Author Topic: genre and sub-genre  (Read 10865 times)

scott

Re: genre and sub-genre
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 05:55:52 pm »
@escalein Added Strategy/ Tactics to the RPG sub-genres. Hopefully we can get this feature rolling soon.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 04:52:19 pm »
Looking forward to this feature!  I've been having difficulties lately when adding titles like Chocobo Tales (card game/platformer/minigames/RPG) or Catherine (puzzle/survival horror/adventure).

Will we just be limited to one genre then a related sub-genre?  Or will we be able to add more than one genre?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 05:12:02 pm »
We really need to get this going soon. We are pushing 18,000 games now. That's a lot of re-edits to get things set to the new system. I think the plan is to have a main genre and a sub-genre. Then again, I'm not sure we've hammered any of this out. :\

madmax

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 11:29:09 pm »
i think @matt went MIA

scott

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 08:50:28 am »
i think @matt went MIA

It still Summer, he tends to vanish on the weekends. ha

matt

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 04:16:19 pm »
peak-a-boo!

desocietas

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 05:22:13 pm »
peak-a-boo!

Ha, but it's not the weekend any more!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

matt

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 01:25:27 pm »
Valid point! ha. I'll actually be gone all this weekend too. *sigh*

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 02:45:07 pm »
I think a Genre and sub-genre may be enough. I mean I understand some games may fall into multiple categories, but I also understand that a database can get confusing to create with games nowadays falling under Fighting/Puzzle/RPG/Racing/Simulation. And you may be thinking o.O, but no, Japanese games are infamous for that at times, just as they do with their music genres. I mean that's just my opinion, to not keep it too simple, but never too complex.

tpugmire

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 04:56:14 pm »
I agree.  The system needs to be as idiot proof as possible.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 06:51:22 pm »
I also agree, some games are getting a little carried away with the genres. As long as we have a way of grouping things as close as we can, simply, that's the main thing. That way we'll have better results come Advance Search time.

tpugmire

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 04:32:50 pm »
Looking over the list again, and have a couple questions/thoughts.

What is the difference between Shooters and Shoot em Up?   Seems like overkill to have both.  Maybe merge them into a new category called "Shooting" or something.

And speaking of shooting type games, how about a "Hunting" subcategory?

I think "Art" should be its own category, not a sub under "Other", unless more is added to "Other".  Having only one subcategory seems silly.

Not sure if the idea got scrapped or just forgotten, but "Pachinko" never got added to "Arcade".

Just want to get this in shape before it gets implemented.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 04:40:05 pm »
I didn't even notice that 1st and 3rd Person games were listed in the shoot 'em up list. We should prolly merge them into one listing.

When I listed Art as Other it was more of an "in case". Like, in case we thought of some other random genre that didn't really fit anywhere else.

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 04:15:16 pm »
RE:@ tpugmire
Shooters should be both 1st and 3rd person shooting games [Gears of War, Call of Duty, Doom]. Also, Arcade style "Rail" shooters should be included in this genre [Time Crisis, Virtua Cop, Lethal Enforcers].

Shoot 'em ups, also known by shumps in gaming sites and forums, are formerly known as "side-scrolling shooters" and "top-down shooters" are the games that usually involve some kind of ship flying around and shooting at things on the screen. [Gradius, R-Type, Warning Forever, Super Stardust HD]. The debate is whether 3rd person flying games such as Star Fox be considered a Shoot Em' Up. It would most likely be the case as it is called a "Scrolling Shooter" in the US and Japan, and a "Rail Shooter" in Europe.

Unfortunately a lot of sites, and consoles no longer use the genre Shoot 'em up, and the classify those games under Arcade. Just one more reason why we should have that one sub-genre.

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 03:02:22 pm »
I second jonathonstriker description the shoot 'em up genre, after finding Gears of War 3 [NA] described as such. Ikaruga it ain't. I only checked, because I thought I should be consistent whilst entering the PAL [EU] details for the copy of GOW3 I own.

In general, genre / sub-genre would help, or alternatively tagging games using multiple genres. Red Dead Redemption has elements of Open World, third person shooting with adventure elements (emphasis on story, traveling, backtracking, talking to people, completing quests etc.)

Keep up the good work.