Author Topic: What games would you consider objectively some of the greatest ever made?  (Read 6915 times)

telly

Re: What games would you consider objectively some of the greatest ever made?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 08:00:56 pm »
There is universal objective markers of good game design.

I mean, name one "objective marker" for me. Fluid controls? Responsive controls? Well crafted story? Who decides those things are fluid or responsive or well crafted? What game has an aspect of it that is universally loved by everyone? There is no such thing. What is fluid for one is clunky for another. What is well crafted for one is  boring for another. That is the definition of subjective.

I can concede that we can reach a broad consensus about what a good game consists of theoretically, that might be "objective". But we have different ideas about how to get there when actually looking at individual games, which makes it not a very useful claim in my opinion.

Yes, and this isn't an argument either? Talking as if you figured out what people have been debating for millenniums in about 5 minutes? What am I suppose to tell you?

Just because people don't agree with me dosen't mean that I'm right, or they're wrong. It has no bearing. That's why it's not an argument. But pointing out flaws in logic is an argument. And I ever said I had the answers to everything btw
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:22:58 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 08:21:56 pm »
Back on topic I forgot to mention (in my own opinion) I think that The Sims Series 1-3 on PC has the best music, gameplay but not the greatest story.

What makes this question so complicated is the fact that there is so many video games out there to choose from. and we all love multiple video games otherwise we would not be blogging about them.

2nd is already mentioned it is a matter of opinion and I already know for a fact their are people who both love and there are others who currently can't stand The Sims Series 1-3 on PC, Metal Jesus Rocks/Jason on YouTube Being one, who cannot stand the sims series. I know because I actually talked to this YouTuber in a private forum before. but that was years ago.

3rd is that opinions also change over time, art is in the eye of the beholder (not my own quote)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:36:10 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Warmsignal

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 09:08:24 pm »
Action 52 is a well documented case of exceptionally poor game programming and marketing by a small company that was in over it's head with grandiose ideas. Still, there are people who love punishing themselves with jank. Maybe Action 52 is the greatest game of all time then?

If the greatest game of all time is defined as one that is the opposite of janky, then we first must agree on what that entails. It's kind of difficult, because games don't all require the same control schemes. How do we decide which controls are ideal for an 8-bit racing game? What about a stealth/action game? What's the ideal jump button? A, B, or up on the directional pad? How do we really know which one is the best for all players? Does length of the player's finger play a role in ease of control? Should they use the NES Max instead? Etc, etc.

telly

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 09:29:32 pm »
That's what I got caught up with. I couldn't even determine what genre an objectively good game might look like. Not everyone likes platformers or FPSs or RPGs, etc.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

stealthrush

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 09:42:09 pm »
Storyline:

Grandia
Xenogears
Valkyrie Profile

Music:

Ys Book I and II
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
Tengai Makyō II: Manji Maru

Artistic Merit:

Panzer Dragoon
Nights into Dreams...
Kirby's Dream Land 3

Gameplay:

Gradius
Puyo Puyo
Bomberman

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver
Skyrim
GTA V
Super Mario 64
Bioshock
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Bros 3

kypherion

Just in general some that came to mind are FF7, Chrono Trigger, Pokemon at least for how far the franchise has come (up until gen 6 i guess), Devil May Cry, Halo, Legend of Zelda

DOOM literally rocked the fucking FPS genre so much that games that came out after DOOM (1993) were called Doom Clones. That and Doom II are literally like the most modded games ever made. The soundtrack, gameplay, and legacy rock. That and the original game has been ported to pretty much every device known to man with a compiler in it. check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/itrunsdoom/

I've heard the Last of Us is really really good.

Tetris is like DOOM in being made for literally everything and I think it's the most sold game of all time, or second most sold. The Tetris Type A theme is iconic and everybody and their mother's dog knows about Tetris.

Minecraft as it's either up there or right behind tetris in sales. So many mods (Maybe more than Doom IDK). Probably the best sandbox game made ever IMO.

Not really a popular choice but IMO Devil May Cry 1's difficulty is probably one of the best designed in terms of how normal prepares you for hard and how hard mode prepares you for Dante Must Die. You can win every battle without ever taking a hit even on DMD because it's designed that way and also the soundtrack rocks.

Mortal Kombat is probably one of the best fighting games ever made (that or the Street Fighter series). Super Smash Bros. Melee is probably the best fighting game conceived in terms of the mastery and movement of that game. Some top players get near Starcraft II levels of APM (actions per minute). The way that game has been analyzed and optimized is incredible.

Sonic and Mario have it pretty tied for platforming (retro formula sonic eg. 1,2,3 & knuckles, Mania.)

For the horror genre I'd have to say Resident Evil. Very immersive.

The Metal Gear series seems to be highly received and is a pretty quality game series overall.

Consistently for speedruns Mario 64 is at the top most of the time on speedrun.com Arguably one of the most popular mario games and early 3d platformers.

According to wikipedia stuff like Symphony of the Night and Breath of the Wild are up there. I'll link the page so you can view it yourself.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

Gameplay

Final Fantasy V
Super Metroid
Super Mario Bros. 3
Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Story

Final Fantasy VI
Terranigma
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Music

Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger