Author Topic: What are your thoughts on buying loose discs?  (Read 4763 times)

What are your thoughts on buying loose discs?
« on: March 15, 2019, 09:06:24 am »
It makes my sick crawl.

I’d only buy one if it were half the price of every boxed copy, the boxed copy was more than I wanted to pay, I really wanted to play the game and the seller said it were in very good condition.

sworddude

Re: What are your thoughts on buying loose discs?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 09:13:28 am »
It makes my sick crawl.

I’d only buy one if it were half the price of every boxed copy, the boxed copy was more than I wanted to pay, I really wanted to play the game and the seller said it were in very good condition.

most lose dics copies are less than half the price of a boxed copy so I don't see your complaint as far as old stuff goes.

For current gen it's different since a large group just want to play a game even if it's only slightly cheaper. aka the reason why for example gamestop charges pretty much same prices for lose discs and cib copies.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 09:35:05 am »
I don't do loose discs, full stop.

If you want to keep your disc in good, working condition, it needs to be in a case- why not the original? I'm actually pretty proud that my disc-based games are something like 99% complete... I don't have the map for Vay on Sega CD, and only one of my Turbo CD games has its outer cardboard box. But as far as the actual plastic CD case the disc sits in? I've got all of them. I've got nothing against those who prefer/are neutral to disc only- using a CD wallet, a spindle, or slim cases must save a lot of space. I'd just rather get some of that sweet, sweet box art to go with my game.

I went to a retro event last summer, and a friend bought a loose copy of Threads of Fate for PS1. He was saying he hoped it'd get home ok. I was confused: "I mean, it's in a plain case, right?" "no, it's disc only." "...so like a paper sleeve then?" "no, disc only"- and he proceeds to pull a disc out of his coat pocket. The guy sold it as literally disc only, no kind of protective cover at all. I was dumbfounded- I mean, you can get empty cases or paper sleeves for so cheap, who just sells a disc? Who BUYS it? I guess my friend! I immediately dug out the copy of Einhander I'd just picked up- "put that in here for now!" I don't like double-stacking discs in a case, but it beats just shoving the disc in your pocket. When they dropped me off after I gave him one of the empty jewel cases I keep on hand as replacements. That one really weirded me out.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 09:41:32 am »
It makes my sick crawl.

most lose dics copies are less than half the price of a boxed copy so I don't see your complaint as far as old stuff goes.

For current gen it's different since a large group just want to play a game even if it's only slightly cheaper. aka the reason why for example gamestop charges pretty much same prices for lose discs and cib copies.
I wasn’t complaining that they aren’t half price, I was giving four pieces of criteria that would need to be met for me to buy one.

Your reading comprehension skills are very poor.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:52:31 am »
I don't have the map for Vay on Sega CD
May as well throw the whole collection out really then.

afroyoshi

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 10:02:27 am »
I don't usually buy loose discs, but when i do I just find a case to put it in and use "thecoverproject" site to replace the cover art.

kypherion

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 11:06:46 am »
Definitely a nope, I try to only buy CIB especially with discs
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

kashell

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 11:10:13 am »
Loose discs are a no-no.

ferraroso

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 12:20:24 pm »
I consider myself a collector more than a gamer, so I’ve never bought a disc-only game.
I don’t refuse when people give me loose discs, but I never add them to my collection here...

telly

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 12:37:44 pm »
Sometimes if I come across a loose disc I'll try to find a case for it because I totally agree. It's just asking to get scratched if it's in one of those CD binders  :-[
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 01:00:49 pm »
Sometimes if I come across a loose disc I'll try to find a case for it because I totally agree. It's just asking to get scratched if it's in one of those CD binders  :-[

you can easily get your selves a blanco cd jewel case so that should not really be an issue at all if the lose discs is in nice shape when you get it
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:54:07 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 01:23:41 pm »
Right now the only system that i'm willing to collect loose discs for is the Saturn, its just way too hard/expensive to find Saturn games complete in good condition.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 01:38:00 pm »
Negative, Ghost Rider

mark1982

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 02:48:05 pm »
I don't even consider buying loose discs, even if I really wanted said game, I'll just give it a pass.

I even stay away from cracked cases or damaged box arts unless I can get a replacement. So that's a no from me.
  l    l 

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 02:53:51 pm »
I've done it from time to time.

It's usually either a) I have the case and manual already (acquired for next to nothing), or b) I find a loose disc for cheap and this disc alone is worth some money so even if I can't find the case and manual for next to nothing, I can sell the disc and help subsidize the cost of a complete copy down the line.