Author Topic: Do You Consider The SONY PlayStation 3's A Failure  (Read 8456 times)

Do You Consider The SONY PlayStation 3's A Failure
« on: March 19, 2020, 02:35:42 pm »
that thing could do just about everything an average gaming PC could do, for example (not a full list by the way)

1: Play Music CD's
2: Rip Music CD's
3: Play PlayStation 1 games
4: Watch Bluray movies
5: Play PS3 games
6: fully Browse the internet
7: Watch YouTube
8" Watch Hulu
9: Watch Netflix
10: Play Music while playing a game, although I never tried it (spotify app)
11: Connect a USB Keyboard
12: Free Online gaming (for a while)
13: Some could even play PlayStation 2 games
14: Run/host an online server

and it had a lot of other apps for it also like Amazon music apps and could do just about whatever A PC at that time.

Of
There were different hard-drive sizes circling the model and it ranges from 20GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB, and 160GB, 120GB, 250GB, 320GB, 12GB  and 500GB, versions.

1: The Phat (20GB, 40GB. 60GB 80GB 160GB)
1: The Slim (120GB, 160GB, 250GB, 320GB)
3: The Super Slim (12GB. 250GB, 500GB, models)

I for one still love my PlayStation 3. Even though, I now only use my newest one for Playing games on, and I highly recommend playing PlayStation 1 games on one. Rather then on a real PlayStation 1, or PlayStation 2 because you can create a heck of a lot of Internal PS1 memory cards for your PS1 library's save files without needing to buy PS1 or PS2 memory cards

I have never had A PS1 game not work on any PlayStation 3 model Unless counting my 2nd super slim that had issues I guess ::)

I never had a PS3 Phat that could play PlayStation 2 games. But that's why I also love My PlayStation 2 phat just as much today.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:29:52 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Do You Consider The SONY PlayStation 3's A Failure
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 02:49:15 pm »
It outsold the 360 so no.

telekill

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 03:21:24 pm »
Why would it be considered a failure?

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 03:50:55 pm »
Not a failure, just not the runaway success that other PlayStation systems have been before and since. I took a while for it to pick up steam, due to initial price and receiving some botched ports in early years. I'm not a big fan of where this era took Sony's first party exclusive efforts compared to the previous systems. Games like Uncharted, Resistance, Infamous and Killzone come across as also-ran responses to what was going on in the industry, and not as era defining titles. There were some interesting exclusive titles, but the majority of those weren't overwhelmingly successful.

I've had quite a few PS1 fail to output any video using my 60GB system. Although, that could be an issue with my TV not supporting the resolution through HDMI.

In all, I'm not the biggest PS3 fan and I do prefer both the Wii and the 360 over it, but it's by no means a "failure". It was quite a successful system in the end, with a vast library that has a little something for everyone.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:53:35 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 06:23:43 pm »
I liked that you could swap out the internal HD so easily, def not a failure. I prefer my 360, but I had it 1st. If all I had was a PS3 life would still be great.

Also as for you #12, what do you mean for awhile? You can still play ps3 online for free. Only PS4 needs PS+

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 08:14:11 pm »
I never liked the PS3 in particular, I was more about the 360, but it's in the top 5 best selling consoles of all time, it wasn't a failure at all even if it had some issues to start.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 08:33:29 pm »
I liked that you could swap out the internal HD so easily, def not a failure. I prefer my 360, but I had it 1st. If all I had was a PS3 life would still be great.

Also as for you #12, what do you mean for awhile? You can still play ps3 online for free. Only PS4 needs PS+

Sorry wasn't exactly sure on the online games still running, or not I have to assume some of the PS3 library does not have online features anymore.

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 08:35:27 pm »

I just don't hear that many people mentioning the PS3 console in general.

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 10:11:34 pm »

My thoughts exactly.

How was the PS3 ever a failure in any way?

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 12:32:57 am »

Sorry wasn't exactly sure on the online games still running, or not I have to assume some of the PS3 library does not have online features anymore.

Ah ok. Most games are still up and running, and free to play online. There are a fair share of games whos servers are shut down though.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 02:08:57 am »

I just don't hear that many people mentioning the PS3 console in general.

It is probably the least loved of the Sony consoles. I guess i'd attribute that to the fact that it doesn't have as many timeless and "classic" titles compared to the other Sony consoles. I also don't think it helps that many of its best games were ported to the PS4 and updated, making the PS3 versions inferior in quality. I love the PS3, but admittedly its my least favorite Sony console, but I still like it more than easily half of all mainstream consoles released since the NES.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 06:09:27 am »

My thoughts exactly.

How was the PS3 ever a failure in any way?

Sony was selling consoles at a heavy loss when them consoles where fully compatible with ps1 and ps2 games like big time

ps3 barely broke even in the very end according to multiple articles took them quite some time. Ps3 is the only generation wich a sony console was pretty shit in terms of profit.

while 80 million sales is pretty good they took to much of a loss on console sales and expensive production costs

on the financial side ps3 was most definitely a big failure.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:17:20 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 06:12:12 am »

Barely, and it took 6 years before PS3 lifetime sales overtook the 360's. And in the end, the 360 still sold about 20 million more consoles than the PS3 did in North America; What gave the PS3 the main lead was the fact that the xbox brand is a complete failure in the Japanese market.

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 06:13:48 am »

Barely, and it took 6 years before PS3 lifetime sales overtook the 360's. And in the end, the 360 still sold about 20 million more consoles than the PS3 did in North America; What gave the PS3 the main lead was the fact that the xbox brand is a complete failure in the Japanese market.

ps3 lost 300$ for every early ps3 console that they sold even if they sold a bit more profit wise ps3 was a shit show. xbox 360 probably did allot better in wich they did not sell consoles with such heavy losses

they where really banking on game sales apprently, attracting consumers with lower console prices.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2006/nov/17/sonylosescash

I'm pretty sure nintendo is the only one who either breaks even per console sale or a small profit since microsoft and sony both lose money per sold console. sony however went a bit overboard during ps3 era. 300$ loss per console is just crazy.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:16:35 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 06:29:36 am »
Well, it did suffer from the 'Third Console Curse', which basically makes the 3rd console of a company be complete garbage. This is why the N64, Sega Saturn, Xbox One and Wii U were commercial failures at first. While the PS3 and Xbox One did go on to become successful in their own generation, the rest were left in the dust.