Author Topic: Your Opinions Of The Original Nintendo Wii Console  (Read 11406 times)

Your Opinions Of The Original Nintendo Wii Console
« on: May 28, 2019, 09:21:43 pm »
Currently I don't use my Wii at all, but when the Wii first came out I really liked the idea. It was different, and Wii Sports, and also this arcade table top game compilation. Is probably the only 2 game I liked and played on the Wii

In my opinion the Wii is is better when hooked up to a massive screen television. With a room that is large enough to make it more fun to play standing up. Like Nintendo's previous 2 consoles. Some of the Wii games are excellent party games like the "Just Dance" games. My sisters used to love one of the Just Dance games for the original Wii. There were lots of family and friends playing the Wii sometimes when I would visit a relatives house.

But I wish that I knew more of the video games that made use of the Mii feature like Wii Resort or Wii Sports. I loved the Idea of the create a character mode with the Wii menu than playing as your created character and build up it's levels.

I like the Wii :-\ but I don't really like how most games have the motion controller. Other words I only like to play the with another person. I really have good memories of playing the original Wii Console with friends and family in summer or on the weekend visits to a relatives house
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Your Opinions Of The Original Nintendo Wii Console
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 09:36:21 pm »
The Wii is a solid console that was a victim of its own success.  There are fantastic first party games, terrific online games, easy to mod, but there is such a deluge of crap shovelware that the system legacy has been tainted.

stealthrush

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 09:37:52 pm »
I've skipped the system altogether when it first came out from 2006 onward. Only recently, 2016 I decided to buy Nintendo Wii for the first time. Since the hype died down, and games are dirt cheap  :P.

My first impression was the Wii-mote is fun to use, better with the Plus add-on. The first two games I played were Super Mario Bro. Wii and Mario Power Tennis. Solid game play, and the motion controls in Mario Tennis made it more enjoyable than on the Gamecube original IMO.

Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Sin and Punishment: Star Successor were also excellent games. I find myself coming back to Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, especially the mini-games with friends around.

Overall I think Wii gets 50% right, but seem to have an abundance of shovel-ware compared to GameCube.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 11:23:50 pm »
The Wii is a solid system, with a fairly diverse library, & I enjoyed it immensely. Also, now is the time for anyone who's interested to buy in, while supply is plentiful & before nostalgia spikes kick in about 10-15 years from now.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 11:42:34 pm »
While the console is 95% shovelware, it's still an awesome console for those 5% of games that are amazing on it. At the time it was new I was very into it and played the hell out of Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, and Elebits. As I got back into collecting, and especially when the games on the Wii got cheaper, I found a ton of great games on it, some I knew about, some I didn't. Beyond the console itself, I have a lot of great memories around getting my Wii and playing it with my girlfriend at the time and various friends.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 12:01:26 am »
I like it because it offered a lot of really cool and unique experiences versus something like the Switch which for the most part is last-gen ports and rereleases of Wii U games. While it's true that it has a lot of shovelware, there are still TONS of great games on the console.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 08:06:02 am »
A fantastic console, the gimmicky controls for the good games never annoyed me that much for some games it was actually a bit better.

Not the biggest library of all time and since there are not that many good games you could say that the wii has allot of shovelware while in reality ps2 is by far the king in that with the difference being that the wii barely has over 100 good games and the ps2 having over 500 - 600 great games while having 2000+ games of trash. tons more good games to cover all that trash

While the wii did not have the most games on there, it did however have some of the greatest games released very fond memories of the wii consoles

mario galaxy series, mario kart wii, one of the best in the series especially in the modding community, smash bros brawl and xenoblade chornicles sin and punishment.

honrable mentions from the past, pokemon battle revoltutions and the pokepark spinoff series. those 3d pokemon games copying the anime unlike the rpg pokemon games where nice. Those adventure games where fun, a bit on the easy side but games don;t need to be hard for them to be fun.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 08:11:24 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

ferraroso

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 09:21:04 am »
In my opinion it was the console with the largest amount of shovelware like... ever.
I've never been a Nintendo fan and, when it was officially announced I remember myself making fun of it and immediately thinking that its motion controls were nothing more than a gimmick (and I still stand by this opinion). There are many games with huge potential, but the motion controls that they tried to force on us ruined the console and most of its library to me...

It is, by far, the least favorite console in my collection...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:23:36 am by ferraroso »

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 11:58:50 am »
I love the Wii. I still play the games on my Wii U now. There's still games I want now like Fragile Dreams and Another Code R.

No More Heroes 1&2, Trauma Center, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Harvest Moon Animal Parade, among others. I still love those games. Motion controls were hit or miss, but when they hit I ate that shit up. My only major disappointment was Skyward Sword. I hated the shield parry.

kypherion

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 12:05:43 pm »
Solid console. Great game line-up, backwards compatibility, and most importantly to me: Homebrew! Hacking this white rectangle you can turn it in to a memcard manager or a DVD player or emulator! Totally worth $40-50!
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 03:54:41 pm »
I found it pretty poor, but I never liked motion controls which plagued a lot of the games on it like Super Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, etc...

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 07:58:50 pm »
I found it pretty poor, but I never liked motion controls which plagued a lot of the games on it like Super Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, etc...
There’s only one game where this really bothers me: Donkey Kong Country Returns .  It’s completely normal controls except for one crucial move that requires you to shake the Wii-mote.  It’s pretty irritating.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 08:41:26 pm »
There’s only one game where this really bothers me: Donkey Kong Country Returns .  It’s completely normal controls except for one crucial move that requires you to shake the Wii-mote.  It’s pretty irritating.

Super Mario Galaxy is sorta like that too, where it's generally a normal game Mario game, but then certain abilities require you to use motion controls.  That's the stuff I really hate, because it's almost a normal game, but then waggle controls are shoved in just to make it annoying.  Something that annoyingly made its way into Super Mario Odyssey too.

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 08:53:26 pm »
I found Galaxy’s to be rather unobtrusive (a flick of the wrist should do ya), and in Odyssey they at least aren’t required.  In DKCR you have to hold Wii-mote sideways and violently shake up and down with both hands for the ground pound, so it’s a much bigger offender in my eyes.

I tend to leave Skyward Sword out of these convos because the controls are 100% necessary for the game they built.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 09:37:46 pm »
I found Galaxy’s to be rather unobtrusive (a flick of the wrist should do ya), and in Odyssey they at least aren’t required.  In DKCR you have to hold Wii-mote sideways and violently shake up and down with both hands for the ground pound, so it’s a much bigger offender in my eyes.

I tend to leave Skyward Sword out of these convos because the controls are 100% necessary for the game they built.

For Skyward Sword, I just hate the motion controls themselves, but at least the game was built around them, rather than being more of just an afterthought gimmick.  With Odyssey, if I remember right, while the motion controls aren't required, the best version of a move that required either a flick or whatever could only be done with motion, which at that point, I don't even know why they added it.  It's been a long time since i played Odyssey,  so I don't remember specifically what it was, it just seemed like an annoying thing to realize.  That's the stuff that bugs me the most.  Sure, I don't like motion controls, but if you are gonna have them, then at least go all in to justify their existence.