Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59844 times)

gngtiger

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #315 on: July 15, 2022, 02:36:10 am »
I'm enjoying Ms. Marvel a ton so far (even only a couple of episodes in). It reminds me a ton of Spider-Verse and I dig that. It's shaping up to be the best Marvel Disney+ series thus far.

Further elaboration on that, I think the show had a lot of wasted potential, and it kind of fell of the rails with the introduction of the clandestines (with the weakest episode being the fifth). It deserved to be so much better, but I think it's a 7/10 as is.

« Reply #316 on: July 15, 2022, 04:12:01 am »
Resident Evil (2022 Series) - So yeah, once again they failed with Resident Evil.  Not as bad as what I've heard the reboot movie they just did, or most of those awful RE movies they did before, but this is a bad Resident Evil series.  It's at least vaguely based on game lore (Racoon City, Wesker having died in Resident Evil 5, that sorta stuff), but it's a completely different timeline sort of story where the apocalypse happens and wipes out most of the world. 

I'm not gonna front and say "Oh, how dare they treat the true gold that is Resident Evil like this!", Resident Evil as a series is the dumbest possible shlock, but in the best way possible.  It's cheesy, over the top, it's ridiculous.  This tv series is just boring and standard.   It's writing can be clunky and it jumps between timelines where it's set a decade and a half after the apocalypse, and then right before the apocalypse, but most stuff before the apocalypse is really boring.  I was skipping a lot of this show, especially I think Episode 5 with them futzing around in the house for most of the episode.  The vague teen and family drama stuff never really worked.  The show is better whenever it's in the post-apocalypse and there's zombies and bio weapons, it's fine.  Like there's giant mutant creatures and the Lickers, they have a simple nod to Dr. Salvador that I thought was a tiny bit fun, but otherwise...This isn't anything great. 

It's a bog standard zombie show, like a 5/10 at best, worse if we look at it as Resident Evil,  I'd pass on it.  I think this is the same company that did all the previous Resident Evil stuff and they need to go away.  The movies sucked, the reboot sucked, Monster Hunter sucked, this sucks.  There's a tiny chance they make the second season better, no teen drama stuff, but it's still not good Resident Evil, no one wants this from a Resident Evil tv series.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 05:28:25 am by kamikazekeeg »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2022, 11:28:03 am »
Resident Evil (2022 Series) - So yeah, once again they failed with Resident Evil.  Not as bad as what I've heard the reboot movie they just did, or most of those awful RE movies they did before, but this is a bad Resident Evil series.  It's at least vaguely based on game lore (Racoon City, Wesker having died in Resident Evil 5, that sorta stuff), but it's a completely different timeline sort of story where the apocalypse happens and wipes out most of the world. 

I'm not gonna front and say "Oh, how dare they treat the true gold that is Resident Evil like this!", Resident Evil as a series is the dumbest possible shlock, but in the best way possible.  It's cheesy, over the top, it's ridiculous.  This tv series is just boring and standard.   It's writing can be clunky and it jumps between timelines where it's set a decade and a half after the apocalypse, and then right before the apocalypse, but most stuff before the apocalypse is really boring.  I was skipping a lot of this show, especially I think Episode 5 with them futzing around in the house for most of the episode.  The vague teen and family drama stuff never really worked.  The show is better whenever it's in the post-apocalypse and there's zombies and bio weapons, it's fine.  Like there's giant mutant creatures and the Lickers, they have a simple nod to Dr. Salvador that I thought was a tiny bit fun, but otherwise...This isn't anything great. 

It's a bog standard zombie show, like a 5/10 at best, worse if we look at it as Resident Evil,  I'd pass on it.  I think this is the same company that did all the previous Resident Evil stuff and they need to go away.  The movies sucked, the reboot sucked, Monster Hunter sucked, this sucks.  There's a tiny chance they make the second season better, no teen drama stuff, but it's still not good Resident Evil, no one wants this from a Resident Evil tv series.

The last movie was awesome. People complain about Resident Evil media not being true to the game. That movie was and they still complained. It followed the story of the first two games very well. And it was gory and scary, not an action-fest like Milla Jocovich ones were. The only valid complaint I heard was that Leon was Hispanic when he should have been White...and that's a small thing to be upset about! Sometimes I feel like people are just ready to bitch about anything.

« Reply #318 on: July 15, 2022, 02:54:49 pm »
The last movie was awesome. People complain about Resident Evil media not being true to the game. That movie was and they still complained. It followed the story of the first two games very well. And it was gory and scary, not an action-fest like Milla Jocovich ones were. The only valid complaint I heard was that Leon was Hispanic when he should have been White...and that's a small thing to be upset about! Sometimes I feel like people are just ready to bitch about anything.

I haven't seen the reboot film, I heard nothing good about it from anyone, so it would be more fair for me to cut that part out.  It being based on the games is nice at least, no more "The Adventures of my cool, original character, wife, Alice", but I thought it was kind of a bad idea to make the movie about the first two games in one go and the trailer made it look pretty bad.  Plus it's the same production company as all the other Resident Evil stuff, and they don't make good stuff.  Maybe I'll give it a shot to just see, I don't know, the series really had me frustrated last night, especially after going through other Capcom media in the past year or so that was awful like the Monster Hunter movie, and that stupid CG Infinite Darkness "series", that wasn't actually a tv show, but an unfinished movie they hacked up into 4 episodes for some random reason.

Well, I was gonna try to watch Welcome to Raccoon City, but it's not available on a streaming platform I have and I'm not really interested in picking up Starz just to watch it.  Whenever it comes to Amazon, I guess I'll give it a watch.

« Reply #319 on: July 17, 2022, 06:54:27 am »
Arcane - Finally got around to this after hearing so much good stuff and it absolutely lived up to it.  Incredible animation and style, great story, I barely wanted to stop watching it.  I don't know anything about League of Legends lore, I played it casually back in the day when it was first out, I like plenty of the character designs, but this world they've built up is great.  Really can't say anything more about it, it was just a real damn good watch and I can't wait for more.

« Reply #320 on: July 18, 2022, 01:39:53 am »
Ms. Marvel - I didn't really care for this one.  The change in her powers never felt right and while they justify it in story enough with a whole new background, I'm never gonna like it.  I grew to really like her in the Avengers game, the one really good thing about that game, but I don't have the same enjoyment of her in this.

I think the problem I have with the show is that the there is so much time spent on teen drama and cultural heritage stuff, that's like most of the show, and when we do get super hero stuff, it's just okay at best.  It doesn't help there are definite times when the special effects begin to look rough, which we are learning lately has to do with Marvel basically sabotaging their own productions, which is pretty unfortunate.

It's not terrible, it at least pops and has its own style which is something, but this goes on the lower end of the tv shows for me.  Hawkeye is still at the bottom of my list, I'd probably put this above that, which is below Moon Knight and Falcon/Winter Soldier.  She-Hulk is up next, so hopefully that's good.

« Reply #321 on: July 18, 2022, 09:57:44 am »
The second season of Ozark is really good.  Laura Linney owns pretty much every episode.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #322 on: July 18, 2022, 11:14:48 am »
I've been liking Resident Evil (2022 Netflix), so far, haven't finished it yet. Good zombie show. Doesn't follow the games at all, as it takes place years later, but it does reference them.

It has very cool zombie make-up, reminds me of the likes of Walking Dead zombies. Top-notch gore effects.

I am intrigued about the mystery of Albert Wesker. They mention he died in 2009 (reference to the Resident Evil 5 game), but he's alive with daughters here.

And is the Barry from Umbrella supposed to be THAT Barry? He does mention he's the master of lock picking. Except he seems like a bad guy, and works for Umbrella. Barry wouldn't work for Umbrella.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 05:27:40 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #323 on: July 18, 2022, 04:41:24 pm »
I've been liking Resident Evil (2022 Netflix), so far, haven't finished it yet. Good zombie show. Doesn't follow the games at all, as it takes place years later, but it does reference them.

It has very cool zombie make-up, reminds me of the likes of Walking Dead zombies. Top-notch gore effects.

I am intrigued about the mystery of Albert Wesker. They mention he died in 2009 (reference to the Resident Evil 6 game), but he's alive with daughters here.

And is the Barry from Umbrella supposed to be THAT Barry? He does mention he's the master of lock picking. Except he seems like a bad guy, and works for Umbrella. Barry wouldn't work for Umbrella.

I won't spoil anything, other than it's not THAT Barry.  THAT Barry would be like 70 in this time frame lol

« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2022, 10:55:57 am »
The third season of Ozark is easily the best one some so far. Emotionally intense and mostly great storylines - except for one kinda bad one.

Season 4 kinda reverts back to the looser storytelling beats (and some big plot holes), but it goes for some big moments and cycles back to some beats and plot elements  of early seasons, which mostly works.  The finale is not great, though.  Weirdly melodramatic, and Wendy acts like a totally different character.

Season 3 of Wellington Paranormal is easily my overall favorite so far.  The first two had episodes I liked here and there, but this one is good from top to bottom.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 07:22:53 pm by Cartagia »

brothertuc

« Reply #325 on: August 02, 2022, 08:15:39 pm »
Started watching Chuck from scratch. 
I love that show :p

« Reply #326 on: August 03, 2022, 04:18:45 am »
Peaky Blinders - Finished the series and overall, I like it.  It's a good period gangster drama with some fun flair to the music they put throughout the series.  That said, there are a number of times where I feel like the story is kinda losing itself, maybe that's just me, but it's like they introduce something more into an already involved drama, and they spend a lot of time with it, and I'm just like...Hey, wasn't this season about something else?  It kinda does that for a lot of the series, but just when I might lose interest or feel like it's dragging, it pulls itself back with a good final episode or bit of story that I enjoy. 

The last season was a mixed bag, I liked a decent bit of it, but one character gets sidelined for a lot of it, another is added, and it feels kinda off, I'm curious if losing the actress for Polly really messed up the story for it.  It was still a good watch though.  I can see some folks complaining about how the stories resolve themselves,  plot armor going on for folks, particularly Thomas, but I still liked it.  Cillian Murphy is great in the role.  Definitely looking forward to the movie coming up to finish this main story off.  Apparently some spin-off stuff will be happening, during some interesting timeframes (World War 2, which is fitting being that this series started off at the end of World War 1).

Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 - A decent documentary about the disaster that was Woodstock 99.  Just crazy to see how bad it went, a pretty serious management disaster leading to a whole bunch of tired, pissed off, drugged up, idiots causing a riot.  Pretty crazy.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 05:54:06 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #327 on: August 19, 2022, 08:47:42 pm »
I'm watching Space: Above and Beyond, and man, talk about a showing being 5 years too early. All I see is potential. Slap together a modern 10 episode season with this as the frame work?  You got yourself a stew goin.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #328 on: August 19, 2022, 09:42:13 pm »
I'm watching Space: Above and Beyond, and man, talk about a showing being 5 years too early. All I see is potential. Slap together a modern 10 episode season with this as the frame work?  You got yourself a stew goin.

I recently came across the DVD set of this for dirt cheap and picked it up. I haven't watch it, yet.

« Reply #329 on: August 22, 2022, 10:39:40 am »

I recently came across the DVD set of this for dirt cheap and picked it up. I haven't watch it, yet.

It definitely shows its age, and the first 5-6 episodes are a little rough / boring, but it really picks up around episode 7 or 8 and has a couple of legitimately great episodes in the back half.

Watched the 7 available episodes of Tuca & Bertie season 3.  Still weird, bizarre, hilarious, and surprisingly deep.

Ms. Marvel is pretty fun, and maybe my favorite MCU show since WandaVision.  The finale stumbles a little, but it has a more uniform thesis and vibe than most the other shows.

Watched Season 3 of Solar Opposites.  It isn't as overtly clever oe intricate as Rick & Morty, but it still has the same sense if humor, just with a bit more of, for lack of better term, wholesomeness.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 10:52:05 pm by Cartagia »