Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59786 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #300 on: June 08, 2022, 05:55:40 pm »
Been watching a lot of One Piece the past month as I got back to my marathon re-watch of the series.  I got through the Sky Island Arc, of which the Skypeia stuff is pretty alright, I thought Eneru was a pretty solid villain for most of it and I liked the story going on.  The Water 7 Saga stuff was definitely a big step up afterwards, probably the best so far I'd say with the Water 7 Arc and Enies Lobby Arc in particular bringing a lot of good story stuff with Usopp and the Merry, Robin and Frankies backstories, and further expansion of the World Government stuff and how corrupt it all is.  I am skipping all the filler arc's they do, as it's usually not that entertaining and it's not useful for the story, so that helps for sure.

Currently in the Thriller Bark stuff, which is alright, the setup is kinda fun, but we get introduced to Brooke who is probably my least favorite of the crew and never really becomes likable to me.  Like Usopp was sorta that character for awhile for me, but he does grow a lot and he's way better after the time skip, where as Brooke is just always the same, which is a shame as he's the music dude of the group and I just don't care for him.  Oh well, this arc will be a nice bit of fun before the next saga which has some pretty awesome stuff coming up.

« Reply #301 on: June 12, 2022, 08:56:16 pm »
This latest batch of Stranger Things is easily the most I've liked the show season one.  Called the big episode 7 reveal during the prisoner flashback, but it was still cool. Hot take, Hop should have stayed dead.  Would have given S2-3 more meaning and trimmed the most pointless story thread of the season.

« Reply #302 on: June 14, 2022, 02:38:39 am »
Finally getting around to watching Demon Slayer again, I went through the Mugen Train arc and thought it was fairly solid, Rengoku being just an absolute top tier lad in it.  Kinda reminds me of fiery sword wielding All Might.  Of course Ufotable bringing their just absolutely incredible fight scene moments.  Thankfully Zenitsu is practically non-existent in this arc.  Hate him with a passion lol

« Reply #303 on: June 14, 2022, 08:18:14 pm »
Season 3 of Barry is far more surreal, and a bit more uneven, than the first two but it still a fantastic showcase for all involved.

gngtiger

« Reply #304 on: June 16, 2022, 09:40:22 pm »
I'm enjoying Ms. Marvel a ton so far (even only a couple of episodes in). It reminds me a ton of Spider-Verse and I dig that. It's shaping up to be the best Marvel Disney+ series thus far.

« Reply #305 on: June 20, 2022, 06:04:13 am »
Bosch Season 7 - I honestly don't know why I finished the whole series for this, kinda just casually binged a season off and on over the past year or two, but I don't know, it's just kind of a chill cop drama, it has its moments, but it never often gets too crazy or over the top.  It's nothing great, but it was okay.  I think I had the same issue with some previous seasons, but the side story stuff that isn't focused on Bosch, are really kinda holding back things abit, it's rarely that interesting to warrant cutting away too.  Like this isn't The Wire where you are going from intense cop stuff to intense criminal stuff.  I guess it sorta shows the breadth of happenings in a department, from the poltically infused top, to the interpersonal actions of the station, but I kinda started to hit a point where I was skipping past some of it.

Don't know if I'll watch the new show, maybe I will down the road, this show kinda became my "I need something casual to watch, even though I have a bunch of other stuff to watch, but I'm not really in the mood to watch that, so I'll just watch this straight forward cop drama." lol
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 06:11:06 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #306 on: June 23, 2022, 08:56:23 am »
Obi-Wan Kenobi is pretty solid overall.  Some small missteps here and there, but mostly a well told story about Obi-Wan overcame his post-Clone Wars disillusionment and came to terms with Vader, the Empire, etc.

telly

« Reply #307 on: June 24, 2022, 09:35:36 am »
Finished watching Fleabag last night. It's one of my girlfriend's favorite TV series. I enjoyed it quite a bit though there were some things I wasn't the biggest fan of particularly in the first season, and a couple plot threads that weren't quite resolved in the way I was hoping in the second season. Still a really good show with fantastic writing, acting and humor. We enjoyed discussing each episode quite a bit.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #308 on: June 25, 2022, 05:06:15 pm »
I like the first season of Fleabag, but I think the second is some of the best television I've ever seen.  Andrew Scott is so good as Hot Priest.

Worst Roommate Ever - Very solid true crime series that basically does a different case each episode, but there's some weird cheap looking animation they use instead of reenactments that just doesn't work.

The second season of Russian Doll tells a much different style of story than the first but still has the same acerbic edge and commitment to its theme, so it is still very recognizable as the same show.

The second season of Tuca & Bertie is just as funny, weird, and poignant as the first.

Wild Wild Country is a good documentary, about the Rajneesh cult, but it really drags in places, especially if you have a working knowledge of the story.  This 6 hours series could have easily been trimmed by 2 hours or so.  Maybe more.

I really like that Season 4 The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel kinda moved everyone back from such high levels of success and kept them in one place.  It starts getting kinda really outlandish and bizarre in the back half, which I honestly think I loved.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 07:11:20 pm by Cartagia »

gngtiger

« Reply #309 on: July 02, 2022, 12:58:48 am »
Volume two of Stranger Things Season 4 is also great, though I would've loved more of a triumphant ending. Feels kind of like Infinity War, but not as much of a gut punch.

« Reply #310 on: July 02, 2022, 08:53:15 pm »
Geez, the Stranger Things Volume 1 episodes had a lot going on, but the pacing was great.  Where did that go for Volume 2?  Other than the first and last 5 minutes of episode 8 was superfluous.  Episode 9 is better, but really has issues balancing all the stories.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 09:23:07 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #311 on: July 04, 2022, 07:38:47 pm »
I started watching season 4 of Stranger Things. But then quickly realized I had forgotten a lot since it had been so long. So now I'm starting over at the beginning.

You're in for a ride with this one :)

Easily first or second best season of the quadrilogy. The duffer brothers are absolute mad men in terns of perfectionism and time appropriate story telling through the sci fi genre. I have flown to meet the cast and never regret a second. I am happy you're going back to catch up because this one is definitely a purists season. A lot of tie ins throughout.  You're gonna love it.

With that said I just began a Beverly Hills 90210 binge. Brenda Walsh, Brandon Walsh and the gang of high faluting spoiled rich kids who tend to have more problems than their wealth would display. I love the show.

« Reply #312 on: July 04, 2022, 07:51:48 pm »
We Own this City - Really good mini-series about police corruption on Baltimore.  Feels a bit like David Simon is trying a little too hard to recreate The Wire, though.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - The best and most consistent first season of Star Trek series, and maybe one of the best seasons of the franchise as a whole.  So, so good.

First season of Ozark is pretty solid, but it tries a bit too hard to be like other prestige TV that it gets a little sloppy in the storytelling.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 04:43:29 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #313 on: July 13, 2022, 03:45:03 pm »
Stranger Things Season 4 - I had a great time with this.  I don't remember the previous seasons in enough detail to figure out where I would place this one in comparison to them, but I had a lot of fun with it.  The slasher movie vibes and "Satanic Panic" stuff they added was a cool addition to the 80's adventure stuff they had going on.  I'm not sure if I was in love with how spread out the stories were, like you have the Hawkin's crew, the West Coast crew, and then the West Coast crew story splits, and then there's the Russian dealings, and while it wasn't hard to follow, it did feel a smidge disjointed.  It does come together towards the end well and sets up for a really exciting final season though.

« Reply #314 on: July 14, 2022, 08:06:08 pm »
Season 3 of The Boys is incredibly solid, even better than S2.  It gets a little too mean in a couple of spots, and there's at least one super coincidence that bugs me, but still really good.