Author Topic: PS2 clones and alternatives  (Read 10576 times)

tripredacus

Re: PS2 clones and alternatives
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 12:10:38 pm »
My favorite PS2 clone will always be the Super Polystation 2, but it is completely useless if you want to play PS2 games.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 03:13:08 pm »
If you really have been through that many PS2’s I’d recommend doing a little research and learn how to replace the laser. It’s actually not that hard at all to do. All you need is a phillips screw driver and some phillips precision screwdrivers and also a soldering iron to remove a anti static solder blob. PS2 lasers are super cheap you can get both the slim and the fat model lasers from China shipped for five bucks.

I have replaced a quite a few PS2 lasers on both fat and slim units and they perform like new units afterward reading blue discs and everything you throw at them. It’s funny that so far the Chinese laser I put in my daily driver PS2 three years ago is actually performing better and lasting longer than the original Sony laser did.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:19:31 pm by thecrypticodor »

telly

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 03:36:47 pm »
If you really have been through that many PS2’s I’d recommend doing a little research and learn how to replace the laser. It’s actually not that hard at all to do. All you need is a phillips screw driver and some phillips precision screwdrivers and also a soldering iron to remove a anti static solder blob. PS2 lasers are super cheap you can get both the slim and the fat model lasers from China shipped for five bucks.

I have replaced a quite a few PS2 lasers on both fat and slim units and they perform like new units afterward reading blue discs and everything you throw at them. It’s funny that so far the Chinese laser I put in my daily driver PS2 three years ago is actually performing better and lasting longer than the original Sony laser did.

I will definitely keep this in mind once the laser on my current PS2 finally kicks the bucket! I just need to learn how to solder haha
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

thecrypticodor

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 04:05:54 pm »
I will definitely keep this in mind once the laser on my current PS2 finally kicks the bucket! I just need to learn how to solder haha
You don't really even have know how to solder you just need to melt the solder blob with the iron and swipe/flick it off too remove a solder bridge between two contact points.

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 02:35:20 pm »
Since getting a laptop & getting all the right tools, I've been able to use an emulator to play all of my PS2 games. The only down side is that the frame rates on most of the games are low. I mostly use it for hacking my PS2 games mostly to find areas that aren't normally accessed by normal means of playing or other things that were never deleted from the games.

As for the actual systems, I will only get the slim versions. I currently have one that plays NTSC-U/C games & one that plays NTSC-J games. I recently ordered one that plays PAL games (satin silver). If one starts to break down, I have a local video game store that actually specializes in repairing game systems. That's more reasonable that buying another used system & having to shell out more money for shipping & handling.

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 05:03:40 am »
Dunno what to say, I've kept my PS2 fat from 2001 clean from dust, never used dirty discs and turned the power switch off when not in use and still looks and behaves as if I just bought it and took it out of the box.  My buddy who bought his on the same day I did has had numerous problems and he has since replaced it entirely with a newer model.  I firmly believe in the care taken and basic maintenance (cleaning dust mainly) while using electronics matters. 

As for PS2 clones, I wasn't aware there were any that played PS2 discs.  I'd like to see what if any of you have, I find the whole clone thing fascinating. 

aliensstudios

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2019, 08:24:52 pm »
Dunno what to say, I've kept my PS2 fat from 2001 clean from dust, never used dirty discs and turned the power switch off when not in use and still looks and behaves as if I just bought it and took it out of the box.  My buddy who bought his on the same day I did has had numerous problems and he has since replaced it entirely with a newer model.  I firmly believe in the care taken and basic maintenance (cleaning dust mainly) while using electronics matters. 

As for PS2 clones, I wasn't aware there were any that played PS2 discs.  I'd like to see what if any of you have, I find the whole clone thing fascinating.
Aside from the PS3 models that support PS2 discs (partial emulation and full emulation consoles) I don't know that there are any systems that can claim to play the discs. The upcoming Polymega also is not compatible with PS2 discs.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."