Author Topic: Game that Never Released that You Wish Had?  (Read 4451 times)

telekill

Game that Never Released that You Wish Had?
« on: January 05, 2020, 05:36:56 pm »
Hey all!

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm new here. I was a Sega kid back in the early 90's and I still have and really enjoy both my Genesis and Game Gear. I'm finishing up my Game Gear collection and looking over all released games for the handheld and there is one glaring omission that really gets me down sometimes. There was never a Ninja Turtles game for the Sega Game Gear. This was due to Konami having the rights to make the games and a deal between them and Nintendo that didn't stop until near the end of the lifespan of that generation. Thus, there was never a push to put a Turtles game on the less successful handheld.

Still.... the superior technology in the Game Gear always had me scratch my head and wonder what a Ninja Turtles game would have been like on the system. I'm currently in the middle of a project bringing a hypothetical Ninja Turtles game to life. My initial plan was to mod Streets of Rage 2 to have the Turtles in it similar to the Genesis mod of the same game. Due to encryption issues though, I had to let that idea pass me up. Instead, I'm doing everything from drawing 8bit screenshots to coming up with a story and creating an instruction manual for the hypothetical game. It's as close as I'm going to get I suppose. A fun project that's time consuming, but that's basically the only game I can think of that I wish had been created, but never was.

What about you guys? Do you have a favorite system from back in the day that simply never got a game that you were hoping for? Maybe it got a game but it didn't live up to the potential? What's your story?

stealthrush

Re: Game that Never Released that You Wish Had?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 07:05:11 pm »
Treasure's Gun Beat on Sega NAOMI arcade board

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Beat

I wish this was released, and ported to Sega Dreamcast. The gamplay reminds me of Bomberman Fantasy Race with Treasure's quirkiness.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 07:21:22 pm »
skies of arcadia 2

shame that that one got cancelled. that being said though maybe it's for the best. I've seen to many great series turn bad with them modern sequels not all stuff gets better not to mention with the current state of sega better to just forget about it I can't expect much from sega in the current day and age.

let's not forget Mark of the Wolves 2 that one is a shame aswell.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 07:28:20 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 07:42:39 pm »
Metroid Dread for the Nintendo DS.

It was set to return to its roots, being a sequel to Metroid Fusion. A true shame this never saw the light of day.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 08:53:47 pm »
The original E3 1998 build of Duke Nukem Forever.

This is kind of cheating since it did come out in Japan, but it's criminal Sin and Punishment for the N64 was never localized for the US. The game is literally all in english except the menus. it would have been insanely easy to bring it over here. It's one of the best N64 games.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 09:05:34 pm »
Lunar 3 for Sega CD (or playstation).  The 2 games are still my favorite jrpg stories and characters.  Sad the system died before we got the 3rd. (and then the game company that localized it went under a few years later!)

Full Throttle 2.  I think this one was still in development right up until LucasArts was closed down by Disney.  I don't know who could've replace Roy Conrad's gravelly voice for Ben.

Space Quest 7, Quest for Glory 6, King's Quest 9.  I miss classic Sierra.  (Space Quest 7 is still said to be a thing by the Two Guys, but I'm not very optimistic at this point.)

Wolf Among Us 2.  Eff you, guy that bankrupted Telltale.  Eff you so hard in the a-ay what do you mean it's coming after all?  Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!!!!

pzeke

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 09:41:23 pm »
This is kind of cheating since it did come out in Japan, but it's criminal Sin and Punishment for the N64 was never localized for the US. The game is literally all in english except the menus. it would have been insanely easy to bring it over here. It's one of the best N64 games.

Couldn't agree more. I don't regret importing it, but it definitely should have been released outside Japan.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 09:46:10 pm »
The original E3 1998 build of Duke Nukem Forever.

Yes  this I remember the preview game trailer. and I wanted it but it never came out, disappointed but during this time 3D Realms did create Duke Nukem Zero Hour for the N64 also Duke Nukem Time To Kill and Duke Nukem Land Of The Babes for PlayStation 1

BUT speaking of Duke Nukem 3D their was 3 rare sequels in the form of a Duke Nukem 3D addons.

1:Duke Nukem: Duke it out in DC
2: Duke Caribbean Life's A Beach
3: Duke Nukem: Nuclear Winter

Also I did download Duke Nukem Forever not the actual game but a mod someone made based off the Duke Nukem Forever game in 1998, you could even drive a motorcycle in that mod, it's free to download but, you'd have to find it on the internet somewhere. it might be on moddb's website

https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-forever

But I no longer download things off the internet
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:48:47 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 09:57:32 pm »
Star Wars 1313.  I bet it was even better than Fallen Order.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 11:36:34 pm »

Couldn't agree more. I don't regret importing it, but it definitely should have been released outside Japan.

Yeah, luckily getting import N64 games to work on a US N64 is super easy. I imported it as well, but playing it baffles me why they just didn't put the small extra effort into localizing it.

dreama1

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 03:40:09 am »
Would of wanted to see what the Atari Jaguar and 32x could of done if left on the market longer. Say 1996 onwards.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 07:27:21 am »
Scalebound is the only game I can think of that was cancelled.

So I guess that one but I wasn’t really bothered about playing it.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 08:07:02 am »

I sure as heck was! Scalebound was my planned reason to pick up an Xbox One. I had money saved up, I just waiting for it to come out to make sure that stupid shoehorned multiplayer didn't screw things up too much- but I guess it did, since they canned it.

I bought a Switch instead. If it weren't for a killer Amazon Prime Day deal, I doubt I'd have an Xbox One at all right now.

I was a bit sad when I learned about Fortress, the cancelled sequel to Final Fantasy 12, becuase it was set to star Basch, who is one of my all-time favorites (I have jokingly referred to him as 'my husbando' in the past). But considering it never got officially announced or even past the concept stages, it's hard to be too upset.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:13:15 am by hoshichiri »

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 08:24:47 am »
Fear Effect Inferno and Timesplitters 4.

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 08:36:51 am »

that would have been one heck of a xbox one exclusive wich it really needed

My guess is that platinum games went to hard on the development budget wich microsoft didnt like since according to interviews both sides had faults.

it might come back as a switch exclusive though as some might say.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:40:02 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!