Author Topic: Do you include shipping price when logging cost?  (Read 2657 times)

hexen

Do you include shipping price when logging cost?
« on: March 01, 2019, 03:34:42 pm »
If you keep track of what you payed with the cost option on VGCollect, do you include shipping prices? While I was looking up the receipt for a shipped item and adding it, which is an annoying step as the email often only shows the upfront game cost, it made me think about this. I have always added the shipping price as it was involved in the purchase of the game, but I could see a case for not doing this. It could give an inaccurate measure of what you payed purely for the game or item itself, inflating the perceived value. On the other hand, I've payed hundreds and maybe even more than a thousand dollars over my tenure and to ignore that cost seems a bit dishonest.

What do you think? What's your philosophy on shipping and how it relates to the price of games?
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

Re: Do you include shipping price when logging cost?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 03:51:55 pm »
I don't mostly because of the fact that sometimes I pick up games by myself, sometimes I order multiple games online with one shipping price. So, to make it clean, and to be consistent, I do not count shipping cost into game price.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 06:14:38 pm »
IMO shipping price should be included at the very least as a personal note for yourselves.

Especially for cheaper stuff it can be a sizable chunk of what you paid for the item. Shipping price is not a thing to ignore but in sets it is fortunately allot less of a factor per game since package postage for whole sets is way cheaper than shipping prices for each game seperately.

I will say though that especially from stores shipping prices are super cheap or free after a said amount but I can imagine that in this hobby where the best deals come from normal people shipping costs would always be higher than from stores.

While shipping can cost a bit in pretty much all cases it is far cheaper than a local pick up not to mention the time saved when doing so. It has to be pretty close by for a local pickup to be worth it or something of very high value.

with brand new games it could usually ignored since shipping is usually free.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:25:51 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

soera

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 06:21:51 pm »
The cost is what I pay for something. So if I have to pay to ship something, of course its part of the cost.

kypherion

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 08:05:32 pm »
People log cost?
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:41:20 pm »
I do, and I'll raise you to say that I also will average when I buy a "lot" or multi games/hardware.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 08:56:40 pm »
People log cost?
Not sure about other people, but I like to put the price in for personal reference so I know how much I've put into my collection. Also allows me to look back after a while and compare current pricing with what I originally got a game for.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 10:13:50 pm »
I do not count shipping cost into game price on VGC...but I do have a separate record which records the shipping price as well...

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 10:37:27 pm »
I keep an eye only on my current funds in the bank. but I don't keep track of my old game buying receipts. And is this really a  VGCollect feature? I didn't know about until now.

Is adding how much you paid for something in your collection really a feature this site offers? And?

Isn't this log feature on what you spent visible to everyone who uses VGCollect to look at? If so? does anyone really want just anyone to come along, and see what kind of money we have spent on merchandise for our collections? over this vary large online public community? ???

is this feature something everyone sees? or it only visible for the member that is using this feature I'm confused.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:47:40 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 12:12:19 am »
I don't log in the price on vgc but I would add shipping cost to price as well as taxes

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 02:46:28 am »
Shipping is always factored in to what I'm willing to pay overall for a game.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 07:38:16 am »

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 04:29:57 pm »
I highly doubt there are many people who will log everything that they buy it's something to keep in mind for most mostly during the purchase if they will buy it or not.

But shipping costs will determine if a person will buy an item or not it is part of the total price after all. So to ignore shipping costs as a whole thats just doesn't make any sense.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:00:42 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 12:33:48 am »
I keep an eye only on my current funds in the bank. but I don't keep track of my old game buying receipts. And is this really a  VGCollect feature? I didn't know about until now.

Is adding how much you paid for something in your collection really a feature this site offers? And?

Isn't this log feature on what you spent visible to everyone who uses VGCollect to look at? If so? does anyone really want just anyone to come along, and see what kind of money we have spent on merchandise for our collections? over this vary large online public community? ???

is this feature something everyone sees? or it only visible for the member that is using this feature I'm confused.

This site is pretty lacking in actual abilities for viewing the price you put in. I've only been able to view my own prices (which I put in while adding the game) when I go back into edit my collection entry. I've never been able to see others' prices. If I want to check price totals for my collection, I usually export a CSV and total it in a Google Sheet. I'm fine with this since this isn't something I do regularly (maybe two other times.)

soera

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 12:58:27 am »
I dont see a reason for us to allow people to see what other people have paid for something. I mean if someone wants people to see what they paid for something, it could be added to the note section.