Author Topic: Neo Geo X Gold  (Read 7693 times)

Re: Neo Geo X Gold
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2013, 12:49:20 am »
I still kinda want one of these. Even though some of the folks here seemed turned off by it.

I already said why I dislike it further up this page so I'll just sum up here - they're ripping people off and hoping people don't notice "because Neo Geo". The product has little concern for accuracy or authenticity and for the $180 Amazon are currently asking for the starter pack I could buy a *real* MVS ($50), Samurai Spirits 2 ($20) and a supergun (about $50 for a Vogatek) to play it on my TV.

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2013, 11:18:39 am »
You do get 20 games built in though and a Neo Geo AES on ebay the cheapest I can find is around 300 with shipping and no games so for 200 with tax you get a handheld a console and a controller with 20 built in games. If you look at it as a sampler its not that bad to introduce a gamer to the neo geo company. Yes in a sense if you already own a Neo Geo Aes and you dont collect systems it seems like a rip off but to start off in to the system it gives you a pretty good idea of what your getting yourself into.

insektmute

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2013, 12:33:09 pm »
The only people interested in Neo-Geo at this point are people already familiar with it, and for anyone looking for a way to 'sample' that stuff, there are tons of games available on MAME, PSN, XBLA, and a ton of other places.

As kimimi pointed out, you can buy an MVS (the AES is different) for dirt cheap these days and be up and running with real arcade hardware under $200.

scott

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2013, 01:55:59 pm »
When you're saying buy an MVS, do you mean the hardware alone? A complete cab? Or a consolized single slot MVS?

Last I checked running cabs ain't cheap. And if you're buying the hardware alone, then you've got to spend the money either building a cab for it or consolizing it yourself. Unless its a pre-consolized single slot MVS, I don't see how you can get away in the $200 range.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2013, 02:04:48 pm »
The hardware alone.

To answer your comments:

A Neo Geo cab is just a TV and an MVS in a box, running it takes as much electricity as running a Mega Drive/SNES/N64 or any other console you care to mention.

If you buy the hardware alone you buy a supergun $50 (as I mentioned before) and use this to plug in two Neo Geo controllers, a scart or s-video cable and a standard PC power supply and play arcade games on your living room TV. This is what I do. Supergun "installation" involves plugging it onto the jamma edge and... that's it! :)

scott

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2013, 04:44:11 pm »
I follow you now.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2013, 12:25:02 am »
Once you get past the "OMG arcade games!" phase and start using them you find that on the whole most arcade hardware works just like funny-shaped consoles - plug game in, connect power/AV/controllers - play!

Which brings me back to my earlier point - people pay a lot for Neo Geo "because Neo Geo", but the fact is that its not some magic box of tricks. The processor and co-processor are the Motorola 68000 and the Zilog Z80 - two extremely common chips that are also in every Mega Drive. The sound is handled by a Yamaha chip. Apart from the elitism exhibited by some owners and the price (which is directly effected by that elitism - Japanese AES cart prices are significantly cheaper across the board) it's just an old console like any other from the era.

darko

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2013, 01:50:21 am »
I'm not promoting anything here...especially since I don't currently own the system, but you guys do realize that there's already a hack for it if you want to run games that aren't available?. Just sayin'.

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2013, 02:05:52 am »
Of course. But if you're going to download illegal ROMs why wouldn't you do it on a more accurate and feature-rich emulator that doesn't cost $200 to buy?

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2013, 09:11:22 pm »
Just got mine today! Going to open the box up and get this bad dog working soon. Wondering how difficult it will be to get a second stick... 

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2013, 09:17:02 pm »
I'm not promoting anything here...especially since I don't currently own the system, but you guys do realize that there's already a hack for it if you want to run games that aren't available?. Just sayin'.
if I'm not mistaking the anti-piracy protection was to glue down the Mirco SD card

ffxik

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 12:54:29 am »
My friend has had a devil of a time trying to get another one of those USB sticks.  Actually I think he is looking to sell his system if he hasn't already.   
 :-\