Author Topic: Why isn't Visual Novel added as a genre??  (Read 1764 times)

Why isn't Visual Novel added as a genre??
« on: May 30, 2020, 02:46:15 pm »
There is a wide number of visual novel games across every platform, but it is not listed as a genre so majority of the visual novel games get added to the database without a listed genre.  Shouldn't visual novel be added to the list of genre?

sworddude

Re: Why isn't Visual Novel added as a genre??
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 05:57:55 pm »
isn't visual novel a bit like point & click adventure?
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 06:05:42 pm »
isn't visual novel a bit like point & click adventure?
not even slightly.

A second this as a formal request.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 08:20:58 pm »
I would also like this added, I always stumble over what to add them as.

telly

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 08:57:13 pm »
+1 for this suggestion!
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 09:47:44 pm »
It really should be a genre. Though maybe you should be talking to an admin about this.

Flashback2012

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 06:15:30 am »
They added a few new genres in the past. I had thought I suggested Visual Novel but it wasn't added at the time. Any other genres we can think of that need adding? If they're going to add this then may as well have a few more they can include to cut down on the work.  ;)

dhaabi

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 01:23:33 pm »

Adventure.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 04:15:50 pm »

Adventure.

I would say,,,,no. Visual novels are a popular genre, shocked they don't have their own genre here. +1 from me.

dhaabi

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 06:44:45 pm »

Adventure.

I would say,,,,no. Visual novels are a popular genre, shocked they don't have their own genre here. +1 from me.

I'm not disagreeing that visual novel as a genre should be added as an option on this website. I was addressing OP who was unsure what to categorize visual novel games in how these types of games should be categorized in the meantime.

However, I still am of the opinion that visual novels are a sub-genre to the broad adventure genre. This post I found explains the idea nicely. Despite this, there are still plenty of visual novels listed that warrant a differentiation to both categories by adding visual novel as an option for users to select.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 07:06:02 pm »

Adventure.

I'm not disagreeing that visual novel as a genre should be added as an option on this website. I was addressing OP who was unsure what to categorize visual novel games in how these types of games should be categorized in the meantime.

However, I still am of the opinion that visual novels are a sub-genre to the broad adventure genre. This post I found explains the idea nicely. Despite this, there are still plenty of visual novels listed that warrant a differentiation to both categories by adding visual novel as an option for users to select.
Ace attorney is very much hybrid and not a visual novel.

Most VNs are definitely not Adventure games.  Most VNs i have seen on the site are marked as Other.  That would be the category to use, currently.

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 09:33:57 am »
Visual Novel has been on the pending portion of the first post on the Category Requests thread since it got remade. Currently, adding items to the genre field is an ability reserved to Admins.

jason

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 10:55:04 am »
There is a wide number of visual novel games across every platform, but it is not listed as a genre so majority of the visual novel games get added to the database without a listed genre.  Shouldn't visual novel be added to the list of genre?

Thank you for the feedback, chibimanny! I've made it so! :)