Author Topic: Our Classic/Mini Consoles Discussion  (Read 2667 times)

Our Classic/Mini Consoles Discussion
« on: November 02, 2019, 11:54:54 pm »
I just received a new flat screen tv yesterday

and about a few weeks or a month ago I received a PlayStation mini. I have not play them much yet because I just got the required television yesterday. I now have both an NES Classic/Mini and a PlayStation 1 Classic/Mini, I need to play them again, but when I first hooked them both up. both the NES and PS1 mini had a little lag, and I was using the default HDMI connection and nothing else.

I thought we could start a discussion on here, many Youtubers are downing the PS1 mini I can't make a final judgement on either of mine because I just started to play them yesterday, the NES classic comes with 30 built in games and the PlayStation 1 comes with 20 games built in
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Our Classic/Mini Consoles Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 01:09:27 am »
NES Classic-Great
SNES Classic=Super Great
Playstation Classic-Trash

I dont know about the others as those are the only 3 I own

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 05:41:27 am »
free emulation > every mini console ever

Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 06:52:23 am »
I just received a new flat screen tv yesterday
Gratz on the new TV!

thought we could start a discussion on here, many Youtubers are downing the PS1 mini I can't make a final judgement on either of mine because I just started to play them yesterday, the NES classic comes with 30 built in games and the PlayStation 1 comes with 20 games built in

The PS Mini issues don't really stem from the gameplay of the chosen games, its a combination of the following:

Poor game selection.  Every choice was pretty much made based solely on name recognition, with no consideration given to whether it was the "best" game from a franchise to choose.  In addition there are some pretty big omissions, likely made because Sony didn't want to hurt the sales on some of the modern remakes of those same games . franchises.

Poor overall design and user experience.  This thing was rushed out the door and it shows.  Poor UI, not a super great product build, etc.

Mediocre emulation.

And this one is just opinion from me: the games from that generation have, in general, not aged very well.

Granted, I feel that a lot of these issues are mitigated by the current price point of $20-30, instead of being priced at the original $100.

pzeke

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 10:19:50 am »
And don't forget that some of the games they chose to include are European, which run at 50Hz. Also, when hackers did their thing, they found a list of games that were tested and, in essence, could have potentially been included. You can find the list here.

Granted, I feel that a lot of these issues are mitigated by the current price point of $20-30, instead of being priced at the original $100.

The Walmart I frequent ended up taking their whole PS1 Classic inventory out and priced it on clearance for $15. I was told that in less than an hour they were all gone.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 11:06:45 am »
And don't forget that some of the games they chose to include are European, which run at 50Hz. Also, when hackers did their thing, they found a list of games that were tested and, in essence, could have potentially been included. You can find the list here.

The Walmart I frequent ended up taking their whole PS1 Classic inventory out and priced it on clearance for $15. I was told that in less than an hour they were all gone.

Never have I felt more violated than when I tried Tekken 3 at 50hz. It felt sooo wrong.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 11:50:25 am »
● So far I like the Genesis Mini the best, it's given me a new lease on the Genesis library. The only downside is the wonky scaling of 256 pixel-wide games.
● The Intellivision Flashback is a great device that plays the games in their original resolution with authentic feeling controllers, I've gotten good use out of it.
● The SNES Classic is neat, but I'm not a huge fan of the flap on the front for the controllers. Great selection of games and great scaling.
● The NES Classic is all right. Great selection of games, but the scaling is awful unless you use the pixel perfect mode. I'd rather just use my AVS with interpolation turned on.
● The Sega Genesis Flashback has some merits, like being able to use original controllers and carts but the emulation is subpar.
● I haven't played my PlayStation Classic yet, but I've got an inkling it won't be as bad as people say.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 02:45:44 pm »
NES Classic-Great
SNES Classic=Super Great
Playstation Classic-Trash

I dont know about the others as those are the only 3 I own

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 04:38:41 pm »

Never have I felt more violated than when I tried Tekken 3 at 50hz. It felt sooo wrong.

I played some Tekken 3 on the PlayStation 1 classic. and so far it's my favorite game on it. However Twisted Metal will take me some time to grasp it's clunky controls. It will take me some time to get used to it's gameplay. I remember playing Twisted Metal 1 on the PlayStation 2 and beating it, I'm not sure if it's just me or this game is really hard to play on the PlayStation Classic

I already played some Super Mario Bros 3 on my NES mini and noticed some lag but it's still playable
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 04:41:49 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 04:57:57 pm »

I played some Tekken 3 on the PlayStation 1 classic. and so far it's my favorite game on it. However Twisted Metal will take me some time to grasp it's clunky controls. It will take me some time to get used to it's gameplay. I remember playing Twisted Metal 1 on the PlayStation 2 and beating it, I'm not sure if it's just me or this game is really hard to play on the PlayStation Classic

I already played some Super Mario Bros 3 on my NES mini and noticed some lag but it's still playable

if you have played tekken 3 in the past and knew the moves by hearts yea sure 50HZ will throw you off

But if you havent really played tekken 3 allot or grew up with 50HZ the difference isn't that big of a deal
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 03:42:44 am »
The Graphics of 2 of the games I've played so far on the PS1 Classic/Mini:

Tekken 3 has great HD graphics on the PlayStation Classic/Mini but

The Game of "Ridge Racer Type 4's" graphics on the PlayStation 1 Mini look vary bad. If you want better graphics you have better luck playing Ridge Racer Type 4 on an Original or official PlayStation 1 or Any PlayStation 2 or any PlayStation 3 for that matter. and A 1990's CRT television

SONY I don't think ever bothered to upscale the graphics from their original form on Ridge Racer Type 4
for the PlayStation 1.

But in-spite of the graphics RRT4 seems to be a decent racing game on the PS1 mini console, but I never played this game on actual hardware before.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:49:18 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 02:10:05 pm »
SNES Mini: Absolutely the best mini console. Star Fox 2 was the cherry on top.

Mega Drive Mini (Japan): Has lots of rare games that this machine preserves. Also, the PAL versions of Landstalker are 60hz on this machine.

NES Mini: Lineup while solid should have had Dracula's Curse instead of Simon's Quest

PS Mini: Haven't opened this one yet

kashell

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 03:53:45 pm »
My favorite of the three I own is the Genesis Mini. Most of the games are new to me, so I'm happy to experience them for a first time.

The Super Nintendo Mini is great because it has so many favorites/classics.

The NES Mini hasn't been opened yet, haha.

pzeke

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 04:02:03 pm »
My favorite of the three I own is the Genesis Mini. Most of the games are new to me, so I'm happy to experience them for a first time.

The Super Nintendo Mini is great because it has so many favorites/classics.

The NES Mini hasn't been opened yet, haha.

I beat you all; I haven't opened either of the three.

I'm eager to get a Sega Genesis Mini; I'm quite confident Walmart will be dropping the price for it soon. And there's Black Friday approaching, too.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

ferraroso

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 05:04:41 am »
I love these mini consoles!
Currently, I own:
- Famicom Classic Mini
- Famicom Classic Mini: Weekly Shonen Jump 50th Anniversary Version
- Super Famicom Classic Mini
- Mega Drive Mini
- PlayStation Classic
- Neo Geo Mini
And I have the TurboGrafx-16 Mini pre-ordered.

If not for the crappy controller, the Neo Geo Mini would be my favorite one, but because of that I'll have to stick with the Mega Drive Mini. It is the console I've been playing the most overall in the last couple of months.
I have high hopes on the TurboGrafx-16 Mini though...