Author Topic: Your thoughts on crossovers?  (Read 2734 times)

HarvestDude

Re: Your thoughts on crossovers?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 06:55:39 pm »
I guess Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is an example of a good recent crossover. Altough it came from an old crossover series from Capcom, i always enjoyed the idea.

Not only UMVC3, but other fighting crossover games are very good too. Marvel vs. Street Fighter, Capcom vs. Snk 2 (i think this one is SO cool) and Snk vs. Capcom Chaos.

I also like the "crossovers" that you can play as different characters from older versions, as it happens on Hyper Street Fighter II and Hyper Street Fighter Alpha.

About other genres of crossovers, Namco x Capcom is pretty interesting. Same goes to Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright.

When it comes to the recent Project x Zone games, my opinion is a bit mixed. It has a ton of characters from a lot of great games, with great visual appeal on moves. But it has too much talking, and it's a very shallow rpg, with just scenes and enemies, no shops, open maps, cities or anything like it (at least on the 1st one, i haven't played the 2nd). Very few customizations can be made, which makes this series very limited. It´s more for the eyes than the brains, even being so cool watching some of the best game heroes fighting together to save the world. A lot more could be made out of that game if he was taken seriously as a RPG.

I just think crossovers could have a bit more depth as RPG´s. The fighting ones are compentent and very well made, so why RPG´s are not?

HarvestDude™

kashell

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 08:18:30 am »
I absolutely agree with the first Project X Zone.

Luckily, Project X Zone 2 lets you customize your fighters with support moves, enhance their skills and you can purchase equipment at the shop to make them an army of gods and goddesses. You can also do the same with the support units; they have their own set of support skills and moves that can be upgraded. If you do check out the second one, you'll still be in for the long conversations and the nonsensical story. But, there are more options this time and it makes the experience better than the one found in the first game.

Just my two cents in case PXZ left a sour taste in your mouth. ^.^

HarvestDude

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 08:58:54 pm »
That's good to know. PXZ indeed left a sour taste on my mouth. It made me feel like wasting 50 hours on my life on repetitive fights and stages. Not even Final Fantasy XIII (for being SO linear) made me feel like this. Ok, maybe a bit. ::)

As soon as i can afford a PXZ2, i'll get it. I like the idea anyway. Well, there goes some more 50 hours of my life. Who needs exercising anyway...?

HarvestDude™

kashell

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 12:04:11 pm »
If you were left feeling slightly jaded by the first one, I would recommend waiting for the second game to have a price drop. I'm on the 31st chapter now and I'm already 30 hours in. @_@

Another crossover game that I feel like I should mention is Tales of the World. While it's still a Tales game, it's an excuse to bring heroes from nearly every Tales title together to save the world from some sort of farfetched evil. Radiant Mythology and Radiant Mythology 2 were above average, but Radiant Mythology 3 is great.

spac316

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 09:18:34 pm »
I'm a sucker for Crossovers!

I want to see a Capcom and Konami crossover. I know both companies aren't what they used to be but I think it would be awesome.
Resident Evil v Silent Hill
Mega Man v Contra
Strider v Goemon
Metal Gear v Bionic Commando
Street Fighter v Martial Champion...

That'd be sweet! But sadly, Konami is a shell of it's former self and Capcom is not terrible but lost some of it's appeal.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:25:54 pm by spac316 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 10:34:55 pm »
^ I would have loved that.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 10:47:01 pm »

I want to see a Capcom and Konami crossover. I know both companies aren't what they used to be but I think it would be awesome.
Resident Evil v Castlevania
Mega Man v Contra
Strider v Goemon

That'd be sweet! But sadly, Konami is a shell of it's former self and Capcom is not terrible but lost some of it's appeal.

Fixed one of those for you

spac316

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 04:45:25 pm »

Resident Evil v Castlevania
Mega Man v Contra
Strider v Goemon

Fixed one of those for you

I forgot to add that I would put in Castlevania v Ghosts N Goblins also.

Makes more sense, imo. But anything could go.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:14:36 pm by spac316 »