Author Topic: Favorite cartoons growing up?  (Read 2963 times)

kypherion

Favorite cartoons growing up?
« on: February 24, 2019, 09:14:44 pm »
unfortunately I'm a bit younger, so I never got the cool cartoons like "He-Man!" or the old Thundercats. I was always more of a "Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy", "Courage the Cowardly Dog", "Codename Kids Next Door" guy. Those were my favorites in particular, what were your favorite cartoons?
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

Re: Favorite cartoons growing up?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 09:28:45 pm »
The most early stuff I grew up on was like the Transformers and GIJOE movies, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

After that, a lot of what I watched was basically the "Disney Afternoon", so Ducktales, Tailspin, Darkwing Duck, etc...

Then it would be like Nickolodeon shows, so Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, all that stuff...

And after that it would be mostly Cartoon Network, so Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Powerpuff Girls, and then like Toonami for my anime stuff.

And there are others like the Batman Animated series among others strewn about.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 10:43:06 pm »

1992 - 1998: The Nickelodeon Years: During this time nearly all the cartoons I watched were cartoons were Nichelodeon shows. If there was a Nicktoon released during this time period, I watched it an likely enjoyed it. My favorites from this era that I enjoyed the most were Rugrats, Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, and Hey Arnold! I also watched and loved a ton of non-cartoon shows on Nick during this time, but those are for another thread. Also worth note is The Simpsons which was obviously not on Nickelodeon, but I loved this show and watched it nearly every evening during the week. This was during The Golden Age of The Simpsons and I feel privileged to have been able to see the episodes released during this time as they were brand new.

1997 - 2002: The Cartoon Network and Toonami years: My parents divorced in 1997 and the house my dad was staying at right afterwards had premium cable which is something I never had growing up. One of those channels was Cartoon Network, which was probably one of the greatest things I ever found out about as a kid. During this time I discovered Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, as well as The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest. I loved these shows so much, but what these years are remembered for even more was the Toonami block in the evening. It became my gateway into Anime and I obsessed over its lineup, never missing it every night after school. My favorites were DBZ, Gundam Wing and 8th MS Team, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo and Universe, and Cowboy Bebop. Also during this time i got into more adult oriented cartoons like South Park and Family Guy, both shows I still love to this day.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 11:14:40 pm »
This is slightly off topic, but I went down a 90's cartoon show hole and ended up remembering some more recent stuff and I'm super bummed they canceled Motorcity lol It has nothing to do with childhoods, unless you are like...7...but here's this great show with music by Brendon Small (Metalocalypse), involving Titmouse who made stuff like Metalocalypse, and it had good action, humor, and Mark Hamill playing the villain, and they canceled it.  One of those shows I found online as it was going and it was so good lol I think if it had been on Cartoon Network instead of Disney, it might've had a longer life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OyAuYvijPo

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 11:59:52 pm »
Cartoons:
Thundercats
Swat Katz
Batman The Animated Series
Superman The Animnated Series
Spiderman The Animated Series
The Centurions
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Bump In The Night
Godzilla
Snorks
Paw Paw Bears
Inspector Gadget
Johnny Quest
Flintstone Kids
Tom & Jerry Kids
Muppet Babbies
Fantastic Max
A Pup Named Scooby Doo
The Pirates Of Dark Water
Gargoyles
Richie Rich
Rugrats
Mighty Mouse
Doug
Rocko's Modern Life

If i include Anime:
Robotech
Speed Racer
Voltron
Monster Rancher
Flint The Time Detective
Zoids
Fighting Foodons
Dinozaurs
Transformers
Rurouni Kenshin
Gundam Wing
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:03:20 am by pacgamer89 »

pzeke

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 03:46:25 am »
I was spoiled when it comes to cartoons, so I seriously could sit here listing names and never stop. So instead, I'll give you a top 10 of the cartoons that I loved watching growing up whose theme songs are still to this day stuck in my head.

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
2. Thundercats
3. Animaniacs
4. Freakazoid!
5. Pinky and the Brain
6. DuckTales
7. Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
8. Tiny Toons
9. SWAT Kats
10. X-Men

This will sound cliché, but the 80s and 90s were the best - simply put, a treasure trove; there's an overabundance of amazing shows that have more than stood the test of time. And the same could be said for the sticoms of that era.

EDIT: You know what, take out Rocko's Modern Life; I was doing some shores and started humming the X-Men animated series' theme song. I've no clue how in the actual hell I forgot to mention it. Same with Spider-Man.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:08:40 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 12:11:42 pm »
When I was a kid, we didn't have cable TV, so I only got to watch the cartoons on network TV. Certainly there were a lot of them. And I still remember being excited to sleep over at other people's houses that did have cable on a Friday night so I could watch USA Cartoon Express!

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 12:56:07 pm »
I'll try to keep this breif. I watched too much TV. Also, the cut off for "growing up" will be 14.

Cartoons:
Spongebob
The Tick
Looney Toons
Animaniacs
Scooby Doo
Courage
Billy and Mandy
Kappa Mikey
Fairly Odd Parents

Anime:
Pokemon
Yu-gi-oh!
Sailor Moon
Zatch Bell
Astroboy
Ah! My Goddess
Wedding Peach
Naruto
DBZ
Black Jack

dreama1

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 02:08:52 pm »
The edds. Can't believe no one has mentioned this.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 03:16:58 pm »
Geez. Apparently I’m the old man in here.
I grew up on He-Man, Transformers, GIJoe, MASK, Pac-Man, Dungeons & Dragons, Danger Mouse...there were so many great shows.

Later there was the Disney Afternoon stuff like Gummi Bears, Ducktales, etc.

I enjoyed shows like X-Men, Batman TAS, Gargoyles, and Animaniacs very much, but I was in high school at that point :p

ferraroso

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 06:24:22 pm »
I could easily make a list with a hundred entries or so, but to keep things as short as possible, I tried to include here only the first 25 animated series that came to my mind.
In alphabetical order:

The Adventures of Tintin
The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers
Babar
BraveStarr
Centurions: Power Xtreme
Defenders of the Earth
Dennis the Menace
Denver, the Last Dinosaur
Dinosaucers
DuckTales
Dungeons & Dragons
The Get Along Gang
Inspector Gadget
Jonny Quest
M.A.S.K
Monica's Gang
Muppet Babies
Pole Position
Saint Seiya
SilverHawks
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
ThunderCats
Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light
Wildfire
Woody Woodpecker

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 07:10:38 pm »
I grew up on He-Man, Transformers, GIJoe, MASK, Pac-Man, Dungeons & Dragons, Danger Mouse...there were so many great shows.

I enjoyed shows like X-Men, Batman TAS, Gargoyles, and Animaniacs very much, but I was in high school at that point :p

SilverHawks, Karate Kommandos, Inspector Gadget, The Smurfs, Tom & Jerry, Super Friends, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Pound Puppies, The Jetsons and The Flintstones. Like I said, I could go on all day.  =P

Man, I used to have all the action figures for many of these series, too. Damn my childhood ignorance, I could have those figures in display right now...or even sold some.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

mizzach86

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 09:57:49 pm »
The most early stuff I grew up on was like the Transformers and GIJOE movies, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

After that, a lot of what I watched was basically the "Disney Afternoon", so Ducktales, Tailspin, Darkwing Duck, etc...

Then it would be like Nickolodeon shows, so Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, all that stuff...

And after that it would be mostly Cartoon Network, so Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Powerpuff Girls, and then like Toonami for my anime stuff.

And there are others like the Batman Animated series among others strewn about.

We had nearly identical experiences, haha.

I also watched the Looney Tunes cartoons a ton back when the Bugs Bunny Road Runner show was on.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 02:30:38 am »

when i was little i enjoyed watching cartoons from the 1940's to the 1990's.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 08:09:27 am »

SilverHawks, Karate Kommandos, Inspector Gadget, The Smurfs, Tom & Jerry, Super Friends, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Pound Puppies, The Jetsons and The Flintstones. Like I said, I could go on all day.  =P

Man, I used to have all the action figures for many of these series, too. Damn my childhood ignorance, I could have those figures in display right now...or even sold some.

Saturday Supercade, Shirt Tales, Raccoons, the Littles, Heathcliff, Spider Man & his Amazing Friends, Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors, C.O.P.S., Rubik the Amazing Cube, Richie Rich...

I could go on all day too :D

when i was little i enjoyed watching cartoons from the 1940's to the 1990's.

I haven’t noticed many of the older classics on TV over the last decade or so. Reruns of Flintstones, Jetsons, Tom & Jerry, Popeye, and more used to be on TV all the time, even in the 80’s. My 6-year-old twins know nothing of Looney Tunes, and that makes me sad. They have watched a little of Tom & Jerry and classic Pink Panther, though. Out of my DVD collection I’ve shown them He-Man, MASK, and Transformers.