Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 62070 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2020, 09:56:43 pm »
Been watching The Righteous Gemstones because I love Danny McBride. Amazing show, not exactly what I expected from reading about it but I'm still loving it so far, I'm about halfway through. I think Close Enough came out today too, may check it out because I liked Regular Show and I'm trying not to let my HBO Max subscription go to waste lol.

« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2020, 04:37:17 pm »
Binged through Gravity Falls this weekend.  Pretty delightful show from Disney XD.  It's like Rick & Morty for kids by way of The X-Files and Twin Peaks.  A boatload of good voice talent involved as well.  Big recommend.

« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2020, 08:19:50 am »
Top of the Lake is a detective show from New Zealand that is incredibly frustrating to watch because of the constant dumb decisions made by the lead character, which is a shame, because it is generally good aside from that.  The GF and I started referring to it as Elisabeth Moss stars in "Dumb Detective."

11.22.63 is a pretty good mini-series based on the novel of the same name by Stephen King, about an English teacher that goes back in time to stop the assassination of JFK.  The biggest issue is that it forgoes a lot of wordbuilding in lieu of the assassination plot, which is disappointing, as the worldbuilding is far and away the best part of the novel.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2020, 02:37:10 pm »
Right now the only things I'm following on a regular basis is the CW's Stargirl. LOVE that show. It's such a love letter to the JSA and Infinity Inc. And I grew up reading those comics. The old Earth-2 DC characters were awesome.

And I'm going through Star Trek: Deep Space Nine on CBS All Access while I wait for Star Trek: Discovery Season 3. Never followed it when it originally aired. I was watching Star Trek TNG and Voyager then, and thought DS9 was just below them and not as good. Honestly, that opinion hasn't changed. But it's still worth watching. It has some real standout episodes.

I'm waiting for The Flash, NWA Wrestling, and Star Trek: Discovery to start new seasons.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 08:43:53 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2020, 06:29:49 pm »
DS9 is best Trek, yo!

Binged Atlanta over the last 2 days.  I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.  It's shifts through genres effortlessly while feeling both very real and incredibly surreal.  Not for everyone, but I'd recommend everyone at least giving a shot.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2020, 08:45:21 pm »
DS9 is best Trek, yo!

Binged Atlanta over the last 2 days.  I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.  It's shifts through genres effortlessly while feeling both very real and incredibly surreal.  Not for everyone, but I'd recommend everyone at least giving a shot.

I do love Quark, and Bashir and O'Brien together.

« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2020, 11:48:16 am »
About to finish Childrens Hospital which is a completely bizarre Adult Swim show from most of the Wet Hot American Summer team.  It's really funny, but it's so dense and insane that it's difficult to binge.  GF has requested something a little toned down for our next watch.

Warmsignal

« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2020, 11:42:22 am »
Started watching "the new" Unsolved Mysteries. Yeah, I'm a sucker for these kinds of shows. Loved the Robert Stack era, he was fantastic at telling creepy stories. However, the "new" show does not have any narration which is a disappointment. As many other people as there are these days who wish they were Stack, they couldn't find anyone?

It's literally the only reason I'm not cancelling my Netflix yet. I can't find anything worth watching on it.

« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2020, 02:13:22 pm »
Binged through Umbrella Academy Season 2, I enjoyed it, maybe not quite as much as the first season, I'm not sure, but overall I enjoy the series.  It's weird and goofy, much like why I enjoy Doom Patrol.

« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2020, 10:29:22 am »
I recently went through every episode of Hoarders that was available on Hulu.  Every other episode involved me thinking that I was one tragic event away from becoming one of them.  Maybe just a bit cleaner.

Finally finished out Season 5 of The Adventures of the Gummi Bears.  i really hope this isn't indicative of the rest of the Disney Afternoon cartoons, because its been a bit of a slog.

Kitchen Nightmares is my replacement background show for Hoarders.  A bit more formulaic, but still a guilty pleasure watch.

And when I'm not working I'm doing my first rewatch of Mad Men which is just truly incredible television.

UPDATE: Finally finished Gummi Bears.  Far more of a chore than I hoped it would be.  Started DuckTales - we'll see how that goes.

Also finished Season 5 of Mad Men last night.  Definitely not as as strong overall as the first 4, but episodes 11 and 12 are some of the strongest the show ever had.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 05:44:28 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2020, 06:45:32 pm »

Got around to watching the Pokemon Twilight Wings web short series and it's great.  Maybe some of the best Pokemon stuff I've seen in awhile as the animation is top notch and all these little short stories were real nice.  It makes me like Pokemon Sword more, because I found the game to be very underwhelming, no real story going on, no voice acting, nothing all that great character happening, it's a real half-assed release, but I hope they do more of these shorts with this level of quality.

« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2020, 02:16:19 pm »
Finished Mad Men.  I like season 7 a bit more than I remembered, but it did definitely feel like it was time for the show to end.

Lucifer season 5 released on Friday.  It was a pretty good entertaining time, but still sagging under the Lucifer / Chloe relationship.  The mythology remains easily the best part of the show.

UPDATE: The Umbrella Academy Season Two was pretty good.  Felt like it lost a little steam in the back half, but it was still a good, fun watch.

The Harley Quinn series from DC Universe is shockingly great.  They put the first two seasons on HBO Max and the gf and I binged them over the weekend.  Their takes on Bane, King Shark, and Gordon are all really solid.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:36:00 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2020, 03:37:23 am »

Been kinda binging through Bojack Horseman the past few days.  I didn't really like it at first, the humor wasn't really clicking, but it's been growing on me abit as I get through towards the end of Season 2.  Not sure if I'll keep on, The Boys Season 2 is out today, so I'll probably switch to that at least for this weekend.

« Reply #148 on: September 05, 2020, 07:07:12 am »
Been kinda binging through Bojack Horseman the past few days.  I didn't really like it at first, the humor wasn't really clicking, but it's been growing on me abit as I get through towards the end of Season 2.  Not sure if I'll keep on, The Boys Season 2 is out today, so I'll probably switch to that at least for this weekend.

Yeah, I thought Bojack didn't really start clicking until Season 2.  The first one was fine, but it was definitely a "I don't see what all the fuss is about" thing until I got a little further in.

I'm finishing the 2019 Swamp Thing today.  It's surprisingly solid, but let down a bit by the two leads, who are both a bit bland - which is disappointing because of the surprisingly deep supporting cast.  There's some interesting behind the scenes drama about how the tax credits it was supposed to receive weren't filed with the state correctly, so it went massively over budget by not getting those rebates.  Because of this it was cancelled on the same day as the premiere, because it would have been too expensive to continue.  That freedom, however, has made the back of the season feel very propulsive and unhindered, since they made it knowing they weren't continuing.

UPDATE: Perry Mason was great.  Kinda bummed it was only 8 episodes.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 10:02:38 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2020, 01:55:56 am »
Finished up Bojack Horseman and I gotta say that I liked it.  It's this weird mixture of really dark and depressing happenings alongside goofy absurd nonsense, but all done in an ongoing story where characters grow or change.  It's not gonna be something I ever rewatch, but if the show ever comes back, I could continue on with it.