Author Topic: PS2 clones and alternatives  (Read 345 times)

tripredacus

Re: PS2 clones and alternatives
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 12:10:38 pm »
My favorite PS2 clone will always be the Super Polystation 2, but it is completely useless if you want to play PS2 games.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 03:13:08 pm »
If you really have been through that many PS2’s I’d recommend doing a little research and learn how to replace the laser. It’s actually not that hard at all to do. All you need is a phillips screw driver and some phillips precision screwdrivers and also a soldering iron to remove a anti static solder blob. PS2 lasers are super cheap you can get both the slim and the fat model lasers from China shipped for five bucks.

I have replaced a quite a few PS2 lasers on both fat and slim units and they perform like new units afterward reading blue discs and everything you throw at them. It’s funny that so far the Chinese laser I put in my daily driver PS2 three years ago is actually performing better and lasting longer than the original Sony laser did.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:19:31 pm by thecrypticodor »

telly

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 03:36:47 pm »
If you really have been through that many PS2’s I’d recommend doing a little research and learn how to replace the laser. It’s actually not that hard at all to do. All you need is a phillips screw driver and some phillips precision screwdrivers and also a soldering iron to remove a anti static solder blob. PS2 lasers are super cheap you can get both the slim and the fat model lasers from China shipped for five bucks.

I have replaced a quite a few PS2 lasers on both fat and slim units and they perform like new units afterward reading blue discs and everything you throw at them. It’s funny that so far the Chinese laser I put in my daily driver PS2 three years ago is actually performing better and lasting longer than the original Sony laser did.

I will definitely keep this in mind once the laser on my current PS2 finally kicks the bucket! I just need to learn how to solder haha
Currently Playing:
Tales of Xillia (PS3), Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2007 (DS)

Administrator on Bulbagarden Forums

thecrypticodor

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 04:05:54 pm »
I will definitely keep this in mind once the laser on my current PS2 finally kicks the bucket! I just need to learn how to solder haha
You don't really even have know how to solder you just need to melt the solder blob with the iron and swipe/flick it off too remove a solder bridge between two contact points.