Author Topic: Sega Games With Hard Boxes/Cardboard Boxes  (Read 1455 times)

Sega Games With Hard Boxes/Cardboard Boxes
« on: June 09, 2020, 01:43:30 pm »
Is there an official or complete list somewhere of what Sega games will always come in a hard case, have a hard case and a carboard box variant, or only come in a carboard box?

Shining Force II is an example. I see many listings of the cardboard box and I also see some people selling the hard case. I think the hard case is fake and not what the game was published with, but I can't be sure. Anyone have some good places for reference?

tripredacus

Re: Sega Games With Hard Boxes/Cardboard Boxes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 02:05:25 pm »
Our Genesis section should be complete as far as that goes. The entry in question: Shining Force II
https://vgcollect.com/item/10460

Does not have the details put into it, however there is only 1 release that is known. Cardboard slidebox.

As for other references, this ongoing project has the best collection of info in one place that I'm aware of:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IKheEp9_Ww1YFwj_1MvMF_1Vw8Ed6nksmDy9-BfA9nQ/edit#gid=0

As for completeness, we work differently. On VGC we verified our entries exist and some of the things on that sheet were not verified and so do not exist in the DB. The same is true the other way around, that sheet author has been previously made aware of our work and they also go about the task of verifying things for themselves before adding it to the sheet.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 02:23:48 pm »
Wow this is amazing! Thank you!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 07:49:10 pm »
I bought mine new back in the day and it was a cardboard box. As far as I know that's the only way it was released.

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 08:11:54 pm »
Is there an official or complete list somewhere of what Sega games will always come in a hard case, have a hard case and a carboard box variant, or only come in a carboard box?

Shining Force II is an example. I see many listings of the cardboard box and I also see some people selling the hard case. I think the hard case is fake and not what the game was published with, but I can't be sure. Anyone have some good places for reference?

the hardcase versions that you see aren't fake, it's just that people cut out the cardboard version and inserted those in a plastic clamm shell.

so yea damaged and altered, but not fake.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 09:52:40 am »
There are plenty of homemade or custom shells out there for many games as well.

telekill

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 11:08:27 am »
I know that Jurassic Park had both the plastic and cardboard box versions.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 01:40:46 am »
Castlevania Bloodlines had both cardboard and clamshell boxes.
So did Contra Hard Corps

sonicfan53

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 04:20:57 am »
My copies of Sonic 1, 2 and Spinball are hard boxes