Author Topic: How Many Hate It When A Game Is Not Working  (Read 1900 times)

How Many Hate It When A Game Is Not Working
« on: April 15, 2019, 05:04:06 pm »
I've stumbled out of gaming because I hate it when some of my gaming devices break or fall apart from a lot of use, I feel like playing my games will break a lot of my consoles.

I like to be sure I can play a game without it freezing, or having to start over because of a glitch, and sometimes I feel that video games are playing me instead of me playing them

Honestly because I had a lot of frustration with video games pushing my body and mind to the limit with no guarantee I would finish it or the story. then I just fear going back because I am worried it will happen again and ruin another good time
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: How Many Hate It When A Game Is Not Working
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 07:29:01 pm »
I enjoy it.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:23:17 am »
Honestly, it's not something I've actually run into- there's only been a handful of times I can think of where a system's broken down or a game's acted up during play- and usually, it's either early in play or it's running well enough to get to a save point. Then I can turn it off, clean the game/console, and start again without issues.

Right now I have 2 systems that are kinda-sorta out of comission. My 7800 needs a color adjustment- it's displaying very green right now. My Channel F's button 2 has quit working. It's sad when a machine breaks down- I tend to get attached, and it can be difficult to find someone to do repair work. Despire that, I know getting a replacement console is always an option, so I don't worry too much.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 01:24:11 am »
I'd be curious to see who actually likes when this happens lol

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 01:25:58 am »
I enjoy it.
Lol.

Never been an issue for me. I maintain my equipment by keeping the systems and games clean and should something go wrong it can usually be remedied simply.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 11:27:08 pm »
My consoles are fine, even the notoriously fickle ones, but I think the harsh climate here (Hot and humid) does have a tendency to wear down batteries a little quicker. My Actraiser died years ago as well as old games I got rid of like Oracle of Ages and Pokemon Ruby. No one here, not even the retro store in the city, does battery replacement services so I'd have to learn to do it myself. Maybe when I have space... but the tools would need a home and I'm short on space until I move again. In the mean time I emulate the games to be able to save.

P.S. I did break one DS when I was young. I had the OG Fatty and that tiny hinge broke really easily.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 12:48:24 am »
My consoles are fine, even the notoriously fickle ones, but I think the harsh climate here (Hot and humid) does have a tendency to wear down batteries a little quicker. My Actraiser died years ago as well as old games I got rid of like Oracle of Ages and Pokemon Ruby. No one here, not even the retro store in the city, does battery replacement services so I'd have to learn to do it myself. Maybe when I have space... but the tools would need a home and I'm short on space until I move again. In the mean time I emulate the games to be able to save.

P.S. I did break one DS when I was young. I had the OG Fatty and that tiny hinge broke really easily.
All you need is a soldering iron and a spool of solder, it really is super simple and well worth your time to learn how to do, especially as these old games start losing battery saves and the like.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 07:47:37 am »

All you need is a soldering iron and a spool of solder, it really is super simple and well worth your time to learn how to do, especially as these old games start losing battery saves and the like.

I agree, I didn't realise how easy it would be to do myself. Got myself a starter solidering kit off Amazon, some bits to open the cartridges and some batteries off eBay, thankfully the solder points are fairly big.
"We choose to play these retro games, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organise and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win..."

kashell

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 08:43:09 am »
What's a good resource for soldering 101?

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 12:05:26 pm »
I agree, I didn't realise how easy it would be to do myself. Got myself a starter solidering kit off Amazon, some bits to open the cartridges and some batteries off eBay, thankfully the solder points are fairly big.
Yeah it's one of those things that seems daunting until you try it, at least in the case of replacing Game Boy batteries.
I was fortunate enough to have a tech lab in my middle school where we learned the basics well enough but I used this guide when I recently got back into to soldering and maintaining old games and systems. There are also countless hours of YouTube videos too, I recommend Voultar as his ideas and techniques are incredible, plus you can learn a thing or two watching him mod a console.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »
I was fortunate enough to have a tech lab in my middle school where we learned the basics well enough but I used this guide when I recently got back into to soldering and maintaining old games and systems. There are also countless hours of YouTube videos too, I recommend Voultar as his ideas and techniques are incredible, plus you can learn a thing or two watching him mod a console.
Thank for the rec. Yeah, I need to figure it out. TBH, I keep meaning to ask my husband if he knows how; I know his dad is an electrical engineer. Then I could even get some help if he does. That and I need the fancy proprietary screwdrivers to open anything. I'm slowly getting everything together since I only kinda recently inherited all the old family consoles and games. I've been replacing controllers, wires, etc. left and right lol. Eventually I'll get everything good as new.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 01:15:16 pm »

Honestly just youtube, I dont have any specific links, but when I was first learning I just watched everything I could. You might hear some bad advice here and there, but if you watch enough you start to learn what the good stuff is. I'll poke around tonight and see if I can find anything particularly good.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 01:49:48 pm »
Youtube

tpugmire

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 02:27:15 pm »
Probably not the most cost effective option, with shipping and whatnot, but I can replace batteries if anyone needs it done. I even have some battery holders that I can put in so you could change the battery later if needed. It doesn’t fit in game boy games though.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

kashell

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 03:03:20 pm »

Got it. I'll give it a look.

Youtube

Well, duh. XD