Author Topic: The Price of PS2 Games Are Exploding  (Read 5459 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: The Price of PS2 Games Are Exploding
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 05:35:21 pm »
I understand there's more nostalgia behind PS2 since there were more PS2 users. But still, I find it odd that the original Xbox isn't going up any. With multiplatform titles, Xbox versions are usually the best versions to get. They usually perform the best and have the best graphics, so that's the version you usually want. Plus a number of titles are backwards compatible on both XBox 360 and XBox One.

yes they are the best version but why would someone pick up a Xbox console for just a few games of that genre

Forget nostalgia take survival horror and rpg's why would you get an xbox with few and just medium titles of that genre while ps2 has a ton. Like seriously in terms of actual rpg's you have stuff like black stone magic steel wich is pretty average. Compared to ps2 with it's godlike library for those and the cube having some of the best rpg's of that gen aswell.

Yea sure Xbox version of outrun 2006 is the best but who is going to bother to get a console for just a few games. if you got a cube and ps2, your absolutely not missing much when you skip Xbox

Xbox as always just lacks exclusives even OG xbox days, it was a fine console at the time, pretty impressive with them realistic games, but those games don't age well and are easily replaced by modern day equivalents. and with the genre's that do matter Xbox just dropped the ball compared to ps2 or the cube. There isnt much out there it's not nostalgia.

Again them dreamcast otogi titles are nice but both the cube and ps2 have way more hidden gems to make those pretty forgettable, I'm all for the nostalgia argument but Xbox just doesnt have much that is interesting to play atm in comparison.

Both the cube and ps2 have quality and quantity it's no wonder why many people ignore the OG xbox so much.  ps2 and cube have so much more to offer while the xbox especially with a quick glance was just a console with tons of realistic games at the time that didnt age well.

Back then, sure. I can understand that argument for a full-priced, new console. But it's 2020. You can get an original Xbox for dirt cheap, so why not have the best versions? And like I said, backwards compatibility. Even if you don't have one, you can still play many of these games on your 360 or Xbox One in full 1080 HD now, which gives even more incentive to collect those games.

Even then, though. Xbox had it's share of great exclusives. Morrowind alone is on an entirely different level than any other game put out that generation. Then you have Halo 1 & 2, which is probably the hottest selling game of that generation. Fable introduced a lot of people to action-RPGs. Ninja Gaiden was a masterpiece of challenge that games like Dark Souls has drawn inspirations from. Plus a bunch of unsung greats like Arx Fatalis, Dungeons & Dragons Heroes, Jade Empire, Crimson Skies, Stubbs the Zombie, MechAssault 1 &2, and others.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:29:16 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 06:21:07 pm »
I understand there's more nostalgia behind PS2 since there were more PS2 users. But still, I find it odd that the original Xbox isn't going up any. With multiplatform titles, Xbox versions are usually the best versions to get. They usually perform the best and have the best graphics, so that's the version you usually want. Plus a number of titles are backwards compatible on both XBox 360 and XBox One.

As mentioned somewhere in the previous comments, 1st gen xbox games really didn't age well. Gamecube games on the other hand have all aged beautifully unlike its N64 counterparts, basically all hit Nintendo titles on the GCN like Metroid, Mario, Zelda still hold up amazingly today and are exceedingly popular even with younger children still. Just look on twitch and see all the 13 year olds streaming Mario sunshine or Mario 64.

Same goes for PS2, I mean some of the PS2 exclusives that came out were just incredible. The ratchet, sly fox, jak series, final fantasy and other hit JRPGs.

With the GCN and PS2 so stacked with its amazing library, there was no way xbox with it's extremely limited offering of halo, ninja gaiden, mortal kombat, GTA (which btw is also all released on the PS2) could've competed. That is to say, the xbox was not a failure, fact quite the opposite. But the point is it really doesn't have the same potential in present and future collection value in comparison to the two other 6th gen consoles.

That being said, with the exception of maybe very very few select xbox titles, I don't see the value of 1st gen xbox collections shooting up like GCN or PS2...like ever.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 06:23:37 pm by jdkw50 »

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 06:52:55 pm »

yes they are the best version but why would someone pick up a Xbox console for just a few games of that genre

Forget nostalgia take survival horror and rpg's why would you get an xbox with few and just medium titles of that genre while ps2 has a ton. Like seriously in terms of actual rpg's you have stuff like black stone magic steel wich is pretty average. Compared to ps2 with it's godlike library for those and the cube having some of the best rpg's of that gen aswell.

Yea sure Xbox version of outrun 2006 is the best but who is going to bother to get a console for just a few games. if you got a cube and ps2, your absolutely not missing much when you skip Xbox

Xbox as always just lacks exclusives even OG xbox days, it was a fine console at the time, pretty impressive with them realistic games, but those games don't age well and are easily replaced by modern day equivalents. and with the genre's that do matter Xbox just dropped the ball compared to ps2 or the cube. There isnt much out there it's not nostalgia.

Again them dreamcast otogi titles are nice but both the cube and ps2 have way more hidden gems to make those pretty forgettable, I'm all for the nostalgia argument but Xbox just doesnt have much that is interesting to play atm in comparison.

Both the cube and ps2 have quality and quantity it's no wonder why many people ignore the OG xbox so much.  ps2 and cube have so much more to offer while the xbox especially with a quick glance was just a console with tons of realistic games at the time that didnt age well.

Back then, sure. I can understand that argument for a full-priced, new console. But it's 2020. You can get an original Xbox for dirt cheap, so why not have the best versions? And like I said, backwards compatibility. Even if you don't have one, you can still play many of these games on your 360 or Xbox One if full 1080 HD now, which gives even more incentive to collect those games.

Even then, though. Xbox had it's share of great exclusives. Morrowind alone is on an entirely different level than any other game put out that generation. Then you have Halo 1 & 2, which is probably the hottest selling game of that generation. Fable introduced a lot of people to action-RPGs. Ninja Gaiden was a masterpiece of challenge that games like Dark Souls has drawn inspirations from. Plus a bunch of unsung greats like Arx Fatalis, Dungeons & Dragons Heroes, Jade Empire, Crimson Skies, Stubbs the Zombie, MechAssault 1 &2, and others.

First of all yes Xbox is cheap, plus it's titles, The xbox console is however huge and heavy. Does someone want to invest space for an xbox console plus it's games. Again space could be a selling point. Your better off sticking with cube or ps2 instead in wich both consoles have options that xbox doesn't have plus a library that outclasses xbox by allot. Also how many OG xbox fans actually stuck with the console, Majority might have gotten a ps4 instead because of the lack of exclusives. maybe the majority of the XBOX one fanbase are just current gen players, There are many reasons for old fans to not get the new xbox consoles. The only advantage is a bit more power with the meme of having almost no exclusives.

Still if where talking Xbox classics.

Those titles are nice and all but most are either very common: fable jade empire mech assault ninja gaide etc. These are dollar titles tons of supply if there is increase it won't be much. Also stuff like mech assault do you realise how many mech games ps2 has? Ninja gaiden more like god hand ps2 being the superior option if where talking games that are hard as balls plus a ton of fun.

Also While halo is legendary we live in an era where we have way to many shooters with excellent online, plus the games are common and playable on the new xbox consoles.

I'd say morrow wind/ elder scroll series is a bit more hyped on PC. Daggerfall etc, let alone that it was especially skyrim that brought the hype wich was also released on ps3. Really nice that one of the earlier releases was on Xbox but for the actual origins your going for PC not Xbox. Let alone that you could argue that most people won't replay morrow wind anymore cause of witcher 3 or skyrim, did it age well I'd argue not as well as some other genre's, these kinda games will be replaced when modern equivalents come out, as will witcher 3 and skyrim at some point. Morrow wind is kinda in that awkward spot inbetween. not being old enough while being outclassed by newer titles. It's not a genre that will age well. with the exception of the really old pc stuff.

And again for every hidden gem like arx fatalis, stubbs zombie or otogi. ps2 has 30 - 50 or more vs 1 xbox hidden gem and far far better options that's the issue here

O and Xbox got dreamcast games big deal, because the cube got literally the top tier dreamcast games in ikaruga and skies of arcadia. Panzer dragoon orta and otogi are nice and all but pretty rough considering that is one of the big selling points of xbox for games that are worthy to play today. the gamecube also has more hidden gems than xbox and it's mascot games are top tier. Gamecube has heavy hitting titles that you can't find on even ps2 for a ton of genre's

Xbox has some decent stuff, but ps2 and gamecube are godlike in comparison, let's face the facts here. You miss almost nothing by just sticking with gamecube and ps2 while skipping on xbox.

Xbox will never have a value increase like ps2 or gamecube because it's library is inferior in almost every way. for a ton of genre's Xbox is literally a poor mans console it has almost nothing.

Xbox is by far the lesser option out of the 3, The peaks are way lower there is less variety and there is just way less stuff out there. Xbox is and has always been an inferior sony console

Came out to late, japan hates the console, lack of exclusives resulting in a lackluster library compared to the competition since Og xbox days and has only gotten worse with every new console gen. The only thing that xbox provides is competition towards sony so that's a good thing at least, especially considering that mainstream realistic racing sim and shooters are the big money makers in the industry.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:20:09 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 07:37:27 pm »
Oh well, more for me for cheap then. And the best versions of those games, at that.

The only exclusives I have left for the console I still want are Breakdown and Stubbs the Zombie (I have Stubbs, digitally, at least).

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 07:54:47 pm »
Oh well, more for me for cheap then. And the best versions of those games, at that.

The only exclusives I have left for the console I still want are Breakdown and Stubbs the Zombie (I have Stubbs, digitally, at least).

Not all superior XBOX versions are cheaper though Looking at outrun 2006 and operation genesis.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:59:56 pm by sworddude »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 07:04:56 pm »
Multiplayer on xbox was pretty much only good for shooters and racing games, name me games that are simular to mario party smash bros or some karting game etc. it pales in terms of multiplayer unless you really like certain genre's in wich you could just go to ps2 instead if where talking consoles with lesser multiplayer options. you probably have a better shot at interesting non shooter racing games on ps2.

I'm talking specifically about online multiplayer. If you wanted to play online that generation, Xbox was the console to get. The Playstation and Gamecube's online capabilities were horribly limited in comparison.

Also, while the system didn't have much for JRPGs (Which is because Japan hates the Xbox line, so most Japanese developers stayed away unless it was an easy port. Microsoft tried to fix that with the 360 getting exclusive games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but the hate persisted), it still had quite a few solid western ones like KOTOR or Morrowind.

Sure, but most online games sold pretty well at the time, a ton of xbox titles are pretty common and worth dollar amounts, let alone that we live in an era with to many shooters and even better online than ever.

The things that mainly increase in price are rpg's survival horror, some of the best action platformers or mascot games. Xbox doesn't really have any of those or budget qaulity ones.

And while it does have some like call of cthulu, it's price is pretty much the same since people rather pick a ps2 or ps1 instead with a way better library in that department in wich tons of games are far better aswell. instead of getting an xbox for just 1 or 2 games.
Really 1 or 2 games? Of course your welcome to your opinion but the Xbox was the most powerful system of it's time and alot of games that were released for Ps2,GameCube and Xbox ran the best on Xbox. Don't get me wrong I loved the ps2 and alot of games were exclusive but don't forget the Ps2 was released over a year before Xbox and was a huge success especially riding on the heals of the successful Ps1. The Xbox only sold 24 million units vs the Ps2 witch sold over 157 million units even though the Xbox was more powerful and games ran better on it couldn't overcome the popularity of Sony. So more demand/nostalgia means higher prices for Ps2 and not so much for Xbox that doesn't mean the system only had 1 or 2 good games.If a game was released for both systems usually it was supeior on Xbox.And Im already seeing Xbox games slowly climbing in price too might be time for some Xbox lovin while things are still cheep it is after all a great system too.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:13:03 pm by wartoy »

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 07:33:19 pm »
Multiplayer on xbox was pretty much only good for shooters and racing games, name me games that are simular to mario party smash bros or some karting game etc. it pales in terms of multiplayer unless you really like certain genre's in wich you could just go to ps2 instead if where talking consoles with lesser multiplayer options. you probably have a better shot at interesting non shooter racing games on ps2.

I'm talking specifically about online multiplayer. If you wanted to play online that generation, Xbox was the console to get. The Playstation and Gamecube's online capabilities were horribly limited in comparison.

Also, while the system didn't have much for JRPGs (Which is because Japan hates the Xbox line, so most Japanese developers stayed away unless it was an easy port. Microsoft tried to fix that with the 360 getting exclusive games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but the hate persisted), it still had quite a few solid western ones like KOTOR or Morrowind.

Sure, but most online games sold pretty well at the time, a ton of xbox titles are pretty common and worth dollar amounts, let alone that we live in an era with to many shooters and even better online than ever.

The things that mainly increase in price are rpg's survival horror, some of the best action platformers or mascot games. Xbox doesn't really have any of those or budget qaulity ones.

And while it does have some like call of cthulu, it's price is pretty much the same since people rather pick a ps2 or ps1 instead with a way better library in that department in wich tons of games are far better aswell. instead of getting an xbox for just 1 or 2 games.
Really 1 or 2 games? Of course your welcome to your opinion but the Xbox was the most powerful system of it's time and alot of games that were released for Ps2,GameCube and Xbox ran the best on Xbox. Don't get me wrong I loved the ps2 and alot of games were exclusive but don't forget the Ps2 was released over a year before Xbox and was a huge success especially riding on the heals of the successful Ps1. The Xbox only sold 24 million units vs the Ps2 witch sold over 157 million units even though the Xbox was more powerful and games ran better on it couldn't overcome the popularity of Sony. So more demand/nostalgia means higher prices for Ps2 and not so much for Xbox that doesn't mean the system only had 1 or 2 good games.If a game was released for both systems usually it was supeior on Xbox.And Im already seeing Xbox games slowly climbing in price too might be time for some Xbox lovin while things are still cheep it is after all a great system too.

by 1 or 2 games I mean for allot of genre's in wich xbox is pretty lacking. say your an rpg or a survival horror guy are you really buying a console for just 2 rpg's or survival horror games? Let alone pretty mediocre ones.

I wouldn't call it nostalgia if it's a poor mans console for a ton of genre's just look at shoot em ups, survival horror or rpg's for example, xbox is poor mans console for those,

Also if where talking superior versions? for the most part where talking titles that aren't that great, titles that get replaced by newer ones, they where pretty nice at the time but realistic games are just impressive at the time, not really the kind of games that people usually replay in the current era, almost no reason if you got the new version.

It's really cool that xbox had the best versions of hitman and burnout and tons of other realistic games. Problem is these games didnt age well not many people replay these let alone that realistic games such as these are impressive at the time but newer versions are just so much better and make these inferior.

it got some superior versions of spiderman, great it's not like the ps4 version made those games pretty much not worth a revisit anyway. but hey that's just me. Meanwhile ps2 and cube have tons of games that are worth replaying today, xbox doesnt have much of those it's very hard to deny that.

Nostalgia for ps2 LMAO can you even call it nostalgia if ps2 had  30 - 50 times the amount of games for a ton of genre's  and tons of games that outclass the best stuff on xbox easily.

I know the OG xbox library, own almost 100 of the better titles for the system, but the peaks are way lower and a ton of genre's are so lacking compared to it's competition it's not even funny, and again I can't repeat it enough, Most superior versions of games on Og xbox are not worthwhile to replay today usually pretty trash games wich where just impressive at the time and are replaced by the newer versions on next gen consoles. so i wouldn't call it that much of an advantage applies to only very few titles that are worthwhile.

It's true that the ps2 had a way larger playerbase but the library is so barebones in comparison Blaming nostlagia on ps2 fans is just being ignorant on how mediocre the OG xbox library is in comparison. let alone the heavy hitting stuff wich is pretty non existent if you don't like shooters. wich again in current era shooters galore to many maybe.

OG xbox was the peak of Xbox having some exclusives since it only got less and less with each new generation.

Xbox was a titan at the time, realistic games are money makers after all, problem is those games don't age well, no reason to play those if you got replacements on newer gen consoles,wich results in a library that doesnt have that many great titles to replay today compared to the cube and ps2. the reason why the games are relatively cheap even though way less out there. Why would people actually bother to get an xbox system if it doesn't have much of the genre's that they love. and yes shooters are great xbox got a ton of those, problem is though current era to many quality shooters that outclass it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:55:17 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 07:50:30 pm »
And Im already seeing Xbox games slowly climbing in price too might be time for some Xbox lovin while things are still cheep it is after all a great system too.

And they could go up faster based of how the Series X will handle Backwards compatibility, which is most likely going to take everything the One did and go even further.

One thing Microsoft has done well is ensure the longevity of their system's libraries, making it easy to access the older games even without the original hardware or software. Neither Sony or Nintendo have capitalized on that to the same extent as Microsoft did. If they did, a person could be able to play a game like Xenosaga on their PS4 as easily as a person could play Knights of the Old Republic on their One.

sworddude

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 07:57:55 pm »
And Im already seeing Xbox games slowly climbing in price too might be time for some Xbox lovin while things are still cheep it is after all a great system too.

And they could go up faster based of how the Series X will handle Backwards compatibility, which is most likely going to take everything the One did and go even further.

One thing Microsoft has done well is ensure the longevity of their system's libraries, making it easy to access the older games even without the original hardware or software. Neither Sony or Nintendo have capitalized on that to the same extent as Microsoft did. If they did, a person could be able to play a game like Xenosaga on their PS4 as easily as a person could play Knights of the Old Republic on their One.

if where talking a nostalgia title for xbox

Last time I checked star wars battlefront II dropped in value by 50% a few years ago, even platinum releases where worth a sizable chunk before that.

operation genesis same thing btw
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:01:52 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 08:11:07 pm »
Sorta proves my point there, as Battlefront II is available as a digital download for the One and was even given away for free as a Game with Gold after becoming playable on the One. Most people who want to play a game will choose a $10 download over a $50 physical copy.

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2020, 08:24:38 pm »
Sorta proves my point there, as Battlefront II is available as a digital download for the One and was even given away for free as a Game with Gold after becoming playable on the One. Most people who want to play a game will choose a $10 download over a $50 physical copy.

Let's take an example say castlevania and megaman X series

Both series are in stores on multiple consoles for cheap or have really nice compilation collections. why are the originals still so expensive even though you can get downloads of those for less than 10$ or a cheap collection on a current gen console

why spend hundreds if you can get all games for 50ish$ in one collection.

even cart only megaman X2 and 3 to name some examples didnt drop in price it stayed either roughly the same or increased in price.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:26:17 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2020, 09:09:56 pm »
Poor man's console for RPGs? What?! Xbox had plenty of RPGs. It didn't have a lot of JRPGs. But if you like Western RPGs, Xbox was fantastic.

sworddude

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2020, 09:12:43 pm »
Poor man's console for RPGs? What?! Xbox had plenty of RPGs. It didn't have a lot of JRPGs. But if you like Western RPGs, Xbox was fantastic.

you mean sudeki and jade empire?

if where talking morrow wind, why would you need to pick that title up if you have skyrim or witcher III as replacements.

Name me a list if it's that plentyfull of western rpg's?

I can think of only less than 10 titles on OG xbox. let alone than in a ton of those cases with exceptions most western rpg's don't age that well compared to jrpg's or turn based rpg's.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:23:14 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2020, 09:22:25 pm »
Morrowind, Arx Fatalis, Jade Empire, Fable, Dungeons & Dragons Heroes, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2, Justice League: Heroes, X-Men Legends 1 & 2, Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows. And even if you don't like every other game on that list, there's no denying Morrowind. That game alone is worth owning an Xbox or a 360. No other game like it on consoles that generation.

And to answer your question: I'd rather play Morrowind on Xbox because I'm not a PC gamer, and even if I was I'm not bothering with tweaking my PC and looking for files to download to make it work in 2020.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:25:56 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2020, 10:27:47 pm »

if where talking morrow wind, why would you need to pick that title up if you have skyrim or witcher III as replacements.

Morrowind plays very, very differently than either of those games. That's sorta like asking why bother playing Chrono Trigger when you've got Tales of Vesperia or Ni No Kuni II as replacements.