Author Topic: Why do my submissions keep getting deleted?  (Read 1512 times)

lh3cr

Why do my submissions keep getting deleted?
« on: February 16, 2020, 12:39:18 pm »
I am trying to add three games to the database. They are:

Noble Racing [PS2, EU]
Summer Athletics [PS2, EU]
Baja Edge of Control [PS3, EU]

But they keep disappearing! I've just added them for a third time - this time with box art and more information to prove these exist - and hope that they stay there. Who is rewsponsible for these deletions because I think they should come forward and apologise.

BinaryMessiah

Re: Why do my submissions keep getting deleted?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 02:21:37 pm »
I am trying to add three games to the database. They are:

Noble Racing [PS2, EU]
Summer Athletics [PS2, EU]
Baja Edge of Control [PS3, EU]

But they keep disappearing! I've just added them for a third time - this time with box art and more information to prove these exist - and hope that they stay there. Who is rewsponsible for these deletions because I think they should come forward and apologise.

I just looked these up and there's zero info on the pages. No publisher/developer, no release date, no box text, no barcode. Also, the admins delete these and probably because you weren't following the guidelines more than anything. Also, no one has to apologize, especially if the guidelines weren't followed. Posting is a privelage not a right.

lh3cr

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 02:35:30 pm »
I get that but deleting a submission without notification as to why does seem a little bit rude.

I have since amended the entries with as much information as I can find and my browser will allow (it tends to freeze when trying to load up the publisher/developer lists).

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 10:37:47 pm »
I took it upon myself to update all three entries with as much information that I could find online.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:19:15 pm by dhaabi »

soera

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 02:07:10 am »
The admin side of submissions is hard to describe. Sometimes we dont get "why" some submits are there. So if it looks like nothing has changed, often times I will just reject with "info already on hand". With that being said, if you do get some like this, posting a question asking why its been submitted sometimes lets me know what is being change and actually helps!

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 09:53:53 am »
Typically we would only outright delete entries that adhere to these circumstances:
- item is not valid for the db
- entry for a game that doesn't exist
- item is a dupe but has no items in collection

Otherwise, dupes wouldn't be deleted outright, rather we would attempt to merge them as a dupe. I didn't see anyone post about it in the other threads, so not sure what the story was here. OP deleted their account, so I guess we'll never find out. :\

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 06:37:26 pm »
Sometimes we dont get "why" some submits are there. So if it looks like nothing has changed, often times I will just reject with "info already on hand".

That's just bad, no, - terrible - moderating then. Inexcusable. Ever thought to PM the user and ask them to describe the changes they made?  Or add a "edit reason" field box to fill out? You encourage people to edit and correct information - and then when they do - you just deny the edits outright. I spent half an hour last night looking up information to add to game descriptions to describe their versions for some good information, and they were both denied. I would delete my account too over that. That's why I no longer edit any wrong info on this site anymore - and other people get the same message - because we know it's just going to get rejected for some dumb reason.  People get the message that their information is worthless and not wanted, so once you do that to so many people, they no longer want to contribute anything and no longer care.  Imagine if Wikia did that - the site would be gone overnight!  You just have to let the people submit their information and believe in them that they are correct. If the info is wrong - someone else that knows will re-edit it when they see it. There is no reason for this power-hungry Nazi style moderation. Just let the people edit things. This is a site for gamers - not moderators that think they know everything about each game and reject valid information.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 09:00:18 pm »
You know there’s an entire thread dedicated to a discussion about rejected edits and proper formatting, right?  Or did you just feel the need to go on this rant before looking into it?

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 09:51:51 am »
That's just bad, no, - terrible - moderating then. Inexcusable. Ever thought to PM the user and ask them to describe the changes they made?  Or add a "edit reason" field box to fill out? You encourage people to edit and correct information - and then when they do - you just deny the edits outright. I spent half an hour last night looking up information to add to game descriptions to describe their versions for some good information, and they were both denied.

I send a lot of PMs regarding rejects, but not for everything. We have a forum and a rejected edits thread for people to post into. We didn't have a rejected edits thread for many years and for some time it was not allowed. Now we allow it because we want people to explain themselves and to ask questions so that we can help them to understand what type of information we want on entries.

Descriptions should be as barebones as possible. Edits for descriptions that are too wordy will be rejected, or existing entries removed. Our use of "description" is not like how "description" is used on other websites. For a physical item entry, description is for physical description and not relating to gameplay. Any mentions of other versions, variants, platforms or inferred other items besides the one the entry is for, gets removed. Information that is duplicated by entry fields such as release date, pub/dev, etc will be rejected or removed.

Similarly, box text that contain legal symbols such as trademark, etc will be rejected with "incorrect formatting."

pzeke

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 01:12:49 pm »
That's just bad, no, - terrible - moderating then. Inexcusable. Ever thought to PM the user and ask them to describe the changes they made?  Or add a "edit reason" field box to fill out? You encourage people to edit and correct information - and then when they do - you just deny the edits outright. I spent half an hour last night looking up information to add to game descriptions to describe their versions for some good information, and they were both denied. I would delete my account too over that. That's why I no longer edit any wrong info on this site anymore - and other people get the same message - because we know it's just going to get rejected for some dumb reason.  People get the message that their information is worthless and not wanted, so once you do that to so many people, they no longer want to contribute anything and no longer care.  Imagine if Wikia did that - the site would be gone overnight!  You just have to let the people submit their information and believe in them that they are correct. If the info is wrong - someone else that knows will re-edit it when they see it. There is no reason for this power-hungry Nazi style moderation. Just let the people edit things. This is a site for gamers - not moderators that think they know everything about each game and reject valid information.

A very valid critique. While sending the user a PM is fine and nice (quite frankly, it's the most obvious and deferential thing an admin or mod should do), whenever a rejection is made, it should be clearly detailed/explained on the user's side when they see said rejection. As it stands, all there is are vague notes that the user sees when their edit gets rejected that only add to the confusion and exasperation. A website like this is meant to attract and "reward" its users for their time, not drive them away or make them feel unneeded; it shouldn't hold their hands, but it should be explicit to a fault when it's telling its users that they're wrong on something. More so if the user has followed guidelines/rules, as it has been the case a few times in the past.

I've always commented on the potential this website has, which is big, but I firmly believe has been squandered for far too long now–this place is almost a decade old, yet feels outright devoid. I sincerely don't want to sound like an ingrate (I'm not), and I say this with utmost respect, but I feel jason needs to step up his game. The mods/admins I also feel need to work on the way they conduct themselves sometimes within their group to try and not belittle or demoralize, sometimes even trivialize other members, driving them away in the process. In the end, websites like this are driven by their users and without them they would amount to just a digital husk strung with codes.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!