Author Topic: What is your least favorite genre?  (Read 2516 times)

jcalder8

What is your least favorite genre?
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:44:55 am »
For me I cannot  get into Strategy RPGs. I have tried a bunch from Vandal Hearts to Tactics Ogre and I just can't stay interested in them. I normally get about 3 levels in and then give up.

Another that I have no interest in trying is MMORPGs but that had to do with the fact that you have to pay monthly and I just don't like other people that much.

htimreimer

Re: What is your least favorite genre?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:54:18 am »
mmo's and dungeon crawlers

soera

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:30:14 pm »
First person shooters. Every one of them is exactly the same as the other.
Sports games. Same as above.
Strategy RPG. B-O-R-I-N-G. If I wanted to do that, Id just play chess.

As far as MMOs go, they are hard to judge til you play them. Its really nifty to be able to log on at 4pm or 4am and have some people to play with. The fees arent as bad as it seems (EQ was $10 a month for a long time ... thats a month worth of unlimited play vs 2 beers at a bar). For a long time that $10 saved me more than it cost me.

scott

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:48:51 pm »
Sports games. I only buy a new sports game, maybe every 5-6 years. I think the last madden football I bought was for ps2. I have NBA 2k6 and College Hoops 2k6, and I think the last one I had before that was NBA 2k. I've not owned a baseball game since Ken Griffey Jr Slugfest for n64. The last real golf game I had was Links 2004.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

blipcs76

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 01:33:36 pm »
Hands-down, it's sports (unless it's over-the-top, cartoonish sports like Mario Golf or PunchOut).

Second is probably bland military FPS games.  I love innovative FPS games (Metroid Prime, Bioshock, Singularity, etc.), but I just don't enjoy games like COD, MOH or Battlefield. 

I take that back.  I dislike squad-based tactical FPS games even less.

jobocan

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 02:19:38 pm »
Simulators... flight simulators, farm simulators, train simulators, city simulators to some extent... I have trouble playing those for any extended amount of time. They just bore me for some reason.
Also MMOs... I used to play Ragnarok Online with friends on private servers and those were okay since leveling and drop rates were pretty high and guild wars were pretty contained things with mostly friends (or friends of friends) playing, but I tried other MMORPGs and they just bore me. It's just doing boring tasks over and over and over. I can't have fun with that.

Otherwise, I'm pretty open to anything as long as it's fun. Even though I don't like modern FPS, I LOVED Bulletstorm (and a lot of older FPS). Same with TPS, they're all pretty sucky due to over-reliance on cover mechanics and not on actual challenge, but Vanquish was amazing. Even sports games... Mario sport games are always fun, and older games like Ice Hockey and Tecmo Super Bowl are great since they were more intent on making the games fun than actually simulating the sport. I really go more on a game-by-game basis in this regard instead of just looking at a whole genre.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:20:29 pm by jobocan »

ffxik

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:34:33 pm »
There is always an exception to the rule when it comes to genres I can't stand.  There is almost always one game or so in the genre that I like, such as.

FPS: I absolutely hate them, but I enjoy Doom, Doom II, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, and Medal of Honor: Frontline.

Driving/Racing:  About the only ones I play are the Need for Speed games (Hot Pursuit, Most Wanted, etc.)  Also enjoy the Burnout games to an extent.

Sports: Like blipcs76 above stated.  I like the cartoony ones like Punchout.  Much like Modern Military Shooters this genre could dry up and die and I would honestly never miss it.

Card & Board:  I find these to be just stupid.  Pay $15 all round for you and your friends to enjoy a classic board game on the ol' TV when you could have save some cash and just bought the thing from Wal-Mart, and actually playing the game.  I turn on a console it's not going to be for UNO or something like that.

Simmulators:  I'm torn here.  I really like games like, Stronghold and Age of Empires, but you put me down infront of say Sim City, any Tycoon game, The Sims and I'll look for the nearest exit.

pacpix

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 10:23:50 pm »
My least favorites are probably RTS and Strategy RPG.  Not a huge fan of sports games, but I really enjoyed NHL Hitz on the gamecube and Baseball Simulator 1.000 on NES.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

madmax

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 10:31:33 pm »
Probably team sports. Those NHL and football games they rehash every year really become annoying.

hexen

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 05:35:41 am »
I'm not a big fan of:

FPS - This will be a running theme, but I do occasionally like cartoony and RPGish FPS games. Stuff like Modern Warfare bores me to tears, but Bioshock is good with it's RPG elements.

Sports - Unless it adds something beyond simply playing the sport, I feel it is worthless. Mario Sports games are good because they typically add power-ups and stuff, but FIFA and Madden can't even compete with paint drying.

Simulation/Driving - I like Mario Kart, but it is all together different then true racing games which I would classify as simulation. Battle Karting should be it's own genre, while Racing should be rated B for Boring.

I like pretty much everything else.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

darko

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 02:15:47 pm »
Tycoon games are my least favorite genre (with the only real exception being Roller Coaster Tycoon). I find most sports and simulation games to be pretty ridiculous as well. RTS games are also up there on my non-interest list as well as pure dungeon crawlers & MMOs.

I'm an outlier on the FPS games though. I really like the COD games but find most of the other FPS offerings to be pretty boring. I've never been able to get into Bioshock, for example. I think it's the interaction with other humans that gets me on that stuff. I'd probably enjoy some of the sports games more if 1) I could play them AT ALL and 2) if I was playing with other people.

The most bored I've ever been with any game in my history of gaming was EVE (the MMO). One of my friends literally played that game for over 1000 hours. I have absolutely zero idea what the draw was there or why anyone would ever want to play it. I lasted ~ 2 hours and about 75% of that time was spent traveling from one area to the other. I called my friend, told him he was a total idiot, and never touched it again.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:26:26 pm by darko »

psydswipe

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 03:58:26 pm »
2D Fighting. I just don't get it  :P They're still awfully popular though, and I can't believe Capcom can sell variations of Street Fighter IV three years in a row. I'll admit, I found the original Mortal Kombat amusing when I was a teenager, but I can't play a 2D fighter for very long before becoming bored or frustrated after the computer puts a 50-hit combo on me :-[

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 09:07:15 pm »
So many SRPG haters lol... It's my favorite!  I enjoy sports games the least... NBA Jam, Megaman Soccer, NFL Blitz etc are great but straight sports are no fun for me.

amauriel

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 09:27:28 pm »
I LOVE Simulation games, I can't believe how many of you are putting that down.  >:(

For me, it's easily FPS games, ESPECIALLY military ones. I hate the brown realism. I do like the ones where I can play it differently, like Team Fortress 2 (I play Engineer or Medic) or Bioshock, but I'm just generally awful at them and don't really care to improve.

Sports games would probably be next, although if its a sport I like and it's a silly take on sports it isn't so bad. Thing is, there really aren't too many sports I like. I will play Sega Soccer Slam with Ronalopolis and have a good time, but don't expect me to pick up FIFA 12.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

faxmachine

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 07:28:58 pm »
There are games that I hate to play, but love to watch. Like RTS games. I never really got into them, but I will watch StarCraft tournament footage all the time.

RPGs, never played them as a kid. I didn't have the patience. Maybe it is time to break the streak?