Author Topic: Who else is excited about the Genesis mini?  (Read 2168 times)

afroyoshi

PRO Supporter

Who else is excited about the Genesis mini?
« on: April 04, 2019, 05:01:20 pm »
Is anyone else excited about the announcement for the Sega Genesis Mini? I grew up playing the genesis and seeing the game lineup it has so far has kept my hopes up that this won't be another Playstation classic.

Re: Who else is excited about the Genesis mini?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:15:00 pm »
I'm under the 'somewhat optimistic' category. I'm not big into the plug n' plays, but I was a Genesis kid- one of only two in my current circles. I'm really hoping Sega knocks this out of the park & gets people excited about my 16 bit console of choice.

Think this'll get the console wars going again? It was the most extreme during the SNES/Genesis rivalry, and now their nostalgia machines are (likely) going to be on equal footing. Old habits die hard!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 09:39:37 pm »
I am love the genesis

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 05:00:27 am »
I have little to no interest in it personally, but i didn't grow up with Sega, it was a dead company by the time i started gaming.  8)

kashell

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 07:59:40 am »
I hope it's fun.

We were a Super Nintendo family, so this will be somewhat of a first for me.

telly

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 08:21:06 am »
I've never owned or played anything Genesis so I think it'd be a great place for me to start  :)
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 09:58:25 am »
Not a chance. Had Sega decided to instead release the 2017 TecToy Mega Drive but with HDMI output and fixed audio, then that would be another story.

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 10:46:08 am »
I've already got the AtGames Genesis Flashback which isn't great, the emulation is terrible, but it has a large library, can play the old carts and can use original controllers.

I'm sure the Genesis mini will be great, but as someone who owns an original system I can't see myself getting this unless it's a gift.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 12:57:15 pm »
I actually kind of want it, but mainly as a shelf piece. I might start collecting these mini systems now that the hype is died down and the prices have become reasonable. I wish NEC would make a TG-16 mini. I'd also like to see a Saturn and an N64 mini, but who knows if that'll happen. Sega seems to think the hardware for making one is still far off, and who knows what became of the N64 rumors.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:00:16 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 02:09:41 pm »
I like the Genesis, but I have a hard time distinguishing this new mini from the other minis that have come out from third parties. They all seem fairly homogenous in terms of games and other than Bloodlines getting announced, none of the other announced titles really inspire me to want to get one.

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 03:48:35 pm »
Honestly... not really when I have this:
https://vgcollect.com/item/19212

aliensstudios

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 06:06:57 pm »
Honestly... not really when I have this:
https://vgcollect.com/item/19212
This is true. I've enjoyed the collection for PS4 immensely as well.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 07:05:43 pm »
I already got the Xbox 360 and PS4 Mega Drive Collections as well as a modded original Mega Drive with widened cartridge slot that runs everything at 60Hz regardless of region.
But, I kinda do want this mini if the emulation is solid. The European version will be the easiest and cheapest for me to get but I need to know if the games will run at 60Hz or not.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 07:08:58 pm by medisto »

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 12:21:31 pm »
I am getting this mainly for the third-party titles and Technosoft games.

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 10:25:17 am »
I am getting this mainly for the third-party titles and Technosoft games.

Technosoft? I wasn't aware of any Technosoft titles getting announced for it yet.