Author Topic: How do you rationalize paying a ton of money for a single game?  (Read 2612 times)

How do you rationalize paying a ton of money for a single game?
« on: February 15, 2019, 06:16:12 pm »
It's not incredibly uncommon in this hobby for people to take the serious plunge and buy a game or several games that are extremely expensive, especially when compared to most other retro games. And just to be clear, I'm talking about over a hundred bucks for a game, or even over a thousand. Although, I guess it's all relative since for some, even paying $50 for a retro game seems ridiculous.

But anyhow, how do you rationalize paying a ton of money for a single video game? Was it a difficult decision for you or did you just want it so badly you didn't care what you had to pay? Or are you one of those people that can't even fathom spending over $50 for a single game? What is your rational for being this way? Just want to hear people's perspectives on this.

Re: How do you rationalize paying a ton of money for a single game?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 06:45:50 pm »
I would not pay hundreds or thousands of currency unless I had that kind of money to waste when I could have bought a console or a bunch or other fun games for less or the same price.

I don't go after obscure or rare or CIB games either
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:47:23 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Flashback2012

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 07:13:31 pm »
Being an older collector, I managed to snap up a lot of "grail" games for MSRP or less when they were originally released and this has saved me mucho denero down the line. I will go on the game collecting subreddit and see people being ecstatic that they ONLY paid $200 for a CIB copy of Rule of Rose or only $125 for Haunting Ground. I think I picked up both games for $20 each?  :P

There are some games that have gotten away from me over the years that have subsequently skyrocketed in value. Some examples include Job Simulator for PS4 and various NIS CE releases. In the case of the former, it was not knowing the game had a minuscule print run and the usual gaggle of flipper/scalpers snatching it up to resell. In the case of NIS releases, it's because they put out a crap load of product constantly and even if I bought no one else's games but theirs, I still couldn't keep up. Job Simulator is going for around $100 now and certain NIS CEs can command almost $200.

In neither case can I rationalize paying those prices mostly because I saw what they initially came out at and can't justify paying the difference. Like I know Job Simulator was going for $20 before it disappeared and can't see myself paying much more than that. I find one for $30 in the wild? It's getting snatched up. I see it in a game store for $80? Hard pass. At least with NIS CEs, there is usually a regular edition I can get for cheaper that takes up a whole heck of lot less room.  ;)

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 07:34:41 pm »
Being an older collector, I managed to snap up a lot of "grail" games for MSRP or less when they were originally released and this has saved me mucho denero down the line. I will go on the game collecting subreddit and see people being ecstatic that they ONLY paid $200 for a CIB copy of Rule of Rose or only $125 for Haunting Ground. I think I picked up both games for $20 each?  :P

There are some games that have gotten away from me over the years that have subsequently skyrocketed in value. Some examples include Job Simulator for PS4 and various NIS CE releases. In the case of the former, it was not knowing the game had a minuscule print run and the usual gaggle of flipper/scalpers snatching it up to resell. In the case of NIS releases, it's because they put out a crap load of product constantly and even if I bought no one else's games but theirs, I still couldn't keep up. Job Simulator is going for around $100 now and certain NIS CEs can command almost $200.

In neither case can I rationalize paying those prices mostly because I saw what they initially came out at and can't justify paying the difference. Like I know Job Simulator was going for $20 before it disappeared and can't see myself paying much more than that. I find one for $30 in the wild? It's getting snatched up. I see it in a game store for $80? Hard pass. At least with NIS CEs, there is usually a regular edition I can get for cheaper that takes up a whole heck of lot less room.  ;)

So the reason I posted this thread is because I myself am seriously conflicted about spending a lot of money on a single game. One one hand I can totally justify it since gaming is my #1 hobby and by far one of the things I am most passionate about in life. Also, I see other people spend ridiculous sums of money on things that I literally make me go wtf, in terms of why anyone would ever spend that much money on certain things. For example, my aunt was making a huge fuss several years ago about a glass bowl that looked like something you would have bought at Michaels. Turns out it was made my a custom glass sculptor and was worth $30,000, which is what she paid for it (yes, she is very rich). On the other hand, as you pointed out, I remember a time when some of these games were  far, far cheaper than they are now, even if that wasn't necessarily MSRP. In addition to that, since I've been collecting, 95% of my collection has been acquired through finding the best deals I can, typically a fraction of the game's going rate on ebay or amazon.

Currently, there are several heavy hitters on the Saturn I really want, and for the first time in a long, long time I'm thinking of taking the plunge. Some aren't too bad, but still fairly ridiculous like Shining Wisdom, Shining Force 3, and House of the Dead. But other's like Rayearth and Panzer Dragoon Saga make me sick when thinking of spending that kind of money on a video game, especially since both not that long ago were going for around half their current price.

I just feel really torn about it, and I'm not sure any video game is worth that to me, no matter how good or how revered it might be. I also can't help but wonder if some of the people that praise some of these ultra rare, ultra expensive games do so in order to make themselves feel better about what they paid.

ferraroso

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 08:31:08 pm »
The most I ever paid for a video game was probably The King of Fighter's '98 for the Neo Geo AES. I bought a mint copy of it for the equivalent to around US$160,00 and, right now, I am seriously considering to get the original Metal Gear for my MSX2 for the equivalent of around US$200,00...

I usually don't pay so much for a video game. There are much rarer games than the ones I've just mentioned above, and that I could get for around the same price (or even cheaper). For example, I'd love to own a copy of Akumajo Dracula X: Rondo of Blood for the PC-Engine, but for me, the most important thing to take into consideration when spending a lot of money with something is how important that thing is to me personally.

I know Rondo of Blood (for example) is much rarer and more sought after than KoF '98, but I spent so much time playing that game on the arcade and on my old PS1 that I would be willing to spend even more money if needed to have it on my collection...

There as many ways of collecting as there are collectors, so, at the end of the day, it's all up to you!

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 10:20:16 pm »
Honestly, it depends on how much I want it. I collect games because I WANT them. I collect series of games, so things like Dracula X or Bloodlines, or even Contra Hard Corps, are games that I will buy if I find a good condition copy. Mega Man V for Game Boy? If I have the cash on hand when I see it, MINE! I like the series and I play all of these games, so for me it is a no brainer. And we have no clue how these things will be priced in the future.

But, buying expensive games for the fact of buying games? If I see a copy of that rare Clayfighter game from Blockbuster? I'd buy it if I could get a nice profit on it, but it is not something I want to play, nor collect, so I have no real reason to collect it.

So yeah, only if I will play it and want to put it on display.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 10:33:35 pm »
Currently, there are several heavy hitters on the Saturn I really want, and for the first time in a long, long time I'm thinking of taking the plunge. Some aren't too bad, but still fairly ridiculous like Shining Wisdom, Shining Force 3, and House of the Dead. But other's like Rayearth and Panzer Dragoon Saga make me sick when thinking of spending that kind of money on a video game, especially since both not that long ago were going for around half their current price.

Well, having picked up Rayearth for $320 just over 2 years ago now, allow me to offer my insights:

1) I'd been wanting a Saturn since I was 13, when my copy of Christmas Nights was stolen from my copy of Game Players & I was put off of using my Christmas money to buy the special sale bundle. Magic Knight Rayearth was one of the games I remembered reading about & wanting from back then.

2) Coming off of the holiday season always sees me more flush than normal due to extra Christmas hours, Christmas money, & birthday money. This particular year I'd also sold off some old anime as well.

3) At the time, at least, it was one of the better priced options available- and I had been looking for a few weeks.

For me, the combination of a (comparibly) reasonably priced option, extra cash, and a 20 year wait made it the right time to buy. Would I do the same for any game? No- at the moment the most similarly priced game on my lists is MUSHA, but I don't have a history with that one. Moreover, the fact that I had to look it up, that I didn't just remember I was interested, means I'm not ponying up for it anytime soon. For me, that's the biggest key- how much space the game takes up in my mind. Something that's lingered on the fringes of my thoughts for years or decades is far more likely to get bought that something I merely heard about somewhere. It's about playing the games, making memories, and having fun- not ticking off a box on some list of Brag-Worthy titles.

The second, but equally important consideration is cost- I don't worry too much about what a game used to sell for- games are popular culture, and popularity dies. So do consoles, chips, carts and discs. All of them will be worthless again someday, and I don't sell my games, so I just assume there is no value outside of what I apply to it. The question then is, not if I'm spending more or less than someone else, but am I spending an amount that I can afford & am comfortable with? I don't go into debt for games, so no credit cards- either I can pay for it or I can't. I also have to consider if there's someplace better I could put that money. I recently had a retropay windfall & damn near bought Keio Flying Squadron... but in the end, I decided to save that money for a possible trip to Disneyland with my fiance. It'll make more memories (there's that again), and if we don't end up going I can revisit the purchase idea later.

So, I suppose that's what you need to ask yourself- just how badly do you want it? What's your personal story with that game? Will buying it enrich your story? Would the cost hurt you? Can you better use the money on something else? It's up to you to answer these questions and figure out if yes, this game is what you want, more than the money or anything else.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 12:35:00 am »
So, I suppose that's what you need to ask yourself- just how badly do you want it? What's your personal story with that game? Will buying it enrich your story? Would the cost hurt you? Can you better use the money on something else? It's up to you to answer these questions and figure out if yes, this game is what you want, more than the money or anything else.

Thank you for your insight and the story.

How badly do I want it? Real bad! It's not my most wanted game, but it's close. I mostly want to play it because nearly every person I've spoke with or review I've watched has said it's essentially one of the great JRPGs of the 90s, which is a very bold statement. I want to see if this is actually true or this is another Earthbound; at least for me I found Earthbound to be pretty inferior to most other SNES JRPGs, and just fairly boring. Jusy my opinion, but in stark contrast to what the vast majority of people say about it.

Can I better use the money for something else? Of course I could, hell I could do a lot of things that would arguably be more productive than collect video games in general. This is a bit of a mute point for me at this point.

What is my personal story with the game? None for the most part.  I had friends that had the Saturn back in the day, but non of them had any of the JRPGs for the console, and it wasn't until around 2008 that I even knew this game existed. I wanted it badly back then, but as a broke college student there was no freakin way.

Will buying the game enrich my story? Probably not other than me being able to say I own it. As mentioned I really want to see if this game is worth all the fuss (the the price). If the game did in fact become one of the best RPGs I've ever played, or more so a top 10 game for me, I'd feel very justified in paying the high asking price. Regarding me buying it of ebay, it definitely doesn't sound as appealing as finding it at a thrift store or garage sale for $5, but we all sure as hell know that isn't going to happen lol

Would the cost hurt me? At the moment no. It is a big chunk of change, but I would easily be able to afford my bills and expenses still. The only thing is might impact would be my budget for more games for the remainder of this month and probably next month as well, but that's something I'd be willing to live with.

All things considered, I do really want to play it and wish there was a cheaper option. I know there is emulation, which I tried several years ago to some success, but Saturn emulation is piss poor still and the medium I was playing it on was a bit too distracting for me to fairly judge the game. Essentially I'm way more attracted to wanting to play the game, than own it, however the collector in me would have a very hard time reselling it if I ended up either not liking the game or at the very least thinking it was just okay. That probably has to do with it being a bit of a crown jewel of the Sega Saturn, which is typically something that I don't care about, but it would probably bother me to know that I had this game and no longer do. I'm still on the fence about wanting to take the plunge at its current price, but if I had to guess I probably will end up buying it eventually.

soera

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 03:40:08 am »
Im not above paying a premium for something I really want (In the last 3 years, Ive picked up quite a few higher priced items such as Rayearth, 20th & 500 million PS4 console, Chompy mage Imaginator, Dragon quest Battle road victory controller, etc).

For the controller and the Chompy mage figure, its the availibility vs the cost. The controller is not available in the states and for a console that has lived its life and is obsolete. The figure was the last one for my complete Imaginator set and, also, isnt available in the states. Were they "worth" what I paid for them? No ...

The consoles were pretty much grails as far as my PS4 collection and, to me, they were must have items. I wish I could have gotten them when they actually launched but bot speed vs Soera speed just didnt work in my favor. However, they werent too hard to find for sale so I just waited till a deal came along. 20th I actually broke even on cause of a lucky auction and the 500 million only cost me maybe 5% over the actual cost.

Rayearth was a special case. I dont have much interest in Saturn per se but this game was a part of my teenage years. I remember playing this game when I was in a bad place in my life and it brought me happiness. I actually didnt even sell my copy of this game myself. It was part of a collection I had a while back that an ex decided to pawn off while I was at work one day to basically put a stamp of "done" on our relationship. I eventually recovered damn near everything (Valkyrie profile CIB w/guide is the one piece I have yet to replace) and Rayearth was the pride and joy of my set.

I rambled on ... My point is each item has its own "value" and "personal value". You have to find your spot of both. 

Oh btw, Earthbound sucks. Rayearth is much better.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 05:12:16 am »
I don’t.

I enjoy games a lot more knowing I got a good deal on them.

kashell

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 07:28:58 am »

I just feel really torn about it, and I'm not sure any video game is worth that to me, no matter how good or how revered it might be. I also can't help but wonder if some of the people that praise some of these ultra rare, ultra expensive games do so in order to make themselves feel better about what they paid.

On that list, I've played all of those except for House of the Dead. Maybe some quick insight can help nudge towards or away from them? I have reviews for them on my website (shameless plug) if you want more info.

Shining Wisdom isn't great. It looks nice, but that's about it. It looks like it'd be the Saturn's answer to a traditional, 2D action game like Zelda. But, it's clunky. Working Designs took extra liberties with the script, so the story isn't worth reading, either. Worth the price? No. I'd say it's a 30 to 40 dollar game.

Shining Force 3 is cool. It has some of the most awesomely bad voice acting in video game history. It's also a good, challenging strategy game with a nice roster, great presentation, and some very cool battlefields. The problem? It's part 1 of 3. The other two games (dubbed Scenarios) were never localized. So, you're playing an incomplete product. It's a 8/10 game for sure, but worth the price? Again, I'd say no. It'd be like a 50 to 60 dollar game.

Magic Knight Rayearth is one of the best 2D action RPGs I've ever played. Obviously it looks and sounds magnificent, but Working Designs really stepped up with giving Hikaru, Umi, Fuu and the rest of the cast solid characterization. It's a fun ride. The problem is that it's super short. Even if you take your time, talk to everyone, swap characters to re-talk to everyone, and uncover the secrets, you're only looking at 20 hours of game time. That could be good for future replays, but if you're a one-and-done type of gamer, then the price might not be worth it. This one isn't worth the price unless you really want to play it AND you're a big fan of the franchise.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is a top five game. It's an 11/10. It's a blast. I've never played anything like it before and I'm eager to play it again. There's a lot of history behind the game, too. If there was ever a game that I wished would get the remake treatment so it's more available it's this one. But, that's never going to happen because Saturn and source codes and what-not. So, paying for it is the only way to enjoy it proper. For what I paid, I still feel like I got my money's worth.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 09:17:25 am »
Many folks have given some great insights here.

I want to echo the sentiment of many that the most important things are:

• will it hurt you financially?
  • do you want it above other things you could do with the money?

Sounds like no to #1 and possibly yes to number #2.

Anyone that will judge you for your final choice in that situation can piss off. :)

I spent $10,000 on a pinball machine last year and beforehand I had the same mental wrestle as you are having now. At the time we could afford it. (I actually was debt free before hand and took out a loan to buy it).

One year later, it’s paid for and I’m really glad I took the plunge. No regrets whatsoever.

I fulfilled a promise to myself from some 20 years ago and honesty I think that was of greater value than the machine or the game time I have put into it. I now known I can set sky high goals for myself and actually achieve them. The confidence that gives me to set new goals (even ones where the road is long and uncertain) cannot be understated.

Hoshichiri poses a great thought question. Will it enrich your story? This is more than will it make you happy.

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 09:34:23 am »
Can I better use the money for something else? Of course I could, hell I could do a lot of things that would arguably be more productive than collect video games in general. This is a bit of a mute point for me at this point.

Well, that's true in general- I guess when I bring up that question, it needs a specific answer. With my retropay, it was Keio vs. Disneyland (since I'd already put half of it into the nebulous void of 'savings'). Unless you have, say, a specific high interest credit card the money would pay off, allowing you more freedom in future spending, just saying 'bills' isn't good enough.

All things considered, I do really want to play it and wish there was a cheaper option. I know there is emulation, which I tried several years ago to some success, but Saturn emulation is piss poor still and the medium I was playing it on was a bit too distracting for me to fairly judge the game. Essentially I'm way more attracted to wanting to play the game, than own it, however the collector in me would have a very hard time reselling it if I ended up either not liking the game or at the very least thinking it was just okay. That probably has to do with it being a bit of a crown jewel of the Sega Saturn, which is typically something that I don't care about, but it would probably bother me to know that I had this game and no longer do. I'm still on the fence about wanting to take the plunge at its current price, but if I had to guess I probably will end up buying it eventually.

It sounds to me like you're in the 'browsing' stage. It's not a matter of finding the best deal out there right now & buying it today... but it certainly wouldn't hurt you to start poking around, seeing the exact going rate & being ready if a surprise deal pops up. At the same time, you can look up long play videos & see if there's a local shop/convention the game might be present at for you to test-play it. Maybe take a second look at emulation to see if there's an improved solution for you- it's not like you're looking to really play it, just demo it. Take your time with it- it's a big purchase, you'll want to be comfortable with it before you spend the money.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 09:58:27 am »
All key points.  Along with many of the aforementioned reasons there are two great filters that any purchase for my collection must pass through first.  The first is family.  I have 3.5 kids and their care is first.  Thats filter one.  The next is resource management.  My paychecks can fluctuate based on performance and volume.  So if my paychecks go over a certain threshold than I give myself resources to spend monthly.  If there's something big that I want I will save or borrow against those extra resources for the coming months.....in other words I budget for it.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 11:32:52 am »

Well, that's true in general- I guess when I bring up that question, it needs a specific answer. With my retropay, it was Keio vs. Disneyland (since I'd already put half of it into the nebulous void of 'savings'). Unless you have, say, a specific high interest credit card the money would pay off, allowing you more freedom in future spending, just saying 'bills' isn't good enough.

It sounds to me like you're in the 'browsing' stage. It's not a matter of finding the best deal out there right now & buying it today... but it certainly wouldn't hurt you to start poking around, seeing the exact going rate & being ready if a surprise deal pops up. At the same time, you can look up long play videos & see if there's a local shop/convention the game might be present at for you to test-play it. Maybe take a second look at emulation to see if there's an improved solution for you- it's not like you're looking to really play it, just demo it. Take your time with it- it's a big purchase, you'll want to be comfortable with it before you spend the money.

Definitely in the browsing stage right now. I've been watching Saturn listings like crazy for the last month and a half, not just PDS, but a bunch of games on my want list. Ironically the first PDS listing I watched way back in early January went for the cheapest and they've been varying degrees of more expensive since then. I'm hoping that someone does a BIN for under $500, but this would be a huge longshot, but I guess anything is possible. I am willing to spend a bit more than that, but as I found out with one particular listing, I refuse to go over $700. That is where I tap out and just cannot justify buying it in any way.