Author Topic: Error Listings and rejected edits 2021  (Read 67074 times)

tripredacus

Re: Error Listings and rejected edits 2021
« Reply #480 on: February 18, 2021, 11:28:25 am »
Wouldn't the rating just be updated to the final rating along with the rest of the information in the listing when the game releases?

I don't really see how being physical makes a difference. The case isn't being rated, the game data is. Seems like it would make the most sense to keep everything in the listing up to date as possible.

What instance would the RP rating be used? On digital items only?

First I want to point out that I did the reject to initiate a discussion about it.

The rating should be updated but it is usually not. I am talking about all the users who make items in the db. Most do not revisit an item they made, or owned, in order to update the information. So for a physical release that has an entry made before the physical release actually exists, this results in an entry for a physical item with the wrong rating. Because the person who made or edited the entry originally to put RP onto it, did not change the rating once the thing actually came into being. It is preferable to not have a rating on an item than to have the incorrect rating.

Entries in the physical game categories are not actually for games, they are for products. For these items, the ratings drop down should only be used if a rating is printed on the physical item itself. If you wanted to note that the game data has a rating when the packaging/media does not, or that it has a different rating than what is represented, that type of information can be put into the description. Even in that scenario, ESRB RP would not be allowed into description because the physical release does not exist, thus it cannot include game data. So we aren't concerned with what is actually being rated, only if a rating exists on the item, then we set that rating in the drop-down. And then this also means you can set ratings for this like strategy guides or anything else that have a rating on them, even thought we know the book isn't rated, but they are advertising the rating for the game the book is based on.

For entries for physical items, ESRB RP should only be set for items that have an ESRB RP printed on the case or media. Usually you only see these on demos or betas. For entries of digital games, ESRB RP can be set for any digital game on a platform that shows that rating. But the same logic should apply here as well. If that digital game gets released and the rating is different, then why bother setting the ESRB RP rating on it in the first place? Why are we bothering to input data into our database that we know is going to be incorrect in the future?

So this comes down to two things:
1. We do not really care what is rated. If the thing has a rating on it: put it on the entry. If it doesn't, don't put anything.
2. We currently allow for people to make entries for things that do not exist, but are planned to exist. We allow the use of pre-release mockups for images if that is the only image that can be found.
3. We are not creating entries for mockup photos. Whatever rating is present on the mockup is irrelevant. It is only there until a better picture is made available.
4. We should not put information onto an entry that we know is or will be incorrect.

« Reply #481 on: February 18, 2021, 08:45:27 pm »
Wouldn't the rating just be updated to the final rating along with the rest of the information in the listing when the game releases?

I don't really see how being physical makes a difference. The case isn't being rated, the game data is. Seems like it would make the most sense to keep everything in the listing up to date as possible.

What instance would the RP rating be used? On digital items only?

First I want to point out that I did the reject to initiate a discussion about it.

The rating should be updated but it is usually not. I am talking about all the users who make items in the db. Most do not revisit an item they made, or owned, in order to update the information. So for a physical release that has an entry made before the physical release actually exists, this results in an entry for a physical item with the wrong rating. Because the person who made or edited the entry originally to put RP onto it, did not change the rating once the thing actually came into being. It is preferable to not have a rating on an item than to have the incorrect rating.

Entries in the physical game categories are not actually for games, they are for products. For these items, the ratings drop down should only be used if a rating is printed on the physical item itself. If you wanted to note that the game data has a rating when the packaging/media does not, or that it has a different rating than what is represented, that type of information can be put into the description. Even in that scenario, ESRB RP would not be allowed into description because the physical release does not exist, thus it cannot include game data. So we aren't concerned with what is actually being rated, only if a rating exists on the item, then we set that rating in the drop-down. And then this also means you can set ratings for this like strategy guides or anything else that have a rating on them, even thought we know the book isn't rated, but they are advertising the rating for the game the book is based on.

For entries for physical items, ESRB RP should only be set for items that have an ESRB RP printed on the case or media. Usually you only see these on demos or betas. For entries of digital games, ESRB RP can be set for any digital game on a platform that shows that rating. But the same logic should apply here as well. If that digital game gets released and the rating is different, then why bother setting the ESRB RP rating on it in the first place? Why are we bothering to input data into our database that we know is going to be incorrect in the future?

So this comes down to two things:
1. We do not really care what is rated. If the thing has a rating on it: put it on the entry. If it doesn't, don't put anything.
2. We currently allow for people to make entries for things that do not exist, but are planned to exist. We allow the use of pre-release mockups for images if that is the only image that can be found.
3. We are not creating entries for mockup photos. Whatever rating is present on the mockup is irrelevant. It is only there until a better picture is made available.
4. We should not put information onto an entry that we know is or will be incorrect.
Still doesn't make much sense. With your fourth point the release type category is frequently changed from Official Release (Upcoming) to Official Release and is much more noticeable than the rating is yet still many entries aren't updated to reflect the change in release type.

I'll just stop using RP though.

« Reply #482 on: February 26, 2021, 10:12:30 am »
Sine Mora Ex:
https://vgcollect.com/item/195878

This does not exist on the epic games store as far as I can tell. I am in the US so if it is on the store in another country then maybe. But I kinda doubt it.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:16:18 pm by tripredacus »

« Reply #483 on: February 26, 2021, 10:33:26 am »
Two versions of Switch The Mummy Demastered. Both deserve a description in the title like all other LRG releases available direct and BB. Editing existing one rejected. Suggest fixing.

https://www.vgcollect.com/item/195779

https://www.vgcollect.com/item/195231
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:19:37 pm by tripredacus »

tripredacus

« Reply #484 on: February 26, 2021, 12:19:26 pm »
Two versions of Switch The Mummy Demastered. Both deserve a description in the title like all other LRG releases available direct and BB. Editing existing one rejected. Suggest fixing.

https://www.vgcollect.com/item/195779

https://www.vgcollect.com/item/195231

Descriptor was rejected due to formatting (capitalisation of words not present on item).
Updated descriptor on 195779. Use that as a guide to submit the edit.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #485 on: March 05, 2021, 10:08:33 am »
I accidentally added this game to the European CD-i section while it should be in the Japanese CD-i section.
Could this be changed?

https://vgcollect.com/item/196395

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 10:47:13 am by tripredacus »
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

pzeke

« Reply #486 on: March 09, 2021, 02:18:56 am »
https://vgcollect.com/item/49821

The front image is actually from the manual, which seems to have been edited. Other than what appears to be a custom-made cover and one that's watermarked, I can't seem to find an image of the front cover, or at least not one in decent quality.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:23:24 am by tripredacus »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

tripredacus

« Reply #487 on: March 09, 2021, 09:23:54 am »
Art was replaced by vivigamer. Confirmed via Ebay.

pzeke

« Reply #488 on: March 09, 2021, 12:08:47 pm »
Cheers, vivi.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #489 on: March 09, 2021, 04:41:47 pm »
No probs! Seeing manuals as covers is a pet peeve of mine - Many PS1 Manuals just take the main cover on front but I can always tell the difference because the space for the hologram sticker isn't there, so it's something I look out for.

Usually go to Gamefaqs or Mobygames but neither had it, so luckily found one on eBay :)

telly

« Reply #490 on: March 11, 2021, 06:58:02 pm »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 09:45:45 am by tripredacus »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kevininja

« Reply #491 on: March 13, 2021, 08:05:40 am »
Escape from Tethys - Nintendo eShop (Switch) [EU]
https://vgcollect.com/item/189530

Can't find anything about an European release for this game, only the US.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:49:12 am by aliensstudios »

dhaabi

« Reply #492 on: March 13, 2021, 09:48:39 pm »
I'm curious as to why an original entry I had proposed edits for was deleted within the last three hours. Impara con Pokémon: Avventura Tra I Tasti is very much a real item. The entry was newly created by brand new user attila who has joined only just today.

tripredacus

« Reply #493 on: March 15, 2021, 10:58:21 am »
Unfortunately, we do not have a way to know if that entry was merged or deleted, or by who.

dhaabi

« Reply #494 on: March 15, 2021, 12:29:13 pm »
Based on the standard EU variant now being in attila's collection, I would assume that the entry was merged. As far as by who, activity times make that deduction fairly easy, but I'm not here to try to point fingers at anyone while instead just asking why it was merged to begin with. That this ordeal involved a perfectly acceptable entry created by a brand new user on their first day was bothersome to me is all.

Impara con Pokémon: Avventura Tra I Tasti