Author Topic: LRG blocking news sites regarding EU info on Streets of Rage 4  (Read 5744 times)

tripredacus

Re: LRG blocking news sites regarding EU info on Streets of Rage 4
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 12:10:38 pm »
It doesn't say that LRG games are perpetually exclusive, and if it did that would be false information. However the information about LRG's contract having something put in place to stop others from announcing or talking about their version is the topic for discussion here.

Are you trying to mislead and misdirect the conversation or have i not explained my problem with this enough?

Ok but this is a common stipulation. All parties would accept this type of arrangement in order to secure sales for themselves. It seems to be a silly argument that companies should make their contracts public, that's a pipe dream. I can see the problem that has come up for the consumer, however it would be on the other publisher for either announcing or leaking the news of an upcoming product while in LRG's exclusivity period. If that other company was not responsible for that information, then there would be no fault with anyone involved that are following the schedules put forth by the agreement.

One thing to remember is that the machinations of the corporate world are not designed with the consumer in mind.

But holy cow, is this ever a first world problem.  ::)

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 12:18:49 pm »
ok sorry, I understand. I would just be happy to get the game, I hope you can at least get game, since you did already pay for it. I would be pissed too if I order something and didn't get it

Don;t get me wrong, i defo want the game.
However i live in the UK, and the Signature Edition would be better value for money for me and i wouldn't have to pay $15 in shipping for a single game like i have to with LRG's standard edition of Streets of Rage 4.
Plus it means i get an EU version of the game, and since DLC has already been announced, it makes more sense for me to have an EU version so i can get the DLC with my own PSN account, rather than using a dummy American one.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 12:36:56 pm »
It doesn't say that LRG games are perpetually exclusive, and if it did that would be false information. However the information about LRG's contract having something put in place to stop others from announcing or talking about their version is the topic for discussion here.

Are you trying to mislead and misdirect the conversation or have i not explained my problem with this enough?

Ok but this is a common stipulation. All parties would accept this type of arrangement in order to secure sales for themselves. It seems to be a silly argument that companies should make their contracts public, that's a pipe dream. I can see the problem that has come up for the consumer, however it would be on the other publisher for either announcing or leaking the news of an upcoming product while in LRG's exclusivity period. If that other company was not responsible for that information, then there would be no fault with anyone involved that are following the schedules put forth by the agreement.

One thing to remember is that the machinations of the corporate world are not designed with the consumer in mind.

But holy cow, is this ever a first world problem.  ::)

I understand your point  :)

I think my real issue here is with the disingenuousness of it all. I mean LRG tout all their games as being 'exclusives' and they even state that as such. However the contract that they must have had with Streets of Rage 4 and its gag order, tells them that other companies will be producing it elsewhere.

So why the claim to be exclusive all the time, when you KNOW for a FACT that someone else will be publishing it?
Especially so, when that same game that you claim to be an exclusive is getting a standard retail release.

Like you said though, first world problems   :D

Flashback2012

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 12:41:37 pm »
I found it weird they released that super expensive version a few weeks after the regular/limited editions. Seems like a good way to shoot yourself in the foot?  :P

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 12:48:40 pm »
I found it weird they released that super expensive version a few weeks after the regular/limited editions. Seems like a good way to shoot yourself in the foot?  :P

They did the same with the Star Wars May the 4th editions, suppose it's a way to try and get people to double dip?

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 01:03:17 pm »
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1258429690018246657
You can cancel if you contact customer support. We typically allow cancelations of preorder items while the preorder window is still active, which is the case with Streets of Rage 4.

tripredacus

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 02:36:08 pm »
So why the claim to be exclusive all the time, when you KNOW for a FACT that someone else will be publishing it?
Especially so, when that same game that you claim to be an exclusive is getting a standard retail release.

Exclusive is a marketing term and is subjective at that. You see it all the time where a publisher will say a game is an exclusive, when it is either not actually exclusive (such as it is available for computers) or is a limited time exclusive such as COD content which has PS4 exclusivity for 1 week to 1 month only. Since the tweet from Josh Fairhurst says that after their sales period is over, then rights go back to whoever they licensed them from and a game can be re-released... it means that ALL of LRG's releases are limited time exclusives.

Another way a product can be exclusive is based upon regions. This happens a lot in the retail industry, moreso in the past than now, where a product will be a store exclusive but in actuality it is only to a store in a specific region. The product could then be sold by other stores in other regions. A recent example came up on Twitter, where the Sega Genesis 3 was a TRU exclusive, but was also available at other stores outside of TRU's sales area, even those residing in the same area code. An item may be announced as a store or website exclusive for a specific country and the exclusivity does not apply in countries outside of that pervue.

So the one thing to remember is that the term "exclusive" is first and foremost a marketing or adveritsing term. It is not set in stone, but only applies at the specific time a product is marketed. And when LRG is selling something as an "Exclusive" they are specifically referring to the entire product as a whole, not the game data or any particular included component. If you read into some of those tweets that Josh Fairhurst put (it might have been in another thread tho) he does point out the exclusive portion of any of their products are the things they specifically include that would not be present if another company released a version later on.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:08:48 pm by vivigamer »

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2020, 08:17:00 pm »
Glad I waited. LRG has gone down a slippery slope. I haven't ordered from them in almost a year.  At this point with all these releases, limited run has lost all meaning.

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2020, 08:42:59 pm »
Glad I waited. LRG has gone down a slippery slope. I haven't ordered from them in almost a year.  At this point with all these releases, limited run has lost all meaning.

I was never huge in LRG but I did buy Bloodstained from them cuz I really liked the game so I felt having a physical copy would be nice. Same with Streets Of Rage 4 however I am not the biggest fan of them. I understand selling physical copies of games that are digital only as a nice touch for those who want it but when decided to sell The Jak Trilogy which were basically the upscale PS4 releases of PS2 games I was like now hold up. Same thing with Star Wars Bounty Hunter, Indigo Prophecy as in all games that can already be obtained and not very pricey mind you elsewhere. Oh and dont get me started on Star Wars NES. Point is the whole point of LRG is being lost but hey as long as people are willing to buy, they will make more.

Warmsignal

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2020, 11:04:46 pm »
More like LRL.

All I wanna say is thank god that a game like SoR4 physical isn't squandered as a gimmicky collector's trinket exclusively. How lame would that be? Streets of Rage for the masses!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:06:43 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2020, 11:18:36 pm »
Well LRG just announced that basically they are going to make sure all future contracts are written with worldwide exclusivity atleast until they are ready to ship.  ::)

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2020, 12:10:30 am »
Streets of Rage 4 now available for pre-order on US Amazon

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0889WWYS7/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20
Xbox: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B088B46TX3/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

Links are from cheapassgamer as I couldnt find them via search

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2020, 06:20:13 pm »
love LRG at some point, hate it on other point.

i badly want street of rage 4, but i'm so glad I didn't buy it from lrg (as I live in france, i'll get a EU version cheaper)

I don't care about limited game etc etc (I have plenty of LRG release, they are all open, and I played to all of them) but I care about getting a physical copy

I wish they'll get back less into making hard money, and more into getting physical games that NEED to be done physical (like street of rage : they was knowing for ure it would get retail release) (and yes, I know it is a "dream"

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2020, 08:02:50 pm »
I'm trying to get mine cancelled atm.
Josh said it would be fine to and to send him the number of my refund request and he'd get someone to look at it today.

Unfortunately all i've seen so far as that my ticket has been passed from one person to another, and i don't even know if they work on tickets during the weekend, and the sales seem to be final after sunday has passed when the pre-orders stop.

I'll give updates as things happen, but i'll be honest, it's not looking good  :(