Author Topic: Helping someone that just did not know what he had  (Read 1555 times)

Helping someone that just did not know what he had
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:40:58 pm »
So last night I was perusing Craigslist and saw someone had put up an NES and 27 games for sale for $50. This seemed like a pretty sweet deal, so I texted the guy and asked if he could e-mail me a list of games. I looked it over and two immediately popped out: Final Fantasy and Mega Man.
I knew that those were not cheap, so I look up what they were worth, and just those two were worth $50. I like a good deal and all, but I felt that he should know that he was under selling by quite a bit.  I texted him and let him know that he was asking for way to little. We went back and forth for a bit, I was trying to help him figure out the value. Then a few minutes in he said someone called and offered $150.
I did not get a steal that night, but it felt good to sort of help someone not get screwed over.  I would have offered $100, but just couldn’t right then. 

soera

Re: Helping someone that just did not know what he had
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:59:24 pm »
The guy should have let you buy them simply out of the fact that you were trying to help him from getting ripped off. I would have been a little upset if I was doing that and someone came and sniped them right out from underneath me.

hexen

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 07:29:14 pm »
This is the kind of thing I wouldn't feel bad about. Megaman and Final Fantasy are not in the realm of price that would have me doing that, it would end up being more like a slight savings in my opinion. Now, if some guy was selling a NWC cartridge for $20 bucks I would be extremely conflicted - because that would be cheating him out of a new car or rent for a few years, something substantial.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

jcalder8

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:56:04 pm »
I have offered people more than their asking price before for two reasons:
1. To make sure that it is still there when I come to pick it up
2. Because they have grossly under priced it

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:44:01 pm »
I just wasn't able to purchase them last night, and even if I could have I would have offered him more than $50 for sure.

This was the list he sent me:

Battle Chess

MLB Baseball

Guerilla

JackalBayou Billy

Baseball Stars

Final Fantasy (original version)

A Boy and His BlobSchekerazade

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Bionic Commando

Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Target Renegade

Super Mario Bros 2&3

Hoops

NARC

T&C Surf Design

Batman

Blades of Steel

Mega Man (original version)

Maniac Mansion

Willow

Yoshi

Football

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt

Conquest of the Crystal Palace

soera

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:13:57 pm »
Damn, lol I could have even used a few of those titles. Sheherezade and Crystal Palace. It definitely could have been flipable ... but at $150, someone actually paid full market value. Mega man and Final fantasy are the only 2 games listed that even reach $20.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 04:37:56 pm »
Why would you do such a thing? If he doesn't care enough to research what he has b4 he sells it should be his loss...

I wouldn't pay more than $15 for MM or FF...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:39:31 pm by pceslayer »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 04:48:01 pm »
Why would you do such a thing? If he doesn't care enough to research what he has b4 he sells it should be his loss...

+1

Don't you love it when you get a deal?  Why keep someone else from it?  It's not like any of it was that valuable anyway. 

scott

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 04:50:20 pm »

I woulda hopped on a super deal. Maybe, that's just me, but I wouldn't feel bad at all. More I would be stoked about finding said super deal.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 06:43:16 pm »
I'll be honest, I might have done the same... though not to the same extent that you had.  I wouldn't have taken the bundle for 50, and probably offered a bit more for the whole set to get it, but I wouldn't have went through everything you did to help the guy out... unless you weren't planning on buying it in the first place.  Then you were just being a cool dude.  :)
Now Playing: Final Fantasy V Advance, Mega Man Battle Network, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance