Author Topic: Dangerous Console Video Games We Have Encountered  (Read 3535 times)

Dangerous Console Video Games We Have Encountered
« on: September 29, 2019, 04:55:05 pm »
I was just reading a post done by @emporerdragon,

Quote from: @emporerdragon in late 2016
I left the post out because this was only mentioned once as I was reading
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,7758.msg127741.html#msg127741

where he/she said in the middle of a post that  A Pirates Of The Caribbean demo disc for the Xbox 360 automatically formatted the consoles hard drive, and it made me a little concerned if their are other games that we can or have picked up that will actually break our gaming equipment.

Sorry to bring this up if you're reading this @Emporerdragon but I am just curious as to exactly what you found and if anyone else knows anything about this dangerous console disc. or others like this one

I do already know that this one PS2 demo disc erases the memory card but I don't remember which one

Viewtiful Joe 2 demo for the PlayStation 2 I don't have this disc myself

https://vgcollect.com/item/30101

22 people on site currently have this and it's even on someones wishlist
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:04:42 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Dangerous Console Video Games We Have Encountered
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 09:57:26 pm »
Make that 23- didn't realize my copy wasn't listed!

I keep hoping to do an experiment with that disc- see, it doesn't just erase your memory card. It forcibly reformats it! So, I've always wondered- sometimes memory cards pick up blocks of corrupted data that can't be deleted (had to return a secondhand one for that reason once.) Can you remove those by using this disc to reformat the card? Trick is, I can't find a corrupt card to try with! If anybody's got one, let me know?

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 11:29:02 pm »
I forgot about this.. I'd like to know more.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 03:36:42 am »
That disc was specifically designed for store retail display demo consoles.

These guys:

As these were free-standing devices that couldn't connect to the internet, updates had to be sent out via demo discs, which installed them on the machine. Since they were designed to only be used for retail displays, the update would put several limiters on the system (notably disabling the xbox guide button) to prevent customers from tampering with them, which they would if given the chance (For a colloquial example, where I worked, before the 360 kiosk, we had one for the original Xbox, in which we just had a full copy of Battlefront II in as we had no good demo discs anymore. Longest that game went without someone wiping the data or making an offensive profile was 2 days.).
Once installed, the only way to turn a retail 360 back into a regular 360 was to do a complete reformat.

These would be the two 360 kiosk discs I have:

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 08:30:13 am »
Make that 23- didn't realize my copy wasn't listed!

I keep hoping to do an experiment with that disc- see, it doesn't just erase your memory card. It forcibly reformats it! So, I've always wondered- sometimes memory cards pick up blocks of corrupted data that can't be deleted (had to return a secondhand one for that reason once.) Can you remove those by using this disc to reformat the card? Trick is, I can't find a corrupt card to try with! If anybody's got one, let me know?
I do and I have this, I've been meaning to get around to it.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 04:31:59 pm »
Probably not the case anymore but there was a big stink earlier this year about Anthem forcing PS4 shutdowns where the system could only be restarted in safe mode (often requiring a rebuild of the hard drive). PC users were also claiming, and in the subreddit still claiming that the game runs their CPUs at 100% for the duration of the play session, which of course has the potential to damage components. That's all I can think of... (creeps into hole after admitting to playing and following Anthem).

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 11:46:28 pm »
I was just reading a post done by @emporerdragon,

Quote from: @emporerdragon in late 2016
I left the post out because this was only mentioned once as I was reading
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,7758.msg127741.html#msg127741

where he/she said in the middle of a post that  A Pirates Of The Caribbean demo disc for the Xbox 360 automatically formatted the consoles hard drive, and it made me a little concerned if their are other games that we can or have picked up that will actually break our gaming equipment.

Sorry to bring this up if you're reading this @Emporerdragon but I am just curious as to exactly what you found and if anyone else knows anything about this dangerous console disc. or others like this one

I do already know that this one PS2 demo disc erases the memory card but I don't remember which one

Viewtiful Joe 2 demo for the PlayStation 2 I don't have this disc myself

https://vgcollect.com/item/30101

22 people on site currently have this and it's even on someones wishlist

Youre correct on the demo disc but there was never a VJ2 demo disc on its own. The disc in question was the Playstation Holiday 2004 demo disc which has VJ2 which erases your memory card when played due to an oversight on the developers when dropping this demo. I have that disc myself and lets just say I take out the memory cards  when I did try it out.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 02:01:58 am »
Super Mario Land for the original GameBoy made me squint so hard as a kid that I nearly went blind.

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 08:47:11 pm »
The original black label version of Jak X: Combat Racing has a programming glitch that corrupts your PS2 memory card, effectively rendering it useless. It happens during autosaving, so the workaround would be to simply take the memory card out and play without it, returning to the menu screen with the memory card reinserted and saving manually from there. The greatest hits version fixed this glitch.

There’s also the MissingNo. glitch in Pokémon Red and Blue where you would follow a series of steps to make MissingNo. appear in order to duplicate your items. This was awesome for many reasons, and while the Game Boy would not suffer any harm, those who abused the trick (or simply put, were careless) would end up having their games royally corrupted to the point they could no longer save. I'm guilty of being careless, but I learned.

Super Mario Land for the original GameBoy made me squint so hard as a kid that I nearly went blind.

Tell me about it. It's funny 'cause it's true.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 10:13:53 pm »

I nearly went blind when I was a teenager for a completely different reason.

pzeke

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 11:19:51 pm »

I nearly went blind when I was a teenager for a completely different reason.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 05:44:07 pm »
So i finally got around to giving the holiday 2004 demo a try... it doesnt have a demo for viewtiful joe 2. 

Gonna have to rebuy it and find the one that has the right games.  This would explain the duplicate listing on the site way back when.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:47:46 pm by ignition365 »

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 06:37:43 pm »
So i finally got around to giving the holiday 2004 demo a try... it doesnt have a demo for viewtiful joe 2. 

Gonna have to rebuy it and find the one that has the right games.  This would explain the duplicate listing on the site way back when.

Saw this and went to check my disc cause I could have sworn I have it but turns out its not the case. The issue being that the disc art for the two is exactly the same except there are different games from one another so at first glance they might as well be the same.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 06:41:49 pm »

Saw this and went to check my disc cause I could have sworn I have it but turns out its not the case. The issue being that the disc art for the two is exactly the same except there are different games from one another so at first glance they might as well be the same.
yup.  I just went and bought the right disc.  Ill add a listing to the site when i get it and modify the old one.

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 07:01:26 pm »
Demo arrived.  First PS2 wouldnt read it.  Second PS2 did.  Successfully formatted memory card with corrupted data