Author Topic: Nintendo's "Let's Play" Controversy  (Read 3454 times)

Re: Nintendo's "Let's Play" Controversy
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 09:01:41 am »
I believe what happens is that Youtube pays the uploader $X per view once you reach a certain viewing level - paid for out of the money Youtube makes from advertisers/sponsors, etc.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 09:03:24 am »
I believe what happens is that Youtube pays the uploader $X per view once you reach a certain viewing level - paid for out of the money Youtube makes from advertisers/sponsors, etc.

Makes sense, I guess - I'm also in the "Never use youtube/facebook" camp  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

sin2beta

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 09:38:43 am »
Since google bought youtube, partnership is just a check box you mark in your profile settings. Any video can get money based on ads. It's just not a lot for most channels.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 11:12:32 am »
I dont use youtube either. Its the reason we have shit like Beiber in this world.

With that being said, I dont give a shit about let's play videos but Nintendo demanding part of them is pretty petty. It would be like Harley demanding money for pics of my bike.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 11:26:23 am »
I dont use youtube either. Its the reason we have shit like Beiber in this world.

With that being said, I dont give a shit about let's play videos but Nintendo demanding part of them is pretty petty. It would be like Harley demanding money for pics of my bike.

What's new, you high Fairy King?!

:o  ;)  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

theflea

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 10:13:27 pm »
When a LP video is just footage from the game and thats it, I can understand Nintendo putting a stop to making money off of their product.
But if someone does a LP and does commentary or reviews and go to a lot of work editing and showing us tricks, secrets etc. then I think Nintendo should leave them alone.
But the problem is if Nintendo puts their adds on all LP videos then odds are they wont pick and choose and the entertaining videos where they have game footage  and other edits or commentates will get punished too.
So in the end I think Nintendo should leave it alone and look at it as free publicity.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

ziondood

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 01:42:28 am »
My friend Zach and I just started a LP channel on Youtube a few weeks ago. We only have a few LPs up so far but we have been putting quite a bit of work into them!
This is kind of disappointing to see that Nintendo is doing this. Quite a few Nintendo games are now downloadable from the virtual console so its not like Nintendo can't still make money off of the old games that people LP! Do they really need this?
It won't turn us off of making Nintendo LPs though! We have lots we want to play :D
The money doesn't matter, its just like. Why Nintendo, why? Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/TwoDoodsandaCat

jobocan

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 10:04:08 pm »
The thing that confuses me about this whole "people complaining about Nintendo for gameplay videos" thing... is that Microsoft did the exact same thing in October last year and no one complained about it at all. I think I saw one whole video about this when Microsoft did it, but everyone is complaining about Nintendo doing it.

I feel people are just looking for reasons to hate Nintendo :P

On my side... It matters so little in the grand scheme of thing and I have no idea why anyone is complaining.