Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59797 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2019, 04:44:33 am »

Watched The Mandalorian too and really enjoyed it.  It's the kind of story stuff I've wanted to see from Star Wars done in show form, where it is a more stripped down story dealing with a side of that universe that we don't usually see, something we would've got with the canceled 1313 game, so it's nice that we are sorta getting that here in a different way.  Just one episode to go on, so I can't say too much on it, but the effects and action is good and I'm curious to see where they take it.

ferraroso

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2019, 02:46:41 pm »
I just started watching Rick and Morty after some friend's recommendation a couple of weeks ago and I am two episodes away from finishing the third season. It's the first animated series I've watched in, like, a decade or so and I'm finding it to be pretty entertaining!

Definitely recommended even for people who, like me, may have some bias against cartoons in general...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:48:27 pm by ferraroso »

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2019, 03:50:46 pm »

Coming off what Star Wars has been for the last several years, I wasn't as much excited about The Mandalorian as I was curious. As far as Star Wars has fallen I still have hope that it'll become great again, or at least be passable entertainment, which is exactly what The Mandalorian is.

The first episode of The Mandalorian was pretty good overall, although it by no means was great on the level of the prequels or especially the OT. I guess the best direct comparison would be between this and Rogue One; the look and feel of this was very Rogue One, as was the more gritty, underbelly of Star Wars feel that it had. This show definitely was interesting based on the fact that it didn't have anything directly to do with the events of the original trilogy or the sequel trilogy, which was very refreshing imo. I want to see more Star Wars that isn't trying to succeed on the coattails of the original or prequel trilogy, but instead does its own thing set in the Star Wars universe.

The production quality of the show was pretty good and a lot of practical effects were used which made it feel very authentic. There were parts that felt cheap or like I was watching someone's fan movie, but overall the show looked great as did the alien costumes and sets. We are introduced to several characters, but unfortunately the main character has felt fairly undeveloped. However I won't criticize this too much since it's only the first episode. As for what happened in the first episode, there is a somewhat strange tonal shift at one point in the episode that was a bit off, but it did little to distract from the overall good quality of the episode. The climax and final scene of episode 1 were the best part and the ending definitely left you on a cliffhanger that makes me want to watch the next episode. One other thing I wanted to mention about the ending is the best depiction of an IG droid in all of Star Wars, which was totally bad ass!

While it wasn't riveting by any means, The Mandalorian's first episode was a breath of fresh air for the franchise. It was cool, well made, entertaining, but most of all it felt like Star Wars. Particularly this felt like if someone adapted an EU novel or comic into a high budget TV show or movie, which is something I wish Disney would have done instead of scrapping the old Legends EU. I will be watching the next episode and likely the whole first season. I really hope that Disney doesn't drop the ball on this show or ruin it in some way. I'd like to be optimistic, but this is the same Disney and Lucasfilm that brought us TLJ and Solo. We'll see I guess.

The Mandalorian: Episode 1: 7/10

Watched Episode 2 and while I'm not going to do a full review I will say that it was very, very good! Even better than episode 1. I'd give it an 8/10 overall.

I'm going to hold off reviewing anymore of this show until season 1 has concluded and then I'll give my full thoughts on it overall.

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2019, 07:00:49 am »
King of the Hill seasons 9-10.  This is definitely where the show starts to get a little shakier.  Still plenty of good episodes, but the number of duds is just a lip bit higher, with ones like Enrique-cilible Differences and Hank’s Bully.  Both are ok in a vacuum, but compared to the rest of the series are aggressive “meh”.

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2019, 07:26:31 pm »
Hello everyone!   Just made it back from strangercon 2019 in Dallas, TX.   :D   A convention tributing the cult icon Stranger Things!    My all time favorite netflix show. 

I must say, it was the absolute best weekend of my entire life,  so much so to the point that my actual life following it has felt completely void of fun and actually depressing in contrast.  Which is something i'm trying hard to fix before I spiral into depression.   Mostly coping by saving up for the next lol. 

But I will say,  the atmosphere was electric.   The convention staff were incredible.   And Millie Bobby Brown and Caleb McLaughlin who play Eleven and Lucas on the show were both extremely nice and wonderful people.  I got to meet both and got a few of my pops signed by them :D

Millie is extremely talented.  and did some voice impressions at the Q+A which was awesome.  Spoilers were made by Millie but I won't share those here in case people don't want to know :)

Hope everyone has a very happy holidays.  :D

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2019, 08:59:06 am »
Hello everyone!   Just made it back from strangercon 2019 in Dallas, TX.   :D   A convention tributing the cult icon Stranger Things!    My all time favorite netflix show.  .....
Sounds like you had a terrific trip!
I picked-up Stranger Things and Stranger Things 2 on Blu-Ray recently. I have watched every episode I own except the last episode of Stranger Things 2. Maybe I will get to watch it tonight. I think the show is very well done, and I hope to get the next season soon. Its the best Sci-Fi show I have seen in years.

telly

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2019, 10:07:02 am »
I've been watching Queer Eye lately  ;D
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2019, 09:08:47 am »

Earlier this year I watched The Expanse.  It was amazing.  Then a few weeks ago I read the first novel the show is based on.  Then Amazon announced the premiere date for Season 4 (December 13).

Last week, the GF and I decided, sure, why not, lets watch it again before the new comes on - but let's not go nuts.  We don't have to speed through it.  We are already halfway through Season 2.

This show is so good, ya'll.  It's pretty handily the best hard sci-fi show that has ever existed.

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2019, 11:42:35 am »

I said I wasn't going to say anything else about this show until the season was over, but I absolutely cannot contain how happy and impressed I was with the last episode! Wow! For the first time since The Force Awakens came out I actually felt like I was watching Star Wars again. Full disclosure, there is one particular scene towards the end that actually put tears in my eyes; I was just so happy to be watching something again that resembled and felt like Star Wars.

Of course we aren't even halfway through the series so there is still a lot of room for things to go south, but right now The Mandalorian has just got better and better with each episode. I have to give episode 3 a solid 10/10. Wow!

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2019, 04:04:52 pm »
The Mandalorian: episode 4: 5/10

This was definitely the weakest episode so far, mostly because it felt kind of a like a filler episode, which this show should not have considering it's only 8 episodes and they're only about a half hour each. A new character called Cara Dune was introduced and she is a breath of fresh air as an actually well written character in Disney Star Wars. She is also a total badass while also being relatable. There is also a pretty cool scene towards the end of the episode, but overall this one was a bit on the mundane and boring side.

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2019, 07:42:53 pm »
The Mandalorian: episode 4: 5/10

This was definitely the weakest episode so far, mostly because it felt kind of a like a filler episode, which this show should not have considering it's only 8 episodes and they're only about a half hour each. A new character called Cara Dune was introduced and she is a breath of fresh air as an actually well written character in Disney Star Wars. She is also a total badass while also being relatable. There is also a pretty cool scene towards the end of the episode, but overall this one was a bit on the mundane and boring side.
Yes definitely the worst so far.

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2019, 08:09:26 pm »
Now I am watching Season 9 of the Walking Dead. Then it will be on to Season 1 of Fear the Walking Dead

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2019, 05:22:02 am »
The ending battle of episode 3 in The Mandalorian made me so happy.  I've always wanted to see Mandalorians kicking ass in live action and we finally got it.  I was originally a fan of Boba Fett as a kid, even if he doesn't actually do anything, it was a style thing (They did him so wrong...same for Phasma in the new movies.  A character that could be so good that they waste, but still looks cool), and he was always more interesting outside the movies in books and other media, so I've always wanted to see more done with them.  It's really reinvigorating my Mandalorian love and now I'm like "I gotta get me some Mandalorian toys" lol

Episode 4 has only extra confirmed that Baby Yoda is precious and embodies all that is good in this world.  As for the episode, it's totally fine.  A slower episode makes sense after the last one and I like the chill world building it does and it's still a good episode.  I always love a classic "Help the villagers fight the threat" setup, though I wish they had explored why the raiders had an AT-ST.  They bring it up and then just sorta drop it.  Might not be important to the story, but it's just an interesting bit of lore to know.  Still really enjoying The Mandalorian. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 06:04:55 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2019, 11:02:30 pm »
The Mandalorian is just Lone Wolf and Cub in the Star Wars universe and I am so here for it.  The only real weakness of Chapter 4 is that the story is such a traditional archetype.

I also watched all the episodes of The World According to Jeff Goldblum which is fun.

Also rewatched most of Season Two of Parks and Recreation because it was what the gf’s family decided to put on TV while I’m still out of town.

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2019, 04:53:52 am »
Chapter 5 of The Mandalorian was another light episode like the last one, but the setting is cool for this one due to the nostalgia. Wish they had done more with it, but again I thought it was fine like 4 was and definitely still fitting that classic western theme.  Hopefully the last episodes of the season are just going all out.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:59:38 am by kamikazekeeg »