Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59789 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2019, 11:08:01 pm »
Charged ahead with KotH S6, which was extremely strong.  The first two episodes are filled with two classic moments; “That’s my purse!  I don’t know you!” and “Pocket sand!” respectively.

Took a break and binged Preacher S3 over the last two days.  It’s never been the best, and is often inconsistent, but it’s entertaining as hell.

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2019, 09:38:15 am »
This week I watched the Netflix mini-series Godless.  It's a good Western, but not quite what the marketing would have you believe.  It's a rather traditional Western that happens to include a town of women, it is not a Western about a town full of women.

Disenchantment Part 2 is definitely better than Part 1, but it still feels like it is missing something to really make it good.

American Horror Story: Apocalypse is easily my least favorite season of the show.  I've got a couple of episodes left, but I find myself quite bored by it.

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2019, 07:28:09 am »
Binged through the last season and a half of Gotham and finished it.  I was real off and on with the show, I think like the first half is a real mixed bag, but it got better for sure in the latter half and the last season in general was the best I think.  The show did enough to put it over the rest of the general super hero type shows I think, primarily the CW ones as it would get abit bloodier and nastier at times, though it's hilarious how often people are brutally shot or seemingly killed just for them to go "Oh, they totally survived or are in a coma".  It's kinda common in the comics, but not something you see in a show as often I feel and it comes off pretty silly.  Oh and the amount of times characters teamed up, just to betray each other might be in like the dozens? It's kinda ridiculous, especially towards the end lol

Overall I liked the show though.

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2019, 06:27:57 pm »
I finished the BBC / Netflix show Bodyguard.  It was like a more well paced, shorter UK-version of 24.  Good fun watch, but a little convoluted at the very end

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2019, 04:23:35 am »

Had a real good watch with Carnival Row.  I love the setting, mixing what is generally a sort of 1700's/1800's, Industrial Era, London, with that of a fantasy backdrop.  It's not based in any actual setting, a very different world, but because of that, it gets away from the faults you might see, like with that shit Netflix movie Bright.  As a general fantasy setting, it is pretty well done, kinda Fantastic Beasts crossed with Game of Thrones, but magic is fairly minimal in the story, so kinda leans in that way that you see with GoT.

Characters are all real good, I was actually genuinely interested to more know of the lore, more about the war that happened, the other side of the conflict that actually won it, but it seems to not be based on any book unfortunately.  Turns out the co-creator that wrote it also wrote the screenplay for Pacific Rim, which I love too.

I do recommend it if you want something with a taste of fantasy to it.

*EDIT*
Man, it's only been a few days since I finished the series, but I still want more.  That's a sign of a good series I feel, because I just wish this was based on a book so I could go read more and I don't usually read a lot of books (Last read Game of Thrones a few years back).  Got me into a fantasy mood and thought about rewatching Lord of the Rings, which also has Orlando Bloom in it lol
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 10:54:45 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 01:13:44 am »

Well here's one the best western cartoons I think I've watched in awhile.  It's only 5 episodes so far, not sure if that's the whole season or if they plan for more, the last episode definitely isn't an end, more of a middle of the story type of feel, but it's so good.  Genndy Tatakovsky once again just makes really engaging animation.  I love that he's doing darker, bloodier, stuff now after the final season for Samurai Jack, and he goes all out here.  Dinosaurs, Ape-Men, Mammoths, all just getting ripped and battered.  There is no dialogue at all at any point, there's no setup for this intense, primal, fantasy world, you are just brought in and you are along for the ride, but they do a lot to characterize Spear and Fang, the sound design and music they do use really draws you in, so it's well designed. 

I highly recommend it if you want just a damn good show.

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2019, 04:41:08 pm »
Finished season 2 of worlds fastest car.  It's a very fun show to binge.  The episodes go by so fast because they are just exciting to view.   They pin 3 home built cars,  like rat rods, civics,  junk cars,  and project cars against a rich person in a supercar and see who wins.   

The winners go on to a finale to race in a head to head.   

I hope anyone who loves cars will give it a shot.  It's really fun.  and funny at times.

kypherion

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2019, 02:42:15 pm »

Since it's October, I'm rewatching Castlevania! Probably my fourth time now, so glad it finally got a show!
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

pzeke

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2019, 09:52:13 am »
Binged through the last season and a half of Gotham and finished it.  I was real off and on with the show, I think like the first half is a real mixed bag, but it got better for sure in the latter half and the last season in general was the best I think.  The show did enough to put it over the rest of the general super hero type shows I think, primarily the CW ones as it would get abit bloodier and nastier at times, though it's hilarious how often people are brutally shot or seemingly killed just for them to go "Oh, they totally survived or are in a coma".  It's kinda common in the comics, but not something you see in a show as often I feel and it comes off pretty silly.  Oh and the amount of times characters teamed up, just to betray each other might be in like the dozens? It's kinda ridiculous, especially towards the end lol

Overall I liked the show though.

That Batman reveal was god-awful, though.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2019, 06:46:15 am »
I watched the first 6 episode of Season 4 of The Good Place because they were about to start taking them off On Demand and I couldn't wait.  It's still easily one of the most creative and funny shows on TV.  I'll be sad to see it go.

Also almost finished with the Netflix series Tuca & Birdie.  It's utterly freaking bizarre.  It's hilarious, but often goes off in totally unexpected directions.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2019, 06:36:11 pm »
Just started Preacher on hulu man that shit is weird but I can't stop watching.

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2019, 11:42:33 pm »
Just started Preacher on hulu man that shit is weird but I can't stop watching.

It's definitely a trip! I'm patiently waiting for the last season to hit streaming so I can see how it all end.

With October over I have switched back over to my total watch / rewatch of King of the Hill.  It is amazing how it feels both timeless and stuck in the 90s.

Finally got around to Good Omens, which has a cast that I love, but I ended up feeling the same about the show that I did about the novel - it's good but something about it just doesn't grab me the way I feel like the content should.

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2019, 10:57:19 am »

So, I watched the first season of Adventures of the Gummi Bears on Disney+.  It's definitely a cartoon from the 80s.  Not great, not terrible, just some decent fluff to have on in the background.  I plan on making my way through a fair chunk of the classic Disney Afternoon stuff on the new service, so I figured I would start at the beginning.  I've got much higher hopes for stuff like Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck.

I also watched the first episode of The Mandalorian, which hit pretty much all the buttons I was hoping.  It's so nice to really get to see the underside of the SW Universe.  Plus, Life Day is now canon!

Also, King of the Hill, Season 8.  Still good, but I'm kind of starting to hate Peggy.

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 06:36:26 pm »

Coming off what Star Wars has been for the last several years, I wasn't as much excited about The Mandalorian as I was curious. As far as Star Wars has fallen I still have hope that it'll become great again, or at least be passable entertainment, which is exactly what The Mandalorian is.

The first episode of The Mandalorian was pretty good overall, although it by no means was great on the level of the prequels or especially the OT. I guess the best direct comparison would be between this and Rogue One; the look and feel of this was very Rogue One, as was the more gritty, underbelly of Star Wars feel that it had. This show definitely was interesting based on the fact that it didn't have anything directly to do with the events of the original trilogy or the sequel trilogy, which was very refreshing imo. I want to see more Star Wars that isn't trying to succeed on the coattails of the original or prequel trilogy, but instead does its own thing set in the Star Wars universe.

The production quality of the show was pretty good and a lot of practical effects were used which made it feel very authentic. There were parts that felt cheap or like I was watching someone's fan movie, but overall the show looked great as did the alien costumes and sets. We are introduced to several characters, but unfortunately the main character has felt fairly undeveloped. However I won't criticize this too much since it's only the first episode. As for what happened in the first episode, there is a somewhat strange tonal shift at one point in the episode that was a bit off, but it did little to distract from the overall good quality of the episode. The climax and final scene of episode 1 were the best part and the ending definitely left you on a cliffhanger that makes me want to watch the next episode. One other thing I wanted to mention about the ending is the best depiction of an IG droid in all of Star Wars, which was totally bad ass!

While it wasn't riveting by any means, The Mandalorian's first episode was a breath of fresh air for the franchise. It was cool, well made, entertaining, but most of all it felt like Star Wars. Particularly this felt like if someone adapted an EU novel or comic into a high budget TV show or movie, which is something I wish Disney would have done instead of scrapping the old Legends EU. I will be watching the next episode and likely the whole first season. I really hope that Disney doesn't drop the ball on this show or ruin it in some way. I'd like to be optimistic, but this is the same Disney and Lucasfilm that brought us TLJ and Solo. We'll see I guess.

The Mandalorian: Episode 1: 7/10
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:48:43 pm by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 06:49:16 pm »

So, I watched the first season of Adventures of the Gummi Bears on Disney+.  It's definitely a cartoon from the 80s.  Not great, not terrible, just some decent fluff to have on in the background.  I plan on making my way through a fair chunk of the classic Disney Afternoon stuff on the new service, so I figured I would start at the beginning.  I've got much higher hopes for stuff like Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck.

I also watched the first episode of The Mandalorian, which hit pretty much all the buttons I was hoping.  It's so nice to really get to see the underside of the SW Universe.  Plus, Life Day is now canon!

Also, King of the Hill, Season 8.  Still good, but I'm kind of starting to hate Peggy.

Yeah Gummi Bears was never one of my favorites from back in the day, just a casual bit of entertainment, but a lot of the other stuff I loved from the Disney Afternoon like Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Tailspin, Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales.  I actually plan to check out the new Duck Tales since I saw that was on the service and I've heard there were some good episodes and they've been bringing in characters from other shows like Darkwing Duck into it.