Author Topic: Advanced Style Guide update and feedback thread  (Read 22165 times)

Re: Advanced Style Guide update and feedback thread
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 08:23:09 am »
Settings was included in that list as well.

tripredacus

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 11:54:24 am »
Thanks, examples used.

TLD post created.

tripredacus

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 10:34:38 am »
Changed settings so all members can see this section.

If you can't see it, let me know in here. It is not visible to guests.

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2020, 08:57:24 am »
Just read it and learned I've been using Unreleased (but official) wrong this whole time. Whoops..

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 08:59:38 am »
Just read it and learned I've been using Unreleased (but official) wrong this whole time. Whoops..
Yeah... I thought we were supposed to use Unreleased (but official) for things that haven't released yet.

If we're making that change are we going to add Official Release (Upcoming) to the release type options?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:02:03 am by ignition365 »

tripredacus

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 09:25:37 am »
I put it in the todo list in the Category Requests thread.

tripredacus

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 10:50:19 am »
Official Release (Upcoming) was added by Admin yesterday to the Release Date drop-down list.
The Advanced Style Guide has been updated.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 04:36:41 am »
Sweet!

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 10:14:38 pm »
Official Release (Upcoming) is showing as blank on individual item pages.

https://vgcollect.com/item/178989

tripredacus

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2020, 09:15:42 am »
Official Release (Upcoming) is showing as blank on individual item pages.

https://vgcollect.com/item/178989

Looks like this is fixed now.

tripredacus

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 10:52:03 am »
Updates
- Re-ordered games section in Description section. Added example for documenting insert variations among different releases, where the actual variants do not get a separate entry.

- Added "unwritten rule" of using forward slash with spacing on games with multiple game titles, in the Item Name section.

- Added clarification that accessories with games as download codes but not physical games are considered games in the Platform section.

Info needed
Still looking for examples of US items with UPC missing the country code and check digit.

tripredacus

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2020, 09:47:33 am »
Updates
- changed thread title to reflect current use of the thread

- Added formatting for multiple descriptors to use same formatting as multiple names in title to Item Name section.

tripredacus

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 11:55:35 am »
Added rule regarding Quotation Marks to Item Name post.

Basically to omit quotation marks from Item Names, the primary reason being that the site's input validation truncates the text when submitting a new item. Admins and DB Admins have the ability to create entries like this because we can edit an item immediately and have it appear. Non-admin users would submit an item, have the broken item name just sit there until an admin gets to go through the update queue. And that is presuming the person who created the entry even bothers to put in an edit afterwards to fix the title... I'd say it is about 50/50 that happens... so it is better to just omit the quotation marks entirely to make it easier for everyone.

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 02:06:22 pm »
Added rule regarding Quotation Marks to Item Name post.

Basically to omit quotation marks from Item Names, the primary reason being that the site's input validation truncates the text when submitting a new item. Admins and DB Admins have the ability to create entries like this because we can edit an item immediately and have it appear. Non-admin users would submit an item, have the broken item name just sit there until an admin gets to go through the update queue. And that is presuming the person who created the entry even bothers to put in an edit afterwards to fix the title... I'd say it is about 50/50 that happens... so it is better to just omit the quotation marks entirely to make it easier for everyone.
Might consider encoding characters so " gets saved as ", but still displayed as " when rendered in browser.

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 04:33:11 pm »
I recently created this thread https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,11082.new.html#new before realizing there's a thread for discussion of Advanced Style Guide already present, sorry about that  :(

Anyway, it would be nice if the guide pointed out how/what to input and what not to input in alt-name field, especially for foreign language titles – people usually input an English name there, is that correct? And if so, at what format?

Some clarification about which prefixes for Disney (Disney, Disney's Disney Pixar, Disney/Pixar, Disney/Pixar's, Disney/Pixar …) should be used and when – the Lion king example is a good one, but it clearly have 's visible in "Disney's"…