Author Topic: How to add an accessory bundle?  (Read 707 times)

tripredacus

How to add an accessory bundle?
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:33:02 pm »
I picked up a Wii game today that at first glance appears to be this one:
http://vgcollect.com/item/21537

But the one I have has a different item number: RVL P RLFE
At first glance it doesn't appear that it is any different than the one already in the database.

I got this used, but did a little research and found that the particular game I have (with this item number) is from this accessory bundle:
http://assets.dreamgear.net/manuals/DGWII-3160.pdf

dreamGear 3 in 1 bundle. The reason I ask about adding it to the database is because I don't see a clear way to find it. For example, searching for item numbers do not work. The advanced search is only for product title and barcode. This variant game has the same barcode as the regular release. Also, product records themselves are not really searchable, so if someone were to search for this game they wouldn't get 2 results. An example of this is if you search for Altered Beast, you don't see the appropriate Sega Genesis console as a search result.

Another issue is that you cannot see what a particular item includes unless you add it to your collection. So for the regular Altered Beast game, you can't see that it is case, manual, cart, insert, etc.

foxhack

Re: How to add an accessory bundle?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:44:41 pm »
Add a new game entry with the alternate item code. Make the title "Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Lightsaber Duels (Dual Glow Sabers bundle version)" and in the notes for the entry mention that it was bundled with the Dual Glow Sabers accessory pack.

We allow bundled games and items to have their own entries because the games are often bought on their own, without the rest of the stuff they were bundled with (consoles, pads, books, etc.) :)

Having a second entry will also prevent people from correcting the regular retail entry to add the other item code.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:48:35 pm by foxhack »

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:26:57 pm »
We allow bundled games and items to have their own entries because the games are often bought on their own, without the rest of the stuff they were bundled with (consoles, pads, books, etc.) :)
Really? I always thought it was the other way. Good to know!

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:45:25 pm »
Well, it's not a general site rule... but here's how I see things.

Tthere's a lot of first party games that were bundled with their respective systems, and yet, they always get their own entries at various sites. So why not do the same with other companies and devices? Not to mention places like Gamestop sell these bundle versions without their hardware all the time anyway. Several of the Eyetoy games I got at my local shop are actually hardware bundle versions (no UPC), and I never realized it until I started cataloging them here. There are PC game releases that were only bundled with complete systems or specific hardware. And so on.

The database is flexible enough to allow both hardware bundles and individual games from hardware bundles. If you have the whole package, you add it. If you only have the game, you add that instead. Everyone wins.

(And a special bonus: If someone is searching for information for that -specific- version of the game, we get a search engine hit. Which means we get more visitors. Mwahaha.)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:48:45 pm by foxhack »

scott

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:53:31 pm »
And games that were released in both bundle and non-bundle form should always have their own separate listings.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread