Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59798 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 06:33:28 pm »
The Wire never really “takes off”.  It’s a slow build that is constantly adding new layers and complications while simultaneously exploring both sides of the law.  It’s engaging and intriguing, but it’s also a realistic look into that kind of life, so don’t expect set pieces or anything like that.

I just watched I Think You Should Leave on Netflix.  It’s a an utterly bizarre and surreal sketch show that is also incredibly funny.

Oh that's fine if it's more like that, I meant "taking off" more in way of the story really settling in, as the first couple episodes so far feel more about just working me into the setting, but it's starting to hit that point 3 or 4 episodes in now.  I'm fine with it not having any big crazy set pieces like a Breaking Bad would as a more realistic take on things can still be engaging.

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 01:25:40 pm »
I just finished Seasons 1-3 of King of the Hill last night.  This is a show that has aged remarkably well, but I believe I’m about to start getting into the era where I didn’t really watch it anymore.  I figured this would be a good spot for small break since there are still around 200 episodes to go.

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 10:06:02 pm »
Season 3 of The Handmaid’s Tale.  Pretty inconsistent, but it finished extremely strong.  There’s finally some major catharsis at work after 3 seasons of misery.

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2019, 10:30:18 pm »
Got through Season 1 and Season 2 of The Wire.  Season 2 wasn't as good to me.  Felt disjointed dealing with so many different storylines going on, not nearly as tight as Season 1.  The show is still pretty consistent though, so I'm hoping Season 3 can pull it back in, though taking a break from this to go watch The Walking Dead now that Season 9 is up on Netflix.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:47:07 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 09:34:49 am »
Got through Season 1 and Season 2 of The Wire.  Season 2 wasn't as good to me.  Felt disjointed dealing with so many different storylines going on, not nearly as tight as Season 1.  The show is still pretty consistent though, so I'm hoping Season 3 can pull it back in, though taking a break from this to go watch The Walking Dead now that Season 9 is up on Netflix.

Season 2 is kind of considered the odd-man-out.  I don't think its the worst season, but it is a bit tonally and structurally different that all of the others, because of just how much it shifts the storytelling focus.  Each season expands the scope of the show in some way, but Season 2 probably does it the least organically.

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 07:44:55 pm »

Season 2 is kind of considered the odd-man-out.  I don't think its the worst season, but it is a bit tonally and structurally different that all of the others, because of just how much it shifts the storytelling focus.  Each season expands the scope of the show in some way, but Season 2 probably does it the least organically.

Yeah there's just way too many separate stories going on and the stuff with Stringer and West Baltimore gangs were unnecessary to the stuff going on with the docks, though I know they had to have it there to keep that story going till Season 3 when they are back on that stuff.

I also started into the new Dark Crystal TV show, just the first episode, and it's really well done.  The mixture of CG and puppetry looks really good, giving it all a bigger scope.  Lots of good actors in it too, though outright I only recognized Mark Hamill and Sigourney Weaver.  Should be a real nice watch.

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 07:48:22 pm »
I just finished Episode 4 of Dark Crystal.  It’s incredible.

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 01:21:15 am »

After re-watching the original movie a month or so ago, I was worried the the CG would overpower the puppets and actual sets too much, but it all blends so well, with CG being best for grander shots, and puppets and good sets up close.  The only thing I'd say was a little overdone with CG was that the Skeksis have CG tongues when they talk and it mildly distracting, because they don't all have wiggling tongues in every shot that the Skeksis talk, so I have to wonder why they even spent the money on doing that.  Other than that, I can't wait to continue the series.

tripredacus

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2019, 12:04:51 pm »
Currently watching Transformers: Prime and in the middle of season 3.

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 06:17:20 am »
Got through Walking Dead Season 9 and while the first half was fairly boring, the second half was generally better.  A change in the story helped to make things fresher, bring in a new dynamic, though it's still not reaching the best stuff of the earlier seasons.  Pretty standard stuff for TWD.  All it makes me want to do is read the comics, which I might do eventually.  I believe the tv show is still using the comics story points, but there's big character differences between them and the comic has always been way more intense.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:36:50 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2019, 07:01:53 am »

Finished it last night.  I can't believe the show ended up being this good.  I wasn't the biggest fan of the original (it's a technical marvel while being only an OK movie, at best).  This series takes all the best things about the movie and makes them better while also telling an amazing original story.  Cannot recommend it enough.

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 05:16:30 pm »
Just finished the Lizzie Borden took an Axe movie and the following season that chronicles the aftermath "Lizzie Borden Chronicles" on netflix.   Since I live in the city it took place, it was pretty neat to see :).   I think the movie was very much so better than the series but they are sorta intertwined.  Very good views although their were quite a few historical inaccuracies.  They made lizzie pretty hot which was funny and it clearly had a bias to how the events took place in the mind of the director.  Which was cool. 

I love the wonderful scenery and how they really brought it back into that era.  The series didn't take place in Fall River but it did it's best to capture the vibe which was cool.  Great performances. 

I also have started binging Ink Master on YouTube.  I don't have cable which sucks and it's not on netflix so I have to just watch highlights :(.   But boy is that show addictive and fun.  I don't even have any tattoos nor am I an artist but I still love it :)

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2019, 05:19:38 pm »
Got through Walking Dead Season 9 and while the first half was fairly boring, the second half was generally better.  A change in the story helped to make things fresher, bring in a new dynamic, though it's still not reaching the best stuff of the earlier seasons.  Pretty standard stuff for TWD.  All it makes me want to do is read the comics, which I might do eventually.  I believe the tv show is still using the comics story points, but there's big character differences between them and the comic has always been way more intense.

Do you think I will like Walking Dead?  I was actually spoiled to it pretty early on by one of the characters dying but now i've come to realize every single character dies so it's not much of a spoiler if I watch from the beggining lol. 

I love the telltale game series. I heard they are similar.  I think they are both inspired from the comics right?

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2019, 05:43:20 pm »

Do you think I will like Walking Dead?  I was actually spoiled to it pretty early on by one of the characters dying but now i've come to realize every single character dies so it's not much of a spoiler if I watch from the beggining lol. 

I love the telltale game series. I heard they are similar.  I think they are both inspired from the comics right?

If you liked the Telltale games for their story, that's basically what the show is.  The show is based on the comics story wise, but the games are kinda emulating the comics look a little bit, but are an original story in that setting.

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 09:37:33 am »
Seasons 4-5 of King of the Hill are done.  I’ve been laid up in bed a lot the last couple of weeks.  I also knocked out the last 6 or so episodes of Last Week Tonight yesterday.