Author Topic: Ever have trouble moving on from a game?  (Read 3483 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Ever have trouble moving on from a game?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 03:09:07 pm »
Why would a full console 2D game be so hard to believe. Plenty have been released in the last few years due to the retro-boom. Shovel Knight is a perfect example of a full modern 2D console game, done right.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 03:15:30 pm »
Why would a full console 2D game be so hard to believe. Plenty have been released in the last few years due to the retro-boom. Shovel Knight is a perfect example of a full modern 2D console game, done right.
I just don't think Nintendo would do that.  Shovel Knight isn't the best example per se, as it was available handheld and console.  Nintendo, to my knowledge, has never launched a game simultaneously for a console and handheld (Other than virtual console).  Even Smash Bros wasn't simultaneous.  Nintendo's goal in general isn't to work against itself, it wants to sell systems, by releasing on both simultaneously you potentially risk not selling systems one way or the other.  I'm just speculating, but I just don't think Nintendo would do that.  My point being, if Nintendo were to make another 2D Zelda game, which is totally likely, it would be another 3DS game.

However, if you are a console snob, I could see Nintendo down the line releasing 3DS(pretty much 2DS) games on Wii U VC.  So maybe you'll finally get to experience A Link between worlds.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:18:03 pm by ctracy87 »

aliensstudios

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 03:16:50 pm »
That wasn't a full console release. It was handheld.
Mehhhhhh, I'd bet good money Nintendo will never release a new console exclusive 2D Zelda game.  It's just too tempting to throw on a handheld first.
Agreed. Unless the Nintendo NX is a console/handheld hybrid as it is rumored, I don't see this happening anytime soon.
Mehhhhhh, I still don't think NX is what people think it is.
I'm not even really excited for the NX, no matter what it is. I've supported Nintendo by buying tons of stuff for my Wii U and really wished they'd support it a lot more. I'll probably hold off getting an NX for a while if it does ended up coming out this year (which would be ridiculous because were only in the Wii U's third year)
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

romanticore

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 03:19:38 pm »
I've said it before... and I'll say it again. I cannot let go of the masterful soundtrack by Soshiro Hokkai on Harmony of Dissonance. I feel a strong urge to listen to it every day.
Currently Playing:
Chrono Trigger (DS)

pacpix

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 03:42:55 pm »
Runescape...

I first started an account 13 years ago on RS1. it got hacked soon after RS2 came out made a new account that day and have had it for 12 years. I go through periods of playing the absolute crap out of it for months and months sometimes years, and then I put it down and forget about it for a few months/years, then pick it back up.

I actually picked it up again sometime in august or September and found out they made RS3 which scares me so I hopped onto the now RS Classic (RS2) and realized the characters were dumped. in otherwords I had to start again, and have since got fletching to lvl 99 and cooking to 95 which are the easiest skills to level but still take hundreds of hours to achieve each.

to me this is just a really easy game to play that allows you to do other things while playing, like watching youtube/tv or cooking in RL. in fact I cook better in RL because I can very accurately time when I started by how many inventories I have gone through in RS.

whats suprising is for a 15-16 year old game it has such an active community of probably over 100,000 accounts.
What's your IGN on RS/OSRS/RSC?  Haven't played in like five months due to school obligations, but would love to have a fellow VGCollector on my friends list whenever I inevitably pick it up again (never been able to quit the damn game forever).  I actually bought a month of membership not too long ago to get access to the RSC since it opened for a couple months again.  My eventual goal is to do all the quests across all 3 games, but I'm not even remotely close despite how many years I have been playing off and on.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 03:56:24 pm »
I just don't think Nintendo would do that.  Shovel Knight isn't the best example per se, as it was available handheld and console.  Nintendo, to my knowledge, has never launched a game simultaneously for a console and handheld (Other than virtual console).  Even Smash Bros wasn't simultaneous.  Nintendo's goal in general isn't to work against itself, it wants to sell systems, by releasing on both simultaneously you potentially risk not selling systems one way or the other.  I'm just speculating, but I just don't think Nintendo would do that.  My point being, if Nintendo were to make another 2D Zelda game, which is totally likely, it would be another 3DS game.

However, if you are a console snob, I could see Nintendo down the line releasing 3DS(pretty much 2DS) games on Wii U VC.  So maybe you'll finally get to experience A Link between worlds.

I never said to release them on both consoles. I said I want to see a full-on console release. No reason that it has to be on a handheld, as well (although, I wouldn't mind that).

The fact that Nintendo hasn't done a full-on 2D Zelda on a console since the SNES, is kind of my point. They're behind the curve. Retro is in, big time. Tons of 2D games are selling on full consoles nowadays. And you can't honestly say that if Nintendo put out a new 2D Zelda on a full console, that it wouldn't sell. It would sell like crazy.

And I'm not an anti-portable gamer, I have experienced Link Between Worlds, I own it. But playing a game on a console, on a TV, is always a better experience than a handheld with a small screen and cramped controls.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 04:09:50 pm »

I never said to release them on both consoles. I said I want to see a full-on console release. No reason that it has to be on a handheld, as well (although, I wouldn't mind that).

The fact that Nintendo hasn't done a full-on 2D Zelda on a console since the SNES, is kind of my point. They're behind the curve. Retro is in, big time. Tons of 2D games are selling on full consoles nowadays. And you can't honestly say that if Nintendo put out a new 2D Zelda on a full console, that it wouldn't sell. It would sell like crazy.

And I'm not an anti-portable gamer, I have experienced Link Between Worlds, I own it. But playing a game on a console, on a TV, is always a better experience than a handheld with a small screen and cramped controls.
I think Nintendo would've made LTTP a 3D game if the SNES was capable of a true 3D game.

Just as well, I think a 2D game like Link between worlds would sell better on a handheld system as opposed to a console.

I'm simply stating my opinion, and I don't think Nintendo will ever release a 2D Zelda game on a console, unless it is a re-release.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 10:08:40 pm »

The fact that Nintendo hasn't done a full-on 2D Zelda on a console since the SNES, is kind of my point.

http://vgcollect.com/item/9691

romanticore

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 03:42:25 am »

The fact that Nintendo hasn't done a full-on 2D Zelda on a console since the SNES, is kind of my point.

Me and my siblings had such a good time playing this game! Recently, I played TowerFall and it instantly reminded me of the enjoyable multiplayer experience that is The Four Swords Adventure. The fact that you could use your GBA screen for sneaking up on your opponent (alt. hiding for your life) made the game even better.
Currently Playing:
Chrono Trigger (DS)

romanticore

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 04:52:14 am »
Is there a game (or games) you just can't let go of?

The latest installment in the Sid Meier's Civilization series is a game that I can't tear myself away from. I'm talking about the true CIV, not the dumbed down Revolution series. Any one else got the "one more turn" sickness?
Currently Playing:
Chrono Trigger (DS)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 01:45:18 pm »

Oh come on. Like that's what we wanted for a 2D Zelda game. That's an entirely different type of gameplay with the Zelda franchise slapped onto it.

kashell

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 04:21:43 pm »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 07:48:23 pm »
NO!  I CAN QUIT ANYTIME I WANT!  I'll tell you when I've played enough!

baseycillings

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 10:13:43 pm »
Two major ones were Skyrim and Dragon Quest VIII.
Dragon Quest was the first game I ever got on Day 1. I remember sinking hours and hours into it. It seems endless. But then it ends.. and you try to find more side quests..but there aren't any more. So you try to complete the alchemy recipe book...and you do...

Skyrim was different though. I don't think I have ever completed EVERYTHING on a single file. I would usually roll a character, do the main and guild quests, a few sides and then re-roll. Then the DLC finally came to PS3 (Don't get me started on that.) I ended up with around 300 hours on my most played file, my Kahjit Ranger.

Oh I just remembered Age of Empires... the whole series.