Author Topic: Fatal Frame V  (Read 4151 times)

aliensstudios

Re: Fatal Frame V
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2015, 11:52:24 am »
I don't think that's really true, sure digital is cheaper, but have you seen a modern physical copy? No instruction book, two cents worth of plastic for the case, and the cheapest physical media, I imagine the profit from a physical copy is probably a large quotient greater than the cost of the production for it. I'd say 80% of gamers prefer to physically own the games they bought, if they cut out physical copies, whether it's now, or five years from now, they're going to alienate and likely lose a ton of business. Near everyone on this site is a collector, so we're all passionate about physical copies of games, the only way I see digital games taking off is if they're much cheaper than their physical counterparts, but at the end of the day, I'd still spend ten to twenty bucks extra to have a game on my shelf as opposed to on a hard drive.

The death of physical releases will ensure that even if I continue to game, my "purchases" will slow to a crawl.  Whereas I buy 24+ new releases a year right now (usually more than that), I would only buy 2-3 digital titles a year maximum and just play them to death to squeeze every cent out that I can.  It also doesn't help that I live in the boonies.  Download speeds max out at 10MBps over 4G LTE and data caps are ridiculously low.  A single game download would be next to impossible for most people in a situation like mine.  As is, I pay through the nose for a business license just so I can have unlimited internet.  I have to pay $150 a month just for that!

A big part of my gaming enjoyment aside from the actual aspect of playing is:
A)  Owning a physical item so I feel that I have something to show for my money
B)  Going to midnight launches or store openings on release day and sharing my love of gaming with other like-minded individuals.
If physical games were no more, I'd just buy more old games. I'd only buy digital if I really wanted to play it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 03:08:29 pm »
If physical games were no more, I'd just buy more old games. I'd only buy digital if I really wanted to play it.

That would be my initial thoughts, but the entire experience would be tainted IMO.  It's like no matter how much I love the original Conan the Barbarian movie, it will forever be tainted by Conan the Destroyer.  Or how St. Anger by Metallica sucked so bad, it made it hard to listen to good Metallica.  Or even worse, how bad Episodes I, II and III of Star Wars was where I basically couldn't bear to watch any of the original trilogy for years because Lucas had ruined it.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

aliensstudios

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2015, 11:34:48 pm »

That would be my initial thoughts, but the entire experience would be tainted IMO.  It's like no matter how much I love the original Conan the Barbarian movie, it will forever be tainted by Conan the Destroyer.  Or how St. Anger by Metallica sucked so bad, it made it hard to listen to good Metallica.  Or even worse, how bad Episodes I, II and III of Star Wars was where I basically couldn't bear to watch any of the original trilogy for years because Lucas had ruined it.
I hadn't really thought about that… I remember as a kid I freaking loved the Star Wars prequels, then my Aunt got me the original trilogy DVD box set and I got angry with myself for thinking that the prequels were good when they really sucked in comparison to the originals.

argyle

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2015, 09:29:10 am »

Eh, I've never understood this type of thinking. There are lots of things I love that have gotten crappy sequels / remakes / etc, but it hasn't affected my love of the originals.

Speaking of getting screwed by digital games tho - I had decided this week to sell my Majora's Mask New 3DS because I need the money & nothing really requires it anyway besides Xenoblade, which is better on the Wii. But then I discovered that Nintendo won't let you do a system transfer from the New 3DS to the original. I can't think of a single logical reason WHY you shouldn't be able to do that, other than they just don't want you to. So now I have to decide if I want to give up my digital games (all but one were Club Nintendo rewards) or just be stuck with the system.  >:(
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

gf78

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2015, 11:09:01 am »
Eh, I've never understood this type of thinking. There are lots of things I love that have gotten crappy sequels / remakes / etc, but it hasn't affected my love of the originals.

Speaking of getting screwed by digital games tho - I had decided this week to sell my Majora's Mask New 3DS because I need the money & nothing really requires it anyway besides Xenoblade, which is better on the Wii. But then I discovered that Nintendo won't let you do a system transfer from the New 3DS to the original. I can't think of a single logical reason WHY you shouldn't be able to do that, other than they just don't want you to. So now I have to decide if I want to give up my digital games (all but one were Club Nintendo rewards) or just be stuck with the system.  >:(

Everyone feels differently about things.  That's just mine.  No matter how much I might enjoy something like say, Conan the Barbarian...the thoughts of how crappy Destroyer are crop up in my mind.  Kinda like listening to Kiss on Hair Nation and enjoying "Uhh all night" when memories of tripe from "Music from the Elder" crop up.  Ugh....

As for your issue with the New 3DS, well yeah...that's just Nintendo.  Their entire system is ludicrous.  I can buy a brand new Vita, PS3, PS4 or even a PSP, log into my PlayStation account and download any previously purchased title.  I can even have more than one copy on multiple systems (I believe three?).  Nintendo?  Nope.  You have to go through a long, arduous, convoluted process of transferring the data between systems.  And Nintendo was so thoughtful with the New 3DS that you can't transfer your games backwards to a standard 3DS even though it's the same.  Damn.  Software.

I wish Nintendo would drag their heads out of their collective ass and the fanboys would stop giving them a free pass. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

aliensstudios

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2015, 11:40:53 am »

Everyone feels differently about things.  That's just mine.  No matter how much I might enjoy something like say, Conan the Barbarian...the thoughts of how crappy Destroyer are crop up in my mind.  Kinda like listening to Kiss on Hair Nation and enjoying "Uhh all night" when memories of tripe from "Music from the Elder" crop up.  Ugh....

As for your issue with the New 3DS, well yeah...that's just Nintendo.  Their entire system is ludicrous.  I can buy a brand new Vita, PS3, PS4 or even a PSP, log into my PlayStation account and download any previously purchased title.  I can even have more than one copy on multiple systems (I believe three?).  Nintendo?  Nope.  You have to go through a long, arduous, convoluted process of transferring the data between systems.  And Nintendo was so thoughtful with the New 3DS that you can't transfer your games backwards to a standard 3DS even though it's the same.  Damn.  Software.

I wish Nintendo would drag their heads out of their collective ass and the fanboys would stop giving them a free pass.
Don't judge me but I liked the original Paul Blart: Mall Cop. The sequel was so bad I don't like the first movie anymore. Same with Highlander, it's a great movie but knowing how awful the sequels got makes me not like it.
Nintendo's transfer process is an absolute joke considering it's 2015, that's pretty much why I didn't transfer my Wii data to my Wii U system. That's another reason I don't ever want to buy digitally from them.