Author Topic: Virus has gotten really bad now and destroyed the fabric of our society  (Read 5364 times)

My sister’s university is no longer holding face to face classes

My father’s employer has shut down completely

I was in Costco today for food at the restaurant and had to push a trolley around to maintain distance (enforced policy) and the seating area was stripped out only allowing takeaway orders

Today everything is ruined

I, for one, welcome our new coronavirus overlords.

Warmsignal

So your idea of societal fabric is.... Costco lines and cheap hotdogs?

Canceling classes, and work, is a ultimately for the good. Hoarding toilet paper however, is not cool. The fabric of our society has had some ragged spots for some time now, I don't think the virus is to blame for that.

Asking everyone to stay inside as much as possible for a few weeks and only leave for essential needs does not equate to a complete breakdown of society.

We need people to self isolate in order to slow the spread of the virus long enough that not only are hospitals not being overwhelmed, but also long enough for effective treatments to be found. Running to Costco to cram yourself in amongst all the people panic buying and hoarding does the exact opposite. Going to the store while the parking lot is full is being part of the problem, not the solution.

I’m sorry but when I can’t sit down to my Costco pizza/hot dog/cottage pie/ice cream/baked potato it signifies the end of days.

tripredacus

Government policies and reactions are the direct cause of the current situation.

tripredacus is 100% correct.  Here in the USA farmers are having to destroy all their crops, and dump all their milk and throw everything out because nobody is buying it. And supermarkets do not buy local produce, only overseas produce, which is having to do the same thing, so the markets are running out of produce and milk.

ferraroso

Here in the USA farmers are having to destroy all their crops, and dump all their milk and throw everything out because nobody is buying it.

Maybe farmers are having to destroy their crops and milk because, now, most people are living on takeaway hot dogs from Costco...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 06:49:55 pm by ferraroso »

tripredacus

The milk story is overblown. From what I understand is that farms that are set up to serve two separate channels independently are having to dump product normally destined for b2b market due to the demand being dropped. This story is more about supply chain and how each company has set up their production system. Those who do not operate in this way would not have this problem, and the problem for those that are will go away once they reconfigure or shift production to retail channels.

You can read about this specifically here:
https://twitter.com/FreshAirFarmer/status/1247876205564526593

The news will often sensationalize things and not dig into the details as to why something is. Especially when it comes to business or technology topics.

I am pretty sure dairy farms normally dump milk anyway to keep prices high.

tripredacus

Not in Canada!

Not in Canada!
They do in the US because the profits margins in the dairy industry are low.  I figured it was low worldwide too.

sworddude

Not in Canada!
They do in the US because the profits margins in the dairy industry are low.  I figured it was low worldwide too.

in a ton of countries in europe they are forced to dump milk since if you produce to much you'll get a huge fine by the goverment and that's in normal times. there is a certain limit how much milk they can sell. everything above that limit has to go.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:20:27 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Seether is waifu. He has passed Tifa from Final Fantasy on my all-time sexiest, babe list.  Please notice me Seether.  I regret texting Hayley Painter.  It was ONE time.  Their is nothing there.   I can give you a life Johnny cant.  Smell the fresh deep fried cinnamon churros as the intoxicating Aroma fills the air at the ferris wheel on the Santa Monica pier  in beautiful sun soaked, Los Angeles, California. 

Seether is waifu. He has passed Tifa from Final Fantasy on my all-time sexiest, babe list.  Please notice me Seether.  I regret texting Hayley Painter.  It was ONE time.  Their is nothing there.   I can give you a life Johnny cant.  Smell the fresh deep fried cinnamon churros as the intoxicating Aroma fills the air at the ferris wheel on the Santa Monica pier  in beautiful sun soaked, Los Angeles, California.

OK.