.  They would rather release digital downloads which I despise.  Celebrate how great Metroid is!  Give us a compilation of all the Metroid games for $60 with a commemorative book and soundtrack CD!  I would throw my money at them right now for something like that!

Look at what Bethesda did with Elder Scrolls Anthology.  A beautiful box set.  A disc for each individual game.  All add-ons, maps, etc.  The only thing they could have done better was include physical manuals, but the way the set is laid out and what it contains, that's a nitpick for the most part.  It's simply gorgeous and it was only $50 new when it was released.  Bethesda made their money back for the games long ago.  So this is just icing on top and a delight for fans of that world.  They are making pure profit and getting the Elder Scrolls into more gamers hands.  This ensures future sales when the next game comes out.  Nintendo should learn from this example.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:08:07 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 10:21:00 am »
I didn't realize the DSi had exclusives too. Nintendo's handhelds continue to confuse me.

So we have the NEW Nintendo 3DS that is Nintendo's newest handheld, not to be confused with the Nintendo 3DS because that is old. (Both of which play New Super Mario Bros.) Then we have the Nintendo 2DS which plays Nintendo 3DS games without the 3D effect and neither the Nintendo 2DS, nor the (OLD) Nintendo 3DS will play NEW Nintendo 3DS exclusive games. Oh and there are XL versions of the (OLD) 3DS and New 3DS. But there is only a regular version of the (old) model... squint emoticon For once, I feel bad for Gamestop employees...

Technically, every downloadable DSi game was exclusive to it prior to the 3DS eShop opening up.

gf78

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 12:28:10 pm »
It seems like a strange thing. But we did split Game Boy Color from Game Boy. But we didn't split DSi from DS/DS lite...

So it seems to me that we can either:

- Split the New 3DS into it's own hardware section and games listing.
- Or we can leave the New 3DS in with the 3DS/3DS XL stuff and mix the games together.
- Or we can leave the New 3DS Hardware in with the 3DS hardware. And I can add new Regional cats for the games to be listed out separately.

Personally, I'm leaning toward option 1 or 3. If we go with Option 1, then we may need to split the DSi stuff out as well to keep things all consistent.

Just my two cents, but everything that falls under the "DS" umbrella should stay together.  You can differentiate games that require the "NEW 3DS" in the title.  If and when there is a large number of games that you need the "NEW 3DS" for, break it off then.  Again, just my two cents.