Author Topic: Would you buy a next gen console without a disc drive?  (Read 1947 times)

Would you buy a next gen console without a disc drive?
« on: March 07, 2019, 03:55:35 pm »
Everything is moving away from physical.

Are you ready?

afroyoshi

PRO Supporter

Re: Would you buy a next gen console without a disc drive?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 05:04:17 pm »
Hell no! I don't mind buying digital games, but i'm not down with buying only digital games.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 06:06:01 pm »
It don't matter to me anymore, the game in most modern releases don't include the game on the disc anyway, In fact I been thinking for a while. Because I don't know what my future brings and if I ever had to sell my collection and moved back into an apartment

That it would just be better after all to pay a cheap monthly rental fee for the console and hopefully the games will be cheaper as well and down in price. Due to not being able to actually hold them or possible keep them in 5-10 years from current.

I worry at lot about needing to sell my collection to the point I can't enjoy too many games anymore the gaming industry of today is really depressing me. and I think Anthem was possibley hacked or programmed to brink peoples PlayStation 4's, sometimes I wounder if SONY actually paid the developers of Anthem to brick the consoles on purpose just to sell more PlayStation 4's >:(
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 06:14:52 pm »
Everything is moving away from physical.

Are you ready?

We know how many times do you have to repeat yourself. Are you Ready?
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 06:48:01 pm »
I wouldn't like it, but I'm not against it as it's inevitable.  As a PC owner, this has already happened and I buy all games digitally on here, but I like being able to buy games, beat them, and then if I don't plan to replay them, I trade or sell them, so basically I save money on the game.  Usually for PC games, it's games I'm gonna like or at least get a lot of time out of.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 06:48:16 pm »
No, it is not, and no I will not.

Agozer

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 07:39:06 pm »
No, it is not, and no I will not.
This.

One if the biggest issues I have with current PC gaming is the fact that while you can buy a boxed game, it means nothing thanks to the "game" being just a Steam Key these days. Besides, you don't truly own digital games and you can't sell or loan them to a friend, something which I'm very much against.

Microsoft can market its discless Xbox all it wants, but I sure as hell won't even be giving it a glance. Same thing if Sony would ever come out with a similar PlayStation.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:45:15 pm by Agozer »

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 08:29:10 pm »
First let me state that I am a collector of physical media and will always prefer physical over digital; however with that said I could totally see myself purchasing a next gen digital only console under two very specific conditions. 1) the device has expandable memory and 2) the device is a portable system like the Switch. The Switch has help me see how convenient having your games as a digital collection on the device actually is, being able to have your entire game library on the go is kinda awesome. Currently I still buy physical switch games, and if the next console release has physical media available I will still buy physical, but if they decided to drop the media slot, it wouldn't stop me from buying it. 

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 11:21:33 pm »
I've said it before, I'll say it again- I will cling to this sinking ship of physical media for as long as I possibly can. At some point in the future, once physical is gone and I've been drug kicking & screaming into an all-digital world, then I'll decide if I give in and join, or if I retreat into a world of retro plastic tat.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 01:30:36 am »
Hell no. PS5 will still have discs.

However, with perhaps PS6, I may. If PlayStation Now starts launching exclusives on the service day one like Xbox Game Pass does now I wouldn't hate that.

I don't like buying digital games unless it's way cheaper than physical and even then I hesitate. If a physical copy doesn't exist I'll usually wait for one to exist. Most of my digital collection consists of PS Plus titles, Humble Bundle titles, or deep price cuts. I have not paid $15+ for any one digital game.

I would prefer to subscribe to PlayStation Now and download games that way than outright purchase digital games. It's kinda the same thing except the PS Now option being cheaper. Sure, they could remove titles but that's really the only downside with the service vs. paying for digital games.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:37:09 am by weirdfeline »

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 02:10:08 am »
The moment gaming goes digital-only, I'll stick with only older games, no exceptions, so no.

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 10:32:26 am »
I’ve only two things to say...

...and...

Adios.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 10:45:34 am »
My knee-jerk reaction is a pretty hard no, but I do agree with justin's point here:

under two very specific conditions. 1) the device has expandable memory and 2) the device is a portable system like the Switch. The Switch has help me see how convenient having your games as a digital collection on the device actually is, being able to have your entire game library on the go is kinda awesome. Currently I still buy physical switch games, and if the next console release has physical media available I will still buy physical, but if they decided to drop the media slot, it wouldn't stop me from buying it.

I'd probably be down for a purely digital handheld / portable console of some sort.

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 10:45:44 am »
Seether along with pretty much everyone else who reacted on this topic are lying pretty hard

I can't remember a switch having a disc drive or using discs period and pretty much everyone bought one. So i guess people can live withouth them discs in the next generation.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 10:46:59 am »
Seether along with pretty much everyone else who reacted on this topic are lying pretty hard

I can't remember a switch having a disc drive or using discs period and pretty much everyone bought one. So i guess people can live withouth them discs in the next generation.