Author Topic: Zelda test cart?  (Read 4267 times)

matt

Zelda test cart?
« on: March 22, 2011, 10:20:31 pm »
Has anyone ever seen one of these before? It's new to me and the action has no details.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zelda-Test-Cartridge-/120701781051#ht_500wt_1156

scott

Re: Zelda test cart?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:10:38 pm »
If you look at the label, it's a NES-ZL-USA... isn't that the same number as the standard one? Wouldn't they number it something different? Also, I've seen a couple fake carts around... actually the store we were at this weekend had a fake Donkey Kong Land III cart... of course the label was a total  knockoff, was lacking the "Land" in the title and the III was a 3. and the cart was grey, so that was dead giveaway.

Anyway back on topic. I'm voting pirate cart on this one.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:14:04 pm »
Its a test cart used by Nintendo certified repair shops to test the consoles after repair... Pretty rare...

I don't know if there is any difference in the gameplay though.

jobocan

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 11:14:22 pm »
I HAVE heard about these carts... apparently they were used to test NES consoles and accessories in Nintendo repair shops back in the day, or something like that. From what I've seen in my research, there's a variety of those test carts (Duck Hunt, ROB, Power Pad, Port Test, and a few others), but each of them is fairly rare (some only have one known copy, others are a little bit more common like Duck Hunt and Zelda).

From what I've heard, at least in Zelda's case, it's no different from the actual cartridge other than the yellow casing. Finding actual concrete information on those isn't easy (or maybe I'm just being stupid in how I'm searching for it).

scott

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:28:46 pm »
Ha, color me enlightened.

matt

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:22:10 am »
TIL that if you paste a Youtube link into your post, it'll show the video. ha

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 04:28:25 pm »
> matt
> TIL that if you paste a Youtube link into your post, it'll show the video. ha
haha

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 11:13:15 am »
I was in a Vintage Stock in my area the other day talking to one of the guys that works there, and I had asked him if he collected. His response was that he didn't, but he did have a few items he was proud of, one of them (as he explained) a "yellow gold Zelda cart, complete I'm box". He didn't describe it as a test cart, he just said that there were a few carts that had more of a yellow tinge to them, although they were still the shiny coating. I tried to clarify with him and asked, okay, is it yellow or still the gold color?" And his answer to me was to "just look it up online". Personally I think the guy is full of shit/very confused about what he actually has because I've looked online and can't find a damn thing. I'm gonna ask him to bring it in for me to see, that way the proof will be in the pudding.

Anybody know anything more about this?
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 12:01:11 pm »
As far as I'm aware it didn't come in a box, so someone took the test cart and sold it to him in a Zelda box.

The games are identical game play wise.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 12:36:10 pm »
No its definitely not a test cart, he described it as being an early edition or something. I think he is just highly confused and has a regular Zelda that he thinks looks a bit different for one reason or another. I could be wrong but when somebody can't fully explain what they have it makes me weary.
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

darko

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 09:22:04 am »
It looks like a test cart to me. That is, unless it's a reproduction cart.

scott

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 09:34:00 am »
I've seen some old Gold carts and pretty much all of them still look bright gold metallic, no extra yellowing. If it was a test cart, I doubt Nintendo would put something only repair techs are supposed to see in retail packaging.

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 09:38:55 am »
I've seen some old Gold carts and pretty much all of them still look bright gold metallic, no extra yellowing. If it was a test cart, I doubt Nintendo would put something only repair techs are supposed to see in retail packaging.

My thoughts exactly. I think the dude is confused about what he has due to some cartridge fading or something.