Author Topic: Power Rangers [Megazord Reveal]  (Read 978 times)

Power Rangers [Megazord Reveal]
« on: November 06, 2016, 03:01:53 am »
Now I'm not gonna pretend that Power Rangers is untouchable and was amazing, it's aged terribly and it's so goofy, but I still have a soft spot for it and at the time as a kid, that stuff was great.  I grabbed these nice newer action figures they released a little bit ago of the Green and White Rangers which are just great to me.  Would love to find a Dragonzord someday, but man they are pricy. 

I don't hate the new suits, they are a little busy, but they have the shape and feel of the original, so I give them a pass.  Better than what we got with Ninja Turtles for sure in keeping true to the material.

The Megazord? Fuck no, they threw everything from the original out and gave us just...This wouldn't look cool if it was completely separate from the movie.

Maybe it translates better in the movie, but damn that looks like ass.  The original Megazord hasn't aged well, it's goofy and boxy, but we live in a time of freaking Pacific Rim.  You can make sick looking giant robots.  All this looks like is a large guy who strapped random crap onto him and then had to pull his feet out of hardened concrete.  Why make him incredibly agile if he has big square block feet?

With Ninja Turtles and this, I just have to wonder who the hell is designing this stuff?  I wasn't really super interested in seeing this movie, but that makes me even less interested.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:03:43 am by kamikazekeeg »

azure

Re: Power Rangers [Megazord Reveal]
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 10:17:14 am »
Yeah that zord just looks off. I haven't been watching PRs since Saban required the license, so I've been Sentai only for a while now. That being said this is supposed to ride of the American nostalgia for Mighty Morphin. The suits are fine I suppose, as I think they're going for the whole "superhero" look that's popular right now. That megazord does not look like it belongs at all though.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:53:36 pm »
Keeping in mind that this whole thing is already headed in a radically different direction, i'm able to set my nostalgia aside and enjoy this design as it's own thing. Looks cool, no complaints here c:

azure

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 02:08:32 pm »
Keeping in mind that this whole thing is already headed in a radically different direction, i'm able to set my nostalgia aside and enjoy this design as it's own thing. Looks cool, no complaints here c:

Hey now, don't be such a Joker.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 08:54:00 pm »
It looks like a JRPG Villain's final form instead of a giant robot.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 09:31:52 pm »
To me, I just see it as another one of Hollywood's bizarre reasoning to change things in weird ways.  The Ninja Turtles are weird huge Shrek monsters, Transformers are incredibly overly complicated walking junkyards, and now whatever this...THING is.  I said it before, but I wouldn't like this thing even if it wasn't a Megazord.  It just looks like one of those weird knock off toys you see, that are just kind of a few different things slapped together trying to mimic something popular.

Though I will be fair and say that this might not be fully colored and finished, though they didn't say it was a prototype or anything.  It just seems like it's unfinished with so little color and so much bland grey.