Author Topic: Avengers 2020 Game  (Read 6851 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Avengers 2020 Game
« on: August 03, 2020, 01:05:04 pm »

Are you interested in this one?

I was on the fence about it, honestly. From what we've seen it looks like a pretty generic action game. And it's odd since it's based on the movies, but the characters look nothing like the movies. Why not just base it on the comics if you aren't gonna pay for character likenesses?

But recently I heard there's gonna be unlockables and upgradable stuff for your characters. The way I heard it is that fans are upset about it because it looked similar to Destiny's upgrade system. But personally, I like hearing that there's gonna be upgradables and unlockables at all. I mean, that adds a bit more meat to the gameplay than just "beat-up the bad guys then fight a boss". So now I'm a bit interested. May use a little of that sweet stimulus dough to pre-order it, because why not since we have the extra money.

What do you think? Are you gonna check it out?

Re: Avengers 2020 Game
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 01:06:39 pm »
I thought that it was specifically not based on the movies?  Other than that, though I agree with your assessment.  Completely generic action game that has done nothing to distinguish itself.  They probably felt like the name was enough.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 01:16:02 pm »
See, it's confusing. I thought it was based on the movies because they're wearing movie costumes. (I know Kamala wasn't in the movies, but I thought she was just added for the game.)

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 01:19:20 pm »
I'm not interested in this, but I know that Spider-Man is a PlayStation exclusive character and that lot of non-Sony adopters are upset about it.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 01:19:55 pm »
I think the general game aspect looks good, a lot of character customization and different looks to get, the art style they went with where it's kinda MCU, but not, isn't the best.  It's kinda the opposite of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, where I think that game seems kinda basic and dull in execution, but has a full comic book character art style to it that looks good.

I'll likely be getting the game, but there's a real hefty open beta coming up this month that'll give me a good idea if I'll like it or not.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 01:31:04 pm »
I'm not interested in this, but I know that Spider-Man is a PlayStation exclusive character and that lot of non-Sony adopters are upset about it.

I didn't know that. Still won't get me to get the PS4 version because I like my achievements.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 03:15:02 pm »

I didn't know that. Still won't get me to get the PS4 version because I like my achievements.

Nope
https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-spider-man-ps4-exclusive-not-correct

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 03:20:57 pm »

Nope
https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-spider-man-ps4-exclusive-not-correct

PlayStation EU disagrees.  Posted about 2 hours after that IGN article.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1290331866868973573

EDIT: And IGN has updated their article saying that the denial was incorrect.

ferraroso

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 09:05:22 pm »
I just wonder whether this game will be set in the same universe as the PS4's Marvel's Spider-Man...
I remember that, at a point of the game, Spider-Man says something about the Avengers beeing on the west coast and, since the first chapter of their game seems to be set in San Francisco, I think it would make sense (even though both games are made and published by completely different companies).

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 09:22:28 pm »
I just wonder whether this game will be set in the same universe as the PS4's Marvel's Spider-Man...
I remember that, at a point of the game, Spider-Man says something about the Avengers beeing on the west coast and, since the first chapter of their game seems to be set in San Francisco, I think it would make sense (even though both games are made and published by completely different companies).

I've been out of the comics game for a long, long time...but I recall the "West Coast Avengers" being a different team altogether. Jeez, I hadn't even thought of that name in a long, long time...lol

to answer- I also think this looks like a generic superhero game....but I'm OK with that. I will likely get it, but after it drops in price. looks like a nice $20-30 game to me.

Edit: I haven;'t followed the Marvel Univers in some time, but I know DC did some wacko shit with their timelines in the 80's If I'm oblivious to some timeline shift, etc....sorry!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:25:24 pm by wolff242 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 09:34:35 pm »
Yeah, The West Coast Avengers are another team.

Couldn't be set in that same universe if Sony has the rights and it's a multiplatform game.

mark1982

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 01:33:10 am »
Was watching some gameplay recently and it looked pretty rough, Thor kept shifting from normal stance to flight because of a small elevation on the ground.

Didn't interest me much when it was first announced, kinda looked like those straight to DVD type movies, probably because it has that Marvel Movies vibe to it.

However my twitter feed exploded last night with the PS4 exclusive Spidey, people seem not too happy about it.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:38:25 am by mark1982 »
  l    l 

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 08:32:37 am »
Couldn't be set in that same universe if Sony has the rights and it's a multiplatform game.
Right, and Spiderman isn't in the MCU because Sony has the rights.

Don't get me wrong, you're probably right about it not being the same universe, but my understanding is with both games Marvel was involved in the process.  Could be very much like the MCU, Sony has Spiderman, but Marvel has everything else.

ferraroso

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 10:46:34 am »
Could be very much like the MCU, Sony has Spiderman, but Marvel has everything else.
That's exactly how I think the negotiations on the use of Marvel properties may be working between Sony/Insomniac and SquareEnix/Crystal Dynamics.

And I'm aware that the West Coast Avengers are a different group (I used to read a lot of Marvel in the 80's and 90's), but I'm sure there's a quote of Spider-Man saying that the Avengers were in the west coast during the events of his PS4 game.
It maybe a coincidence, but I'd love seeing some shared universe in the video games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 11:07:49 am »
They could work out a deal like that, sure. But I haven't heard anything like that. Movie rights and video game rights are two different licenses. And if Spider-Man is exclusive to Sony in this game already, then I doubt any deal was worked out.