Author Topic: The Price of PS2 Games Are Exploding  (Read 5461 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

The Price of PS2 Games Are Exploding
« on: July 20, 2020, 01:49:27 pm »
According to this article, at least:

https://ghettogamer.net/2020/07/18/collecting-ps2-games/?fbclid=IwAR3PwLQBDAluMNc74PYChSaVgUqn1FM86ZxZvlF4wnheBu1_79rvWwHI4LU

Thoughts on this? You think PS2's time is here?

Honestly, except for a few exceptions that have always been pricey, I haven't noticed this uptick in price. But then, I'm also not really actively hunting for PS2 games. I have mostly what I want for PS2, with a few small exceptions.

What about you guys? Have you noticed this trend while out hunting? Is it time to thin out the PS2 collection and make a little dough?

Re: The Price of PS2 Games Are Exploding
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 01:52:12 pm »
Like you I'm not really actively looking PS2 games, so I've not noticed any upticks, but the timeline does generally work out for an increase in price.  I could see it getting even worse if the PS5 gets backwards compatibility and increases demand.

telly

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 01:54:28 pm »
I was looking through some of my PS2 games on pricecharting the other day and I was surprised to see how much Silent Hill games have gone up in price.

SH2 is around $80 for complete, and SH3 is pushing $120, SH4 is around $90
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 02:30:05 pm »
PS2 has exploded in the last few months. All the heavy hitters have nearly doubled- Kuon and Rule of Rose are pushing $600 a piece, Haunting Ground is around $400 and a lot of the midrange titles- especially rpgs have jumped up substantially- 20-50% at least across the board. Just go to VGPC and look at the historical charts.  Some of these prices will settle but the time for ps2 is now. 

pzeke

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 06:31:55 pm »
This doesn't bother me, as I already own about 90%-95% of the games I want for the system. Other than imports, which I haven't bothered with in a while, the only "big contenders" in my wantlist are "Wild Arms: Alter Code F" and "Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam", two games that go for quite a hefty trout.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 07:44:57 pm »
It's like that for all 6th gen consoles except xbox. Most titles in PS2, gamecube have increased somewhat with a few select titles absolutely doubling or tripling in price.

Path of radiance for gamecube has gone from like $125-$150 to $265 in less than half a year.

And xenosaga III has gone from like $75-$80ish to $180 in the same period of time.

Long are the times where I used to see xenosaga trilogy bundles on ebay for $125. Now xeno III alone exceeds that price.

Lots of other titles too but those two caught my eye like wow.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 01:16:40 am »
I'd say the main reason is that it's now that generation's time where these would be the games that new adults with disposable income are buying. These games came out in the early 2000s. People who were kids then are now in their twenties and out of college and in the workforce. They've got money to spend, and with nostalgia being as it is, they want to recollect the games of their childhoods and possibly also the games they never got to play back then. And with so much shut down because of corona, it acts as a further incentive to get the games now because it's something to do inside.

I'd also say that a big reason why Xbox isn't jumping up as fast as PS2 and GCN is because Microsoft's made many of the classics accessible in one form or another for the later systems. And to the casual gamer, they'd rather just spend a few bucks for a digital copy than hunting down a physical copy and paying a lot more. The loss of Xbox Live for the original Xbox also hurts a bit as since online multiplayer was one of the system's best strengths, not having that denies a large chunk of nostalgia for some of the major games.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 06:20:23 am »
I'd say the main reason is that it's now that generation's time where these would be the games that new adults with disposable income are buying. These games came out in the early 2000s. People who were kids then are now in their twenties and out of college and in the workforce. They've got money to spend, and with nostalgia being as it is, they want to recollect the games of their childhoods and possibly also the games they never got to play back then. And with so much shut down because of corona, it acts as a further incentive to get the games now because it's something to do inside.

I'd also say that a big reason why Xbox isn't jumping up as fast as PS2 and GCN is because Microsoft's made many of the classics accessible in one form or another for the later systems. And to the casual gamer, they'd rather just spend a few bucks for a digital copy than hunting down a physical copy and paying a lot more. The loss of Xbox Live for the original Xbox also hurts a bit as since online multiplayer was one of the system's best strengths, not having that denies a large chunk of nostalgia for some of the major games.

How about xbox classic not having that many interesting games in comparison

Yea sure there where some sega dreamcast games but otherwise poor pickings. it has a pretty small library. it has no mascots aside from halo. Multiplayer on xbox was pretty much only good for shooters and racing games, name me games that are simular to mario party smash bros or some karting game etc. it pales in terms of multiplayer unless you really like certain genre's in wich you could just go to ps2 instead if where talking consoles with lesser multiplayer options. you probably have a better shot at interesting non shooter racing games on ps2.

Zero rpg's (1 or2 mediocre ones) zero shoot em ups (maybe 1 or 2), just few horror games. let alone that most classics on xbox are fairly common. why would those increase in price if the supply is plentyfull and if most of those options where dollar options from the start.

Also a whole there is not much reason for tons of people withouth nostalgia to go after xbox aside from it being relatively cheap. in terms of gameplay the other 2 options are superior in almost every way. the extra power didnt help just like nowadays in wich xbox exclusives are a meme for how few there are. Sony and nintendo have exclusives, xbox has few of them even in the OG xbox era. Why would you pick up xbox for those few games of genre's that you like when you can pick any other console wich has tons of them and are considered to be some of the best. that's why xbox isn't popular.

Still I'm pretty suprised how few people use dolphin for gamecube or ps2 games.

@jdkw50

Xenosaga could be a combination of covid plus the release of the xenoblade DE on switch wich was released 1 or 2 months ago being part of the series.

And if where talking path of radiance, when the secret fighter Byleth in januray 2020 of fire emblem tree houses was released in smash bros. Quite allot of memes on the internet. Even though it was hated it got a hell lot of popularity, withouth that it would have increased less I'd say.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 06:33:28 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 08:30:25 am »
I could have picked up any xbox or ps2 game I wanted 4-5 years ago for about 5-10 bucks. Now on eBay those same games have doubled in price.
Still not alot, but there has defintley been a small spike.
Gamecube games were always high because of people hoarding nintendo products.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 08:39:34 am »
I could have picked up any xbox or ps2 game I wanted 4-5 years ago for about 5-10 bucks. Now on eBay those same games have doubled in price.
Still not alot, but there has defintley been a small spike.
Gamecube games were always high because of people hoarding nintendo products.

there was a way higher shot at doing so but i would not say any title with ease.

A ton of those ps2 titles were already pricy 4 or 5 years ago.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:36:39 am by sworddude »

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 12:24:25 pm »
Multiplayer on xbox was pretty much only good for shooters and racing games, name me games that are simular to mario party smash bros or some karting game etc. it pales in terms of multiplayer unless you really like certain genre's in wich you could just go to ps2 instead if where talking consoles with lesser multiplayer options. you probably have a better shot at interesting non shooter racing games on ps2.

I'm talking specifically about online multiplayer. If you wanted to play online that generation, Xbox was the console to get. The Playstation and Gamecube's online capabilities were horribly limited in comparison.

Also, while the system didn't have much for JRPGs (Which is because Japan hates the Xbox line, so most Japanese developers stayed away unless it was an easy port. Microsoft tried to fix that with the 360 getting exclusive games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but the hate persisted), it still had quite a few solid western ones like KOTOR or Morrowind.

telly

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 01:01:34 pm »
Final Fantasy XI was also huge on PS2 back in the day
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 01:48:53 pm »
Multiplayer on xbox was pretty much only good for shooters and racing games, name me games that are simular to mario party smash bros or some karting game etc. it pales in terms of multiplayer unless you really like certain genre's in wich you could just go to ps2 instead if where talking consoles with lesser multiplayer options. you probably have a better shot at interesting non shooter racing games on ps2.

I'm talking specifically about online multiplayer. If you wanted to play online that generation, Xbox was the console to get. The Playstation and Gamecube's online capabilities were horribly limited in comparison.

Also, while the system didn't have much for JRPGs (Which is because Japan hates the Xbox line, so most Japanese developers stayed away unless it was an easy port. Microsoft tried to fix that with the 360 getting exclusive games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but the hate persisted), it still had quite a few solid western ones like KOTOR or Morrowind.

Sure, but most online games sold pretty well at the time, a ton of xbox titles are pretty common and worth dollar amounts, let alone that we live in an era with to many shooters and even better online than ever.

The things that mainly increase in price are rpg's survival horror, some of the best action platformers or mascot games. Xbox doesn't really have any of those or budget qaulity ones.

And while it does have some like call of cthulu, it's price is pretty much the same since people rather pick a ps2 or ps1 instead with a way better library in that department in wich tons of games are far better aswell. instead of getting an xbox for just 1 or 2 games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 01:57:52 pm »
I understand there's more nostalgia behind PS2 since there were more PS2 users. But still, I find it odd that the original Xbox isn't going up any. With multiplatform titles, Xbox versions are usually the best versions to get. They usually perform the best and have the best graphics, so that's the version you usually want. Plus a number of titles are backwards compatible on both XBox 360 and XBox One.

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 04:37:54 pm »
I understand there's more nostalgia behind PS2 since there were more PS2 users. But still, I find it odd that the original Xbox isn't going up any. With multiplatform titles, Xbox versions are usually the best versions to get. They usually perform the best and have the best graphics, so that's the version you usually want. Plus a number of titles are backwards compatible on both XBox 360 and XBox One.

yes they are the best version but why would someone pick up a Xbox console for just a few games of that genre

Forget nostalgia take survival horror and rpg's why would you get an xbox with few and just medium titles of that genre while ps2 has a ton. Like seriously in terms of actual rpg's you have stuff like black stone magic steel wich is pretty average. Compared to ps2 with it's godlike library for those and the cube having some of the best rpg's of that gen aswell.

Yea sure Xbox version of outrun 2006 is the best but who is going to bother to get a console for just a few games. if you got a cube and ps2, your absolutely not missing much when you skip Xbox

Xbox as always just lacks exclusives even OG xbox days, it was a fine console at the time, pretty impressive with them realistic games, but those games don't age well and are easily replaced by modern day equivalents. and with the genre's that do matter Xbox just dropped the ball compared to ps2 or the cube. There isnt much out there it's not nostalgia.

Again them dreamcast otogi titles are nice but both the cube and ps2 have way more hidden gems to make those pretty forgettable, I'm all for the nostalgia argument but Xbox just doesnt have much that is interesting to play atm in comparison.

Both the cube and ps2 have quality and quantity it's no wonder why many people ignore the OG xbox so much.  ps2 and cube have so much more to offer while the xbox especially with a quick glance was just a console with tons of realistic games at the time that didnt age well.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 04:44:24 pm by sworddude »